Author Topic: Which WAGO connectors for breadboarding/prototyping? How to avoid fakes?  (Read 4317 times)

Offline MerlysysTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
For those using them do you just use the 221 type only?
See pic below for the types.
http://global.wago.com/en/products/product-catalog/terminal-blocks-connectors/installation-connectors/overview/index.jsp

I want to buy a few of each (2,3,5 hole) or do you think many of one type will do?

Anyone encountered fake ones? Not that I heard about them being faked.
Buy them where? ebay or ??

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
Re: Which WAGO connectors for breadboarding/prototyping? How to avoid fakes?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 04:20:22 pm »
A few years ago I saw the 222 series being used on youtube and really liked them.  I bought some from China on the assumption that they *were* fakes.  They don't say WAGO on them anywhere and they don't show any approval logos.  Comparing the internal structure of my connectors to the structure in the WAGO youtube video below, mine are fakes that probably wouldn't perform as well as the original under heavy current conditions.  The copper colored piece seen below looks thinner in mine and it's some kind of tinned or plated metal rather than copper.   But then, I'm not using them for mains wiring, I'm just looking for breadboard connections that are more stable than clipleads.  I've been very pleased with their performance.

If you buy them, don't buy the 2-wire version.  Buy the 3-wire version so that you can tap into a line.  I didn't see any use for the 5-wire version, but then, they're cheap!

I noticed that the 222 series is rated for wires as small as 28 ga. while the 221 series is only rated down to 24 ga.  You should decide if that's an issue for you.

Ed

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:32:06 pm by edpalmer42 »

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 04:40:15 pm »
I think you can assume that any Wago bought on ebay will be fake.

I bought some  genuine ones on Amazon ( with Amazon as a seller)
and some, much cheaper on bangood (same as ebay).
The one from bangood are obviously fake, although they can be used for low power without problem

I  bought also from bangood these connectors
https://www.banggood.com/fr/Excellway-CH3-Quick-Wire-Connector-Terminal-Block-Spring-Connector-LED-Strip-Light-Wire-Connector-p-1061178.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

which are of low quality plastic, but quite useful for low power.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:16:35 am by JacquesBBB »

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 05:08:37 pm »
I hate the pcb waginas. To avoid fakes, just dont use these at all. I find plugable screw terminals are way more interesting.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 09:41:30 pm »
I hate the pcb waginas. To avoid fakes, just dont use these at all. I find plugable screw terminals are way more interesting.

I need a lot of connectors and have started to play with all types.  So far I think the fake Wago is the winner.  They are a little thick so I am still looking on Aliexpress and bought just about every connector I could find (have not received all of them).  But I am not sure what a plugable screw terminal is?

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline analogo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 10:09:22 pm »
But I am not sure what a plugable screw terminal is?

AKA detachable screw terminals:

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 12:28:17 am »
I noticed that the 222 series is rated for wires as small as 28 ga. while the 221 series is only rated down to 24 ga.  You should decide if that's an issue for you.

Ed

Thanks Ed

I have found the connector I am going to use.  I have a bunch of 222s but they are thick.  So I checked out the 221 (I did not know this one) and they are thinner, so I ordered a bunch from Amazon.   :-+

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf