Author Topic: why are these transistors getting so hot?!  (Read 4095 times)

Offline kasumykuTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
why are these transistors getting so hot?!
« on: April 17, 2013, 07:16:41 pm »
I am trying to figure out if this is normal or one of the components failed.
Some people say it's normal some say it's not, I would would really appreciate a second opinion.
Those two parts of the schematics are from a JVC RX-8010 receiver.
I was wondering if these 6 power transistors suppose to be so damn hot that I can't even touch them or its just normal.I have used a infrared thermometer and on the heat sink it reads somewhere around 75 C degrees when the volume is just 1/2 way up.
Comparing these power transistor with the output transistors, the output ones are just barely reading 25 C degrees.

thanks!!!

Offline megahz

• Regular Contributor
Re: why are these transistors getting so hot?!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:21:32 pm »
the ones I used get pretty hot but its wired correctly, if its the kind of transister that comes with a heatsync on the back tho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 07:25:09 pm »
they are attached to heat sinks...

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 07:58:53 pm »
Each of the 6 transistors is a part of a zener voltage regulator (called power zener or zener with follower).

vlf3

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 08:03:49 pm »
Your top image is showing power supplies series regulators for the whole receiver system, thus they would have much more demand for current being drawn from the receiver overall.

The bottom image, is similar but they are for individual dedicated power supply stages, and would draw less current on average but, their temperature can rise intermittently, as more demand is required from these regulators.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:12:24 pm »
Each of the 6 transistors is a part of a zener voltage regulator (called power zener or zener with follower).

So it suppose to get that hot?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:19:45 pm »

The transistors have to dissipate the voltage difference between input and output multiplied by the current drawn. It's like you would use a 7812.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:25:32 pm »

Sometimes transistors get hotter with the case open than with the case closed. This may happen if there are cooling fans and with the case open the airflow is not properly directed over the heat sinks.

vlf3

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 08:33:12 pm »

Yes, it's normal...

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:31:52 am »
1.  Measure the output voltage from each regulator.  Is it correct?
2.  Measure the voltage drop across the collector resistors.  Calculate the power dissipated by those resistors.  Is it within the wattage rating of the resistors?

If the answers to both questions are 'yes' then the circuits are likely working as designed.  Looking at the entire schematic, it looks like they should be dissipating only a few watts since the input power is coming off of main capacitors that are rated for 35V.  One other thing to do is make sure that the screws or clips that are holding the transistors to the heatsink are snug.

By the way, I wouldn't necessarily trust your infrared thermometer.  They can give incorrect results depending on the type of surface you're pointing them at.  Also, the transistors are rated for a junction temperature of 150C so a surface temperature of 75C isn't out of line.  People often think that components shouldn't be more than 'warm' to the touch.  Wrong!

Ed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 02:42:11 pm »
1.  Measure the output voltage from each regulator.  Is it correct?
2.  Measure the voltage drop across the collector resistors.  Calculate the power dissipated by those resistors.  Is it within the wattage rating of the resistors?

If the answers to both questions are 'yes' then the circuits are likely working as designed.  Looking at the entire schematic, it looks like they should be dissipating only a few watts since the input power is coming off of main capacitors that are rated for 35V.  One other thing to do is make sure that the screws or clips that are holding the transistors to the heatsink are snug.

By the way, I wouldn't necessarily trust your infrared thermometer.  They can give incorrect results depending on the type of surface you're pointing them at.  Also, the transistors are rated for a junction temperature of 150C so a surface temperature of 75C isn't out of line.  People often think that components shouldn't be more than 'warm' to the touch.  Wrong!

Ed

Thank you very much Ed!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf