Author Topic: why are dip switches static sensitive  (Read 2690 times)

Offline browntTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
why are dip switches static sensitive
« on: December 14, 2018, 10:46:57 pm »
I have some dip switches that have arrived packaged in anti-static foam type material, and also others in anti static tubes. Why are they sensitive to static?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: why are dip switches static sensitive
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 10:58:04 pm »
Perhaps because whomever sent them to you didn't understand that they didn't need it, so they did it anyway.

To the untrained eye, they likely look similar enough to devices that do need ESD protection to get the treatment.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 11:17:04 pm »
They're not static sensitive but it means they can standardise on a single type of packing material. Easier and cheaper to just pack everything in antistatic packaging than to deal with multiple types. You're going to want to protect the legs of your switches so they'll need foam or a tube anyway.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, brownt

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 12:29:40 am »
I seriously doubt that digikey or the like have a separate supply of non-static safe foam and DIP tubes, they packed it in what they had.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 01:05:26 am »
It makes more sense to just pack everything in antistatic packaging, that way there's no guesswork.

Offline rhodges

• Frequent Contributor
  • Available for embedded projects.
    • My public libraries, code samples, and projects for STM8.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 01:20:44 am »
I understand and agree, but it is still funny to remember getting MOVs or power cables in antistatic bags.
Currently developing STM8 and STM32. Past includes 6809, Z80, 8086, PIC, MIPS, PNX1302, and some 8748 and 6805. Check out my public code on github. https://github.com/unfrozen

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 01:41:58 am »
I understand and agree, but it is still funny to remember getting MOVs or power cables in antistatic bags.
I requested a "Design Startup Pack" from Maxim. It came with a Moleskine notebook sealed inside an antistatic bag so that is far more bizarre than some DIP switches or MOVs :D There were other bits as well like some croc clip leads, a pen and an adhesive card holder but I can't remember if they were bagged.

It looks like they're still sending out these kits so if anybody doesn't have one already then take a look. There are quite a few interesting evaluation boards you can choose from and you get a buck regulator board along with the accessories mentioned previously.

The following users thanked this post: eliocor

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 03:54:39 pm »
Ever considered what happens when the DIP switches are mounted together with really static sensitive parts? You want as little non-dissipative material at your esd workbench, especially not square meters of packaging material for non-sensitive parts.  :-//
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 04:28:09 pm »
I have some dip switches that have arrived packaged in anti-static foam type material, and also others in anti static tubes. Why are they sensitive to static?

I think they are really trying to protect the pins from damage.  I'm pretty sure they know that DIP switches aren't static sensitive.

Literally everything I get from DigiKey comes in anti-static baggies.  Even if it is in foam!  One reason is that they label the envelopes.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 02:06:24 am »
It's better to put parts which aren't ESD-sensitive in ESD-safe packaging than the other way around, and the differential cost of the packaging isn't great enough to worry about.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 06:14:36 pm »
I've seen some DIP switches that integrated LEDs into the switch in the past.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 06:17:43 pm »
You don't want to bring non ESD safe stuff into ESD safe area.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 09:37:21 pm »
Ever considered what happens when the DIP switches are mounted together with really static sensitive parts? You want as little non-dissipative material at your esd workbench, especially not square meters of packaging material for non-sensitive parts.  :-//
EGGzactly!  When opening a bunch of static-sensitive parts and putting them into P&P feeders or whatever, you don't want any static-producing materials in the same area.  When receiving non-safe materials, they'd have to be opened someplace else and then repakaged static-safe before moving to the all-safe work area.

Personally, I think people go overboard on this stuff, but if you have less well-trained people handling these things, then the materials and procedures need to be set up to avoid problems.

Jon

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 10:28:34 pm »
I knew that ESD was getting out of hand when I received some 1/4-20 UNC stainless steel bolts in anti-static packaging.  Obviously, the vendor had standardized on those bags to make his life simpler.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 10:36:49 pm »
Many people don't want any packaging in the assembly area which can build a static charge. You may know which parts have static issues and which don't, but don't expect similar knowledge among the production line staff who have to unpack the tubes and reels of parts, and load them into the PNP machines. If everything they handle is made to similar static dissipative standards, it keeps life simple.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 01:29:14 am »
I'd much rather get everything in antistatic bags than the other way around. In the past year I've bought several development boards, a hard drive and several arcade boards and only one of those boards came in any kind of ESD safe packing, it's amazing that it all still worked. The hard drive especially, it came in a single layer bubble wrap pouch stuffed loose in a small flat rate box. I fully expected it to be toast but ran a full diagnostic and it's fine, it was cheap and it's just in my security NVR so it's not a big deal if it dies at some future date. Anyway most people seem to have no concept of the need for static safe packing, thankfully modern semiconductors seem to be fairly robust.

Online KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 01:41:08 am »
I knew that ESD was getting out of hand when I received some 1/4-20 UNC stainless steel bolts in anti-static packaging.  Obviously, the vendor had standardized on those bags to make his life simpler.
Antistatic bags are much better at containing heavy parts and for retainimg their "new car smell." I use them quite often for things that need long term storage.

Poly bags are great for short term, because you can see the contents more easily. but after a certain amount of handling they lose transparency and look like crap. So in the long run it might as well be in an metallized bag. of course my metallized bags are free. Endless supply from pirchasing components.

Offline spec

• Frequent Contributor
  • MALE
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 08:23:24 am »
 >:D You know DIP switches are static sensitive. There are no junctions to blow as in semiconductors, but there is a microns thick coating, often of  gold, that can be pitted by a static discharge. But in the order of things the risk is not significant.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 11:20:11 am »
anti-static foam type material
BTW of what color that is that foam?

Offline browntTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 07:08:58 am »
black

Offline MrAl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 03:12:16 pm »
Hi,

I have to agree with all the other replies that mention the use of a 'standard' packing material.
If there isnt that much difference in price then it makes sense to stick everything into anti static foam because there are simplification benefits that include:
1.  Dont have to buy separate packing material.
2.  Dont have to train personnel on different types of packing material and what parts go with what packing material.
3.  Mixed lots dont have to be separated.
4.  Large quantities of the same packing material will be cheaper than smaller quantities of two different types given similar pricing.

What is worse is when they dont use anti static packaging when it is really required.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 04:30:49 pm »
TME sends many common ICs with MSL1 (unlimited) in hermetic bags along with humidity  absorbers and humidity indicators inside. On the back there is an instruction explaining how to hangle ICs. It clearly says that the shall life is unlimited when the bag is opened* :).

*at 30C and 60%h or below.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf