Author Topic: Which bandwidth should I choose?  (Read 7612 times)

Offline EdEditzTopic starter

• Contributor
Which bandwidth should I choose?
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:38:38 pm »
Hello, My name is Eddy and this is my first post on this forum.  I'm new to the world of digital oscilloscopes (I have an old Tektronix 545 with 102 vacuum tubes in it but it's broken) and am looking to buy my first scope. Now I work a lot with RF circuits and I want to be able to see a 100MHz sine-wave on my scope with reasonable quality. Now I have my eye on either the Rigol DS1054Z that Dave says is the best bang for buck you can get, but that's 50MHz (and I don't trust my capability to hack it) or the Siglent SDS1202X which is 200MHz. My question is, if I go for the Rigol, will I be able to view a 100MHz signal with some reasonable resolution?

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
Re: Which bandwidth should I choose?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:43:41 pm »
The hack is dead-easy. It literally took me 15 minutes to read the thread and 5 minutes to execute. (I did it over ssh, which I think is easier/faster than doing it via the keypad.)

Neither of those scopes will be suitable for 100MHz work. In general, you want a scope bandwidth spec of at least 5x the highest frequency you will use.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 07:49:59 pm »
Hello, My name is Eddy and this is my first post on this forum.  I'm new to the world of digital oscilloscopes (I have an old Tektronix 545 with 102 vacuum tubes in it but it's broken) and am looking to buy my first scope. Now I work a lot with RF circuits and I want to be able to see a 100MHz sine-wave on my scope with reasonable quality. Now I have my eye on either the Rigol DS1054Z that Dave says is the best bang for buck you can get, but that's 50MHz (and I don't trust my capability to hack it) or the Siglent SDS1202X which is 200MHz. My question is, if I go for the Rigol, will I be able to view a 100MHz signal with some reasonable resolution?
Welcome to the forum.

There's a 100 MHz difference in the 3dB point between these DSO's, no surprise which one will display a 100 MHz signal more accurately.
BTW, don't you mean SDS1202X-E ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 08:04:39 pm »
Just wondering why you would like to see a 100MHz sine on your scope? If you are working with RF a spectrum analyzer would make a lot more sense, because you will never be able to for instance tell the harmonics content just by looking at your scope screen.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 09:06:52 pm »
I don't own a Siglent so I cannot endorse them, Tautech can send me one, but he has never offered :D.

The Rigol DS1054Z is upgraded by putting in one code, with that code you not only unlock the bandwidth but also all the other advanced software options Trigger, Decoder, Mem Depth, Recorder. It's trivial to do but entirely up to you. If you want to use the $1000 or so of free software options for more than a few days you can and if you change your mind you can reset it. It has that hardware capability for 100MHz built in so it's purely a code that enables the software.

But yeah the DS1054Z is a nice scope, it's not perfect and no oscilloscope is. When you're making comparisons take note that the DS1054Z is a 4 channel oscilloscope.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline yada

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 01:18:51 am »
So if you are doing RF stuff in the 0-999 MHz range you wnt something that can display 5 times that?

I always thought the band width was a measure of how much information was contained in the signal you were feeding into it, but it literally means what frequency the scope will go up to?

What happens if you put a 100MHz sine wave into a 50MHz scope? Or what would happen to the trace on the screen if you adjusted 50MHz signal up to 51MHz? Would it just stop displaying a signal?

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 02:01:01 am »
The scope doesn't "know" what frequency the signal is you're sending it. (And in fact, a square wave contains multiple harmonics higher than the frequencies that we measure the square wave to be. You want to be able to see the 3rd and 5th harmonic to get a good representation of the square wave.)

A scope's bandwidth rating is generally the point at which the measured amplitude of a sine wave of that frequency is down -3dB from the truth. It doesn't suddenly "stop working" like you might be thinking of an old CRT monitor or something.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 07:15:31 am »
I obviously am confused about the meaning of bandwidth. Thanks for your replies.  :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 07:19:21 am »
BTW, don't you mean SDS1202X-E ?

That one is brand new and would likely be the best bang-per-buck for 200MHz.
But as others have said, the requirement to see 100MHz RF sine waves is a bit puzzling. But for sure you want a 200MHz scope for accurate 100MHz sine wave measurement. But the Riogl will display up to 150MHz or so IIRC with reduced amplitude.

The following users thanked this post: EdEditz

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 08:40:42 am »
That is the one I meant btw. the SDS1202X-E. I think that's the one I will go for. What I meant with being able to see a 100MHz sinewave is just to not have the signal be deformed by lack of resolution. You know, that the sinewave can't be accurately reproduced by the scope but I know now from your answers that that won't happen not even with a 50MHz scope. May sound like a stupid question to begin with but I'm just not familiar with digital scopes. Hopefully that will change soon :)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 02:09:00 pm »
I obviously am confused about the meaning of bandwidth. Thanks for your replies.  :)

Bandwidth, like happiness in the old song, is "different things to different people".

(1) Occupied  spectrum of a signal--- for instance, if displayed on a Spectrum Analyser, an AM Medium Frequency Broadcast Station in Australia will occupy around 18kHz of spectrum around the Medium Frequency carrier ( other countries may vary), whereas a VHF Stereo Broadcast transmission will occupy around 200kHz.

(2)The range of frequencies which may pass through a device, whilst the device maintains the same gain or loss-- the "bandwidth" of the device.

(3)As Yada says above," a measure of how much information was contained in the signal" .
In simple amplifiers & modulation systems, there is a direct relationship between this & bandwidth as in (1), but with sophisticated modulation systems it is possible to send a lot more information with the same occupied spectrum.

With the proliferation of computer equipment, the original meaning of (1) & (2) have been blurred due to the propensity of IT people to refer to bandwidth as "bit rate or throughput, measured in bits per second (bit/s)".
Marketing people, of course, stomp across every one of these meanings with hobnailed boots!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth

Everybody leapt in with both feet to lecture the OP about the instrument bandwidth necessary to display 100MHz square waves.
Apparently, they didn't notice the reference to RF.

Far from needing to see harmonics of the fundamental, out to 5f, in RF  work, we want to minimise harmonics!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 02:45:17 pm »
That is the one I meant btw. the SDS1202X-E. I think that's the one I will go for. What I meant with being able to see a 100MHz sinewave is just to not have the signal be deformed by lack of resolution. You know, that the sinewave can't be accurately reproduced by the scope but I know now from your answers that that won't happen not even with a 50MHz scope. May sound like a stupid question to begin with but I'm just not familiar with digital scopes. Hopefully that will change soon :)

Modern digital scopes are no different than analog scopes. The sample rate (along with SinX/X interpolation) is high enough not to cause the problem you are alluding to.
So a digital scopes bandwidth roll off will basically be similar to that of an analog scope, as will be the trigger system as well.

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 03:28:55 pm »

Based on the videos from The Defpom, that looks like a very nice scope.  I have the DS1054Z so I am not looking for another scope but, if I was, that SDS1202X-E would be on the list.  Alas, for my needs, I think 4 channels outweighs the benefit of the 200 MHz bandwidth.

There is another thing about the SDS:  It is brand new and there are teething problems.  Siglent needs to put out a revision to the firmware but it hasn't happened so far.  Well, to be fair, the scope has only been around for a month or so.  It makes more sense to hold off a bit and wait to find out what happens in the field.  Fix several things instead of just a couple.

The DS1054Z has been around for a couple of years and has had a few revisions.  The bugs are pretty much ironed out.  That doesn't make the scope 'perfect' but it is vastly improved.

You can search YouTube for 'TheDefPom SDS1202' to find the two review videos.

Offline Electric2000

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 03:12:20 am »
What is the 3db bandwidth of rigol ds1054z?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 07:59:09 am »
If you are interested in "RF work", then a scope is probably the wrong tool. As a gross simplification, scopes are designed to look at the "rough" waveform shape of large amplitude signals - but RF circuits are dependent on the linearity of small amplitude signals including those that are far away from the frequency of interest. Much RF work is based on frequency domain analysis and specifications, but scopes operate in the time domain (exception: the baseband signal being transmitted/received).

The concept of "you need 5*fc" to see a digital signal is misleading to the point of uselessness. For a scope operating in the time domain all that matters is the rise/fall time; the period is completely irrelevant. The rule of thumb is that BW=0.35/tr.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 11:47:55 am »

Modern digital scopes are no different than analog scopes. The sample rate (along with SinX/X interpolation) is high enough not to cause the problem you are alluding to.
So a digital scopes bandwidth roll off will basically be similar to that of an analog scope, as will be the trigger system as well.
That's what I used to think, but according to this post and video, the roll-off of digital scope is MUCH steeper.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/digital-oscilloscope-behind-the-scenes-presentation/

What bandwith you need depends on the signals you want to look at.
The 5*fc is very roughly a rule of dumb for square wave type signals, simply because of harmonics.
Although a square wave with only 5 harmonics still doesn't really look like a square wave.
You'd rather need the 9th harmonic or so.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 01:47:09 am »

That's what I used to think, but according to this post and video, the roll-off of digital scope is MUCH steeper.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/digital-oscilloscope-behind-the-scenes-presentation/

The 5*fc is very roughly a rule of dumb for square wave type signals, simply because of harmonics.
Although a square wave with only 5 harmonics still doesn't really look like a square wave.

They used to teach us that the 7th harmonic was the bare minimum to get a reasonable square wave.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 03:29:52 am »
Some quick charting in Excel....

Pick your poison:

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 07:09:06 am »
What is the 3db bandwidth of rigol ds1054z?

People measured around 120-130 MHz for -3dB...

Offline djnz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 09:12:07 am »
Some quick charting in Excel....

Pick your poison:
(image)

Or check this out:
 https://sara.ng/apps/square-wave/

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 10:45:53 am »

They used to teach us that the 7th harmonic was the bare minimum to get a reasonable square wave.
That's correct, the bare minimum :)
So you want to have just a little more than that.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 12:41:31 pm »
Just wondering why you would like to see a 100MHz sine on your scope? If you are working with RF a spectrum analyzer would make a lot more sense, because you will never be able to for instance tell the harmonics content just by looking at your scope screen.
+1 re Spectrum Analyser for RF work; as a Ham I would use a Spec Analyser much more often. For a bit more money both Rigol and Siglent make a nice (up to 1-2GHz -edit 3GHz - Thanks tautech) Spec An with  built in tracking generator. really useful for filters, testing amplifiers, antennas etc.
As a fellow Tek 545 owner - look after that beauty!
Robert
Edit corrected freq range for SA
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:54:41 am by VK5RC »
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 12:43:40 pm »
Ringing noise (and overshoot) of switching MOSFETs for example?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 02:16:13 pm »

As TS said: "Now I work a lot with RF circuits and I want to be able to see a 100MHz sine-wave"
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 02:36:15 pm »

As TS said: "Now I work a lot with RF circuits and I want to be able to see a 100MHz sine-wave"
Oh, sorry, it was a specific questions towards the TS

I thought you asked just a general question  ;D ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf