Author Topic: When I find a connector, how to work out which is the mating connector?  (Read 2883 times)

Offline king.osloTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hello there,

I have been frustrated each time I want to buy I connector, because I cannot work out which is the mating connector. Every time I try, I get it wrong, there has always one billion different keyings, and all sorts of tiny variations between connectors which look very similar, similar pich etc.

What are your algorithms for deducing which is the mating connector?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: When I find a connector, how to work out which is the mating connector?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 11:33:10 pm »
Datasheets and lot of googling.  Online catalogs are the best because they tell you exact part number and series, usually with datasheet. So even if there isn't mating part number it the datasheet you can look at manufacturer website info for this series of connector. That's why I hate to buy connectors at local shops. They just sell something, don't even tell what is the actual model.

Offline karlmag

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:59:07 pm »
Hello there,

I have been frustrated each time I want to buy I connector, because I cannot work out which is the mating connector. Every time I try, I get it wrong, there has always one billion different keyings, and all sorts of tiny variations between connectors which look very similar, similar pich etc.

What are your algorithms for deducing which is the mating connector?

Hi Marius,

I guess I would tend to stick with types of connectors I know already.
That doesn't always scale though.  I guess (as someone mentioned) reading datasheets might help.
But yeah, there is a gazillion different connectors out there. Certainly doesn't make it easier to choose which to use, or even find mating ones in some circumstances. Sometimes asking whoever you are buying from might help, though sometimes possibly not depending on who they are.
I would think asking around here might help in specific cases though.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:40:19 am »
mechanical drawing.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 05:20:29 am »
First get a box, place 2 connectors in the box, make sure one is a female ans one a male, cover the box. Come back in 9 months to see if you have any baby connectors. If you do your troubles are over.

But seriously a good place to start is a search for "Military connector specifications" these use a standardized numbering system and all are marked (anyone that makes these will have a cross to them). Basically it's not an easy task to just identify a manufacturer in some cases. Luckily you fave a forum where you can ask questions and post a picture. My advice if you are making an item from scratch keep it simple and available. If you need to connect to an existing system you need to do some searching. Get a printed catalog from digikey or swipe an old one, flip pages and get used to the hundreds of styles.   

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 04:32:33 am »
I buy from Digikey and on the product page they often have a link to the mating connector part.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 07:06:21 am »
What type of connector are we talking about? My choice of connector often comes down to how much information is available about the connector range as I have no desire to spend hours on the phone with distributors and manufacturers trying to work out how to use their parts. Military connectors are a godsend as the information is so concise and clear but obviously they are expensive. The other end of the spectrum is tiny plastic connectors which are an absolute nightmare and I often have to contact TE to find out what the other half of their connector is. Somewhere in the middle you have inexpensive plastic connectors like Deutsch which are well documented and have an easy part number system so that you can make up the part number for the mating half.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf