Author Topic: why are bad solder joints dim?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline m4rtinTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
why are bad solder joints dim?
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:29:02 pm »
If I solder two wires together and during the few seconds, when the solder cools down, I move the wires, the solder joint remains dim. As I understand, dim solder joint is not as reliable and strong as a shiny one. Why is this so? Does solder crystallize in a different way when parts are moved during the solder cooling processes?

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Re: why are bad solder joints dim?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 06:53:11 pm »
because the big mass of the wire and the high termal conductivity of the copper "suck out" the heat from your solder joint very fast.

David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:54:05 pm »
There's a chemical reaction between the metals, you're messing that up when you move the wires. If you want to reduce this problem, you can try switching to 63/37 solder, which goes transitions much faster to solid, at a fixed temperature. The 60/40 has a wider temperature range, so you have to keep the 2 parts fixed until the solder goes outside that transition temperature range and becomes solid.

There's a very good series of soldering tutorials at Pace's youtube channel, here's the first part:

The other parts are in the same channel, easy to find.

The videos are a bit dated, but the information still applies to this day and the production quality is quite good.

vlf3

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:00:38 pm »
Dry joints also depend on using tinned copper wire or components, of the same solder alloy metals, or type !... current pre-tinned wires or components are led-free, so if you wet a joint using the old 40/60 tin-led ratio resin flux, then the joint will look dull and even not flow.  :(

Disturbing a solder joint while it cools, will change the crystal structure of the joint particularly, if insufficient flux is present; a good solder joint is made by firstly pre-heating the clean junction area first, and then applying the solder; correct temperature is important too for good solder flow, leaving a joint with a concave shape around the component, to PCB surface.  :)

Personally, I still keep to 40/60 resin flux solder, due it's low temperature flow properties... since I also keep to through-hole designs, for personal use.

Offline ptricks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 12:11:30 pm »
Unfortunately you can't judge solder joints anymore by how shiny they are thanks to ROHS, some of the lead free solders are always dim no matter how good the joint .

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:27:04 pm »
If you want nice looking leadfree joints, look into nitrogen-assisted soldering stations. The resulting joints seem to be less prone to whiskering as well.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf