Author Topic: Which Of These Bulbs Are Refridgerator-Compliant?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Which Of These Bulbs Are Refridgerator-Compliant?
« on: December 16, 2012, 07:07:11 pm »
I got dead E-14 10W filament bulb in my refridgerator (bears B rating in energy conservation) located above ultraviolet bulb which is claimed to eradicate bacteria. While the latter might be special bulb, I wonder about the former. It is pygmy oval shaped filament bulb that illuminates food in refridgerator that I need replaced.

I have scrolled website selling similar and found few there in different shapes and Wattages. See attached image below (only the last bulb is E-27) . I wonder whether having filament or fluorescent bulb, color temperature matters and different wattage as well? If failed lamp was 10W filament and I install 10W fluorescent day light, then it will be 4x times brighter than filament? Since my refridgerator is B rated in energy conservation, is it better to find 10W bulb?

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
Re: Which Of These Bulbs Are Refridgerator-Compliant?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 07:15:04 pm »
I think all but the fluorescent one would work fine.

The fluorescent one might die soon due to humidity or not work right due to low temperatures (it has transformer and transistors inside and capacitors in it) and there's also the small issue of mercury if it breaks inside (yeah, i know there's a ridiculously small amount of mercury in them, less than what's inside a few cans of tuna but still...). And they're not quite designed to be turned on and off for small periods of time.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Which Of These Bulbs Are Refridgerator-Compliant?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:39:10 pm »
Fridge light is best as incandescent. It is on so little ( unless you leave the door open for hours at a time) that there will be no energy savings over any other lamp. CFL not a thing to use for a frequent switched lamp, it only is warranted to work for around 1000 starts at best, and will never get warm enough to light fully so will either be pink and dim or just dim, both with a short life. LED will work if it is hermetically sealed, but there are none on the market as yet in this application.

You can use the15W lamp in it's place, the oven ones have thicker glass so are less likely to die from thermal shock. The 5W extra will not be noticed at all unless the switch is stuck on and the lamp burns all the time. Check that, most lamps last at least 5 years in this application, often longer than 10 years.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf