Author Topic: Where can I buy a Hakko soldering station online?  (Read 5400 times)

Offline MarkSTopic starter

• Supporter
Where can I buy a Hakko soldering station online?
« on: February 07, 2016, 01:45:35 am »
I keep reading that most, if not all, of the Hakko's offered online are fakes. There is nowhere locally where I can get one, which leaves online as my only choice. So... What are my options?

I've checked Mouser and Digikey, with no results.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:48:02 am by MarkS »

Offline dadler

• Supporter

Offline Sinusoidal

• Supporter
Re: Where can I buy a Hakko soldering station online?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 01:53:55 am »
Seeing as you're in the US I would suggest Tequipment. They have a stellar history with EEVBlog forum members and will definitely only sell you a genuine product.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:56:12 am »
Thank you! I'm currently using a Radio Shack fire stick and the tip needs to be replaced. That's a problem with Radio Shack closing down.  :-\

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 02:01:08 am »
Yep, Tequipment is great.  Zoro tools is also very good and often have 20% off and sometimes 30% off coupons.

Offline haningp

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 02:01:37 am »
I bought one recently from Amazon.  You can also get one from Adafruit

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 02:03:15 am »
I to used to be a Radio Shack firestick wielding serial tip destroyer, but after getting a Hakko I never do anymore.  Since it heats up in just a few seconds, you actually shut it off when you're not using it.  Also since the temperature is actually controlled, the tip is never overheated.
My only regret is not getting one years ago.

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 02:11:43 am »
I bought one recently from Amazon.  You can also get one from Adafruit

I got a Weller WES51 from Amazon, for $87.

I like blue. Hakko's are blue. :-DD

And I think I'll avoid Amazon and ebay. It was kind of the whole point in asking here. It isn't that I couldn't find Hakko's online, but that I couldn't be sure that what I was finding was legitimate.

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 09:53:40 am »
I got mine (888D) from http://www.batterfly.com/shop/, but chek shipping costs.
To get free shipping to Sweden, I had to throw in some tips...and a Rigol DS1054Z!

Very good and friendly service: I had to hold the shipment as I went on an unexpected business trip and they were helpful and responsive.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 11:06:47 am »
Thank you! I'm currently using a Radio Shack fire stick and the tip needs to be replaced. That's a problem with Radio Shack closing down.  :-\
RadioShack are only closing a lot of their stores. They're still around and you can order online.

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 11:57:41 am »
RadioShack are only closing a lot of their stores. They're still around and you can order online.

OK, I admit... That was an excuse. Still, it is time to upgrade the firestick to something... better...

Offline Paul Price

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 05:37:55 pm »
Just because there are rumors that something is a fake doesn't mean it doesn't work well or is a fake at all.
There were some trumpeting rumors that B. Obama wasn't really a U.S. citizen, for example.

Why not build your own fake and save a lot of money, reuse the old firestick cabinet  and parts from the Radio Shack and learn some electronic skills?

See the topic below for a good, but very simple temperature controller schematic and all how to build it just with salvaged parts easy to find.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/picking-a-soldering-station/msg839770/#msg839770

You can get a handle for <$2 online and even a genuine Hakko 888D Handle for the for a few dollars as well. Once you have a temperature controlled handle, you've got the part of a soldering station that gives you the performance you want.. all you need then is a transformer and a simple controller circuit and somewhere to both park your handle and clean your tip.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:48:34 am by Paul Price »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 07:23:15 pm »
If you mean to purchase now, TEquipment will have the genuine article, and they're prices are usually impossible to beat once you apply the EEVBlog discount code (I'll send you a PM). If you want to take a step up from the entry level FX-888D, then the FX-951 is the unit to look at (pricing is excellent right now).

That said, if you can wait for one of the good sales at Zoro, it's hard to beat 20%, or better yet, one of their 30% off sales (they only do these a few times a year, so it's good to put stuff in the shopping cart and sit on it until one of them roll around; saving sufficient funds for the big purchase in the mean time).  >:D

Hope this helps.  :)

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 08:49:18 pm »
You just have to go to the Hakko USA website and click on "Where to buy". You will then get the list of the official Hakko re-sellers.

www.hakkousa.com

I keep reading that most, if not all, of the Hakko's offered online are fakes. There is nowhere locally where I can get one, which leaves online as my only choice. So... What are my options?

Offline jobog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 02:54:40 am »
Just want to add another vote in favor of tequipment.  Their prices are good and you can't beat the service.

Offline tobor

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 05:18:37 am »
I bought my FX888 from B&D Enterprises wwe.bdent.com  good price and good service.

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 01:11:10 pm »
I'm going to use TEquipment. Thanks, everyone!

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 02:18:25 pm »

I've checked Mouser and Digikey, with no results.

E-bay but I'd be careful of any that are supposed to be new since there are a lot of fakes coming out of you know where. But E-Greed is a good source for used equipment. Just be sure that it's listed as "Used"  and not "For Repair or Parts".  If it's listed as "used", E-bay will FORCE the seller to stand behind it if it doesn't work, even if they list it as "no returns". "No returns" means nothing to E-bay.   I just went through this last week with a piece of camera equipment.  After the seller failed to respond, I filed a complaint with Ebay and they sent me a return shipping label and after the item arrived back at the seller, E-bay refunded my money.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf