Author Topic: why have separate current and voltage source?  (Read 2885 times)

Offline funkimunkyTopic starter

• Contributor
why have separate current and voltage source?
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:36:15 am »
I am learning about circuit analysis from a book and circuits with a separate current source and separate voltage source keep cropping up. Do these types of circuits exist in the real world and if so what kinds of applications do they serve?
Just to quantify my knowledge about ee I am a total beginner.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: why have separate current and voltage source?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:42:29 am »
They are idealized extremes that can be used to support an understanding of how real circuits work. All real sources are somewhere in between one or the other.

Most real power sources like a battery for example approximate a voltage source, but current sources can crop up as useful elements in some kinds of circuit design.

You could model a real source equally well as a voltage source with a series resistance or a current source with a parallel resistance. Viewed from outside both would behave exactly the same.

Offline funkimunkyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:13:37 am »
Thanks for the reply it makes sense now. They just separate the voltage and the current so they can be ideal current and voltage sources to make it easier to understand.
I take it for learning circuit design you only need one power supply, I was worried that I might need to get another one.

alm

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:56:18 pm »
Most lab supplies can do both constant voltage (voltage source) and constant current (current source), depending on how you set the limits.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf