Author Topic: [Solved] Which of these two desoldering irons is the best one?  (Read 5308 times)

Offline Luciano2572Topic starter

• Contributor
[Solved] Which of these two desoldering irons is the best one?
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:57:11 am »
Heya EEVblog forum members;
I've been searching for a decent "cheap" desoldering iron, and I've found these 2 options:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/45W-Watt-Desoldering-Iron-solder-remover-suction-pump-Desolder-Tool-W-stand-/261066644554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc8c8dc4a - 20$ + 17$ Shipping --- (I've read a bit about it, looks like it can be found for 11$ on some stores in the US, and it seems to do the job)
And this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-30W-220V-50Hz-Electric-Vacuum-Solder-Sucker-Desoldering-Pump-Iron-Gun-/151137043084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233078428c 29$ + 12$ shipping -- Searched but didn't find any video/review on it..  :-//
Anyone used the 2nd one?
I'd also need to use a transformer for the 2nd one, since it's 220V.
It's for a home/hobby btw.

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks in advance - Luciano

edit:
I live in Brazil, so that's why the expensive shipping  :p
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:43:41 am by Luciano2572 »

Offline sammyhwang

• Contributor
Re: Which of these two desoldering irons is the best one?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:09:42 am »
For your hobby use, a desoldering pump should be enough. But then again we all know those pumps are not the eaiest things to use. They both look a bit dodgy, I suggest if you ABOSOLUTELY want to get these two... then the second one is probably better with the electric pump. But at this price range thats what you would expect. I would get a moderately priced desoldering station. They are not that expensive. Or get a well made vacuum desoldering gun. Believe me get a gun shaped one, try to use your soldering iron at 90 degrees, not very comftable eh?

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 02:18:41 am »
I'll go with the first. More watts (heats faster, holds heat a bit better), less things to fail.

The first model is similar to something Radioshack (if i remember correctly) sold in US. You just squeeze ball, put iron over the spot, release the ball and it will suck solder.  Downside: until you get used with it, you need both hands.

The second one is only 30 watts so it will take more time to heat up between suctions. It will be LARGE and hard to hold in hand (it will be hard to keep in hand as you normally hold a solder iron or a pen) . While you can use one hand to desolder (and press that tiny button) your hand will get tired from holding it. Also, the pump will vibrate and move the pump so if you try to clean some surface mount solder, it's hard to use. You basically have to have a lead stuck in the tip to keep the gun in place when doing suction.
The gun will also require you to replace filters on it, which are there to prevent solder from getting in the pump.. and the pump won't suck well if the filters are clogged...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 02:33:33 am »
I'd also go with the first. It's a knock-off of an old Weller (current model would be the DS40). Less to go wrong IMHO, and more likely to be easier to clean (don't see a collection chamber on the 2nd unit you posted).

Newer designs have a collection system of some sort. Hakko makes an all-in-one unit (Hakko 808), but it's not exactly inexpensive (~$181USD, 120V model from Amazon). Note the see-thru amber tube on the top, just behind where the metal tube meets the main plastic body.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 02:47:35 am »
I don't think you will be happy with either one.  I doubt the second one will work after the a few uses.  The first one will have to heat up for a long time before it will work properly and then it will take two hands.  In that price range I'd recommend a good solder sucker and some solder wick.

Offline madworm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 03:24:20 am »
The best part about the 1st ebay item is the embedded song by Weird Al Yankovic ;-)

I'd be extremely cautious. Exposed metal parts, but the plug doesn't have a safety-earth pin. Not good.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:50:00 am by madworm »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 03:33:43 am »
I have the Radio Shack tool.  It does take about 5 minutes or so to come up to temperature.  It can be operated 1 handed, I did it That way.  If the board you are working on is multilayered and has vias, you will not be able to unsolder the components.  Overall, it is not of good quality.  I just picked up a Zhongdi XD-985.  Yes, it is a lot more expensive but it works a treat.  If you plan on doing a fair amount of unsoldering through hole components, I would recommend this one.  I would love to have a Hakko, but they are priced way out of my league and I am not in a production facility here at home.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 04:21:03 am »

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 04:36:02 am »
I used the first one for a long time (still have it). It will work ok with leaded solder so if you have to desolder lead free stuff you'll have to add leaded solder first and then try to remove the mixed solder. It is tricky to desolder with one hand, you'll get tired quickly unless you have very strong hands as you have to squeeze and hold the lemon and release quickly to get good suction while holding the tip at the proper angle (90) to get good suction. Sometimes desoldering braid works better but gets expensive too as the good quality one is not cheap. I'm not familiar with the second unit. I purchased the Hakko 808 recently with enough points on my credit card but I haven't had the chance to test it extensively the initial results are good, just as the ones shown in youtube videos.. It helps that the pump is electric so you can concentrate on desoldering the item. Just wait a little bit longer and get something better.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 06:52:11 am »
I purchased the Hakko 808 recently with enough points on my credit card but I haven't had the chance to test it extensively the initial results are good, just as the ones shown in youtube videos..

I have used the 808 for some time and it works great. I keep it in a drawer so it does not take desk space and get it out when needed. It heats fast, suction power is very good (a short squeeze of the trigger and the PTH is cleaned) and cleaning it is easy (use the provided 1mm long wire if get get stuck or remove and empty the spring loaded glass capsule). It does not have an on/off switch so I plug it only when using. I got rid of the plastic case, put all the accessories in a nylon bad and life is good. Yet have to figure out what that big black plastic accessory does.

Offline AKM

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 11:21:02 am »
I think you are going to have a bad day desoldering with 30w.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 01:56:35 pm »
I purchased the Hakko 808 recently with enough points on my credit card but I haven't had the chance to test it extensively the initial results are good, just as the ones shown in youtube videos..

I have used the 808 for some time and it works great. I keep it in a drawer so it does not take desk space and get it out when needed. It heats fast, suction power is very good (a short squeeze of the trigger and the PTH is cleaned) and cleaning it is easy (use the provided 1mm long wire if get get stuck or remove and empty the spring loaded glass capsule). It does not have an on/off switch so I plug it only when using. I got rid of the plastic case, put all the accessories in a nylon bad and life is good. Yet have to figure out what that big black plastic accessory does.

+1 for the Hakko 808. 
I keep mine on the bench in a holder.  Only complaint I have with it is it's always on when plugged in. Did not want to keep unplugging it. I added a line cord switch for 4 bucks which took care of the problem.

Yet have to figure out what that big black plastic accessory does.
The only big black plastic thing I got with mine is the socket wrench that fits over the shaft to change tips.

Offline Luciano2572Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 12:42:54 am »
Yea, I'd go for the hakko 808 if I could, but 180$+ shipping+ tax would make it around 300$  :scared:
I'll go for the first one; more watts & seems less prone to fail like the 2nd.

Thanks for all the input ! :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf