Author Topic: Who is Ben Heck?  (Read 13743 times)

Offline electroluxTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
Who is Ben Heck?
« on: May 04, 2014, 02:53:23 pm »
Who is Ben Heck? :-//
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Who is Ben Heck?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 02:56:18 pm »
no comment  :-DD apparently I'd break some unwritten rule if i offered an opinion. chances are he knows no more about electronics and MCU's than the very hot red head girl that "presented" a scrap metal reclaiming channel knew about scrap metal but was so hot that bored blokes would watch the "programmes" just to fantasize over her.

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 02:57:33 pm »
no comment  :-DD apparently I'd break some unwritten rule if i offered an opinion. chances are he knows no more about electronics and MCU's than the very hot red head girl that "presented" a scrap metal reclaiming channel knew about scrap metal but was so hot that bored blokes would watch the "programmes" just to fantasize over her.
Don't get it
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 03:01:09 pm »
there are a lot of youtube shows by people who just look good but are really just acting and speaking a script.

there is one where this really hot red head girl "shows you" how to recover scrap metal from various appliaces yet does not even know how to use tools so it just looks fake.

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 03:03:21 pm »
there are a lot of youtube shows by people who just look good but are really just acting and speaking a script.

there is one where this really hot red head girl "shows you" how to recover scrap metal from various appliaces yet does not even know how to use tools so it just looks fake.
I see, hmm he doesn't sound good as dave.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 03:26:47 pm »
there is one where this really hot red head girl "shows you" how to recover scrap metal
Link please?
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 03:29:49 pm »
there is one where this really hot red head girl "shows you" how to recover scrap metal
Link please?

haha, it was ages ago, not even sure if it's still going and i was that impressed by it that I can't remember the name, it was "something" girl but i can't remember

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 03:34:18 pm »
Link please?

You need to get out more...... Real life is a lot better than pixels for that. I can go to the beach and get the show for close to free, and get a nice day of sun and sea as well.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 03:38:45 pm »
uh if you must, i remembered, scrapper girl it is: this particular video for example show how much she really knows. she goes to auction for scrap metal ??? gee how much is the scrap worth ?

Offline kolonelkadat

• Regular Contributor
  • Obviously, windows are central to Windows.
    • Force Project X
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 03:56:15 am »
circa 2004 ben heck made an xbox360 laptop. As far as I know, that is where he gets his fame. iirc he has made some other portable gaming systems as well, though. Essentially, he is an overhyped case modder.

Dont get me wrong. he is a top notch enclosure designer, or atleast appears to be. His skills in electronics, however, are laughable at best.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 04:47:38 am »
uh if you must, i remembered, scrapper girl it is: this particular video for example show how much she really knows. she goes to auction for scrap metal ??? gee how much is the scrap worth ?

They like it when she comes in...

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 05:08:47 am »

She as an annoying voice and intonations.  Show name has an extra 's'.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 05:16:53 am »
She is an aspiring actress that also scraps:
http://www.scrappergirlonline.com/
Make sure you get your wallpaper and mouse mat:
http://www.chinimblelore.com/scrapper/store/index.html

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Scrapper Girl II
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 05:25:04 am »
She as an annoying voice and intonations.  Show name has an extra 's'.

Drinking, smoking or just a cold fixed part of the voice issue:

She is an aspiring actress that also scraps:
We thought that was obvious last time we discussed her. There is some video production company behind this http://www.chinimblelore.com/ The company sells great stuff, like
Paranormal Proof
Found Footage Horror

Director: Kevin Hicks
Writer: Kevin Hicks
Producers: Brian Balog, Dan Griffin
Executive Producers: Vickie Hicks, Kevin Hicks

Sales Rep: The Bosko Group
Release Dates: TBD

Fourteen months after the death of his wife, Marcus Gates and his two daughters begin experiencing strange occurrences around their home. Convinced that it is his wife trying to communicate with him, Marcus sets out to prove that the afterlife exists in this found-footage supernatural thriller.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 05:59:25 am »
Who is Ben Heck? :-//

OK,Who the heck is he?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 06:01:19 am »
some bloke that went over to the dark side after being paid a fortune by a huge scumbag corporation.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 06:31:23 am »
some bloke that went over to the dark side after being paid a fortune by a huge scumbag corporation.

What's wrong with Newark, Element 14?

Edit: And for what Dave accounts I think it's far from "a fortune"
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:33:33 am by miguelvp »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 06:32:47 am »
the fact that they felt the need to create such a superficial show makes them pathetic. just another way of putting their name around.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 06:55:05 am »
the fact that they felt the need to create such a superficial show makes them pathetic. just another way of putting their name around.

I don't watch it, I might have seen about 10 episodes for curiosity and it's ok, It was better when Jeri gave it a try.

But I do like Newark, they have good customer support and they even sent me a big discount my way :)

As for marketing, nothing wrong with making a show, apparently a lot of people like it.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 07:03:45 am »
Well for starters his most popular video which was clearly put to the top of the searches by element14 giving google a load of money is a fraud. He does not show you how to make a development board, he shows you how to make a target programmer board. It is not a development board. but we all know that is the title what not what it is no one would have watched it. I'd really like to see how many people actually made it through the whole video. I gave up quickly as it was clear that no real information was going to be given and i was getting fed up with the 50% video effect to 50% of nattering that contained 10% of the information it should have. there is knowing your stuff and there is saying the script that you corporate sponsor paid you to.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 08:20:22 am »
This video?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 08:24:11 am »
yep, ok it turned out to be a bit more advanced than I thought, I gave up within 5 minutes of special effects but still not much to it. anyone can build it from a schematic, if you want to talk software just talk software.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 09:23:37 am »
The episode canned intro says...
Benjamin J. Heckendorf was a mild-mannered graphic artist until he was bitten by the electronics bug....
I can't help thinking this is closer to reality than just a clever intro script.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 10:03:42 am »
the items you mention are hardly peripheral devices they are barbones essentials to program a chip. if the he was doing a decent job of it he's have used a zip socket, gee did you see how long and how much yanking it took to get an 8 pin chip out of the socket, a real pro.

Sorry but time is a a precious commodity, if a reasonable amount of information has not been imparted by the time your 25% of the way through the video it's a waste of time. all he has done is mimicked the arduino board without the ftdi and added an 8 pin socket, just buy another arduino board or do a proper job, I hope that was not a weeks work, bit of breadboard and a few parts, I'd still not call that a development board, might as well just put it on a breadboard.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf