Author Topic: Where to buy "cool panel stuff" in Ireland or the UK?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline MarkDennehyTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Stochastic Geometry
Where to buy "cool panel stuff" in Ireland or the UK?
« on: February 05, 2016, 11:53:47 pm »
So slightly odd project - you've probably seen this homework desk and the matching spaceship. I'm looking to build something similar for the toddler here, and I'm trying to source fun-looking panel controls and meters and the like (so it's slightly odd in that I'm building from the front panel back :D ).

I've scoured through aliexpress (and the arcade button packs look promising) and ebay.ie, ebay.co.uk and ebay.de for the "for parts" items in the test equipment sections with an eye to cannibalising the front panels, but does anyone have any suggestions for other places to take a peek at?

Mostly I'm looking for things like analog panel meters, old-fashioned bulb lights, big clunky switches and so on. Touchscreen OLED 60" retina displays are nothing to a 3.5-year-old, but a 1964 vintage 8-position 12-pole wafer switch with an appropriately chunky knob and skirt wired up to a few small bulbs in old-school coloured glass panel housings? Fascinating :D

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: Where to buy "cool panel stuff" in Ireland or the UK?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 12:44:28 am »
Do you guys have auto "wrecking yards" there in Ireland?  That would seem like a possible source of funky switches and meters from vehicle dashboards.  We have surplus electronics shops in many places where you can find random switches, indicators, meters, etc.  Many started out as military-surplus shops back in the day.  And places that sell auto accessories have lighted toggle switches, etc. for the after-market accessory crowd.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:47:14 am by Richard Crowley »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf