Author Topic: Wiring up an APC UPS in a Chevy Volt  (Read 2965 times)

Offline GiveMeTheJuice!Topic starter

• Contributor
Wiring up an APC UPS in a Chevy Volt
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:16 pm »
I'm looking for help getting an inverter connected to and running in my car. Sounds simple, but my car doesn't have the required voltage to run the inverter.

I have a Smart APC UPS SMT1000 ( pure sine wave ) that requires 24V, this is the inverter I want to use.

My Chevy Volt has a glass matt 12v battery, aka starter battery. As part of the cars charging system for starter battery, a thingamajig  is used that pulls juice from the traction battery and reduces the voltage and charges the traction battery. This thingamajig is like a modern alternator. It does the same thing w/out a pulley.

What I need help with is leveraging the "alternator" and traction battery to supply and/or recharge juice the UPS draws while both the car and UPS are running.

Its understood I would need to connect two 12v batteries together to power the UPS/inverter. Further, I understand these connected batteries need to be isolated from the Volt otherwise the circuits connecting to the 12v would get 24v.

If I have two 12v batteries connected to produce 24v, how could I leverage the Chevy volt to charge them?

Offline jamesglanville

• Contributor
Re: Wiring up an APC UPS in a Chevy Volt
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 12:20:31 am »
Can't you just use a 12v->24v dc-dc boost converter? I don't know what sort of power you want to get out of the car, but I imagine you'll run into problems pulling enough current from the car before a dc-dc converter gets too expensive.

Offline GiveMeTheJuice!Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 12:32:07 am »
Sounds good to me :D

What do I look for in a high quality 12v->24v dc-dc boost converter? Would I look for a specific brand and trust what they make? If yes, what brand would that be?

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:34:44 am »
Doug Coulter put a cheap 12V inverter into his Volt. Have a look on his forum HERE
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:48:40 am by mtdoc »

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 11:22:16 am »
This sounds like it would end up being a kludge on top of a bodge.   A lot of UPSes count on the battery being isolated, not connected to your 'earth' ground. That and UPSes aren't meant to run continuously, so cooling and whatnot can be an issue.  Given the price for a 1200+ W 12v to 24v converter thats isolated, you might as well just buy a 1kW 12V input sine wave inverter, wire it up to the battery, and be done with it. 

Offline max_torque

• Super Contributor
    • bitdynamics
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 07:25:52 pm »
You also need to be aware the Volts DC-DC convertor isn't that powerful, as a lot of the high current consumers are driven directly off the HV battery (AC/cabin heater etc) So you don't want to be fitting a massive inverter that will end up draining the low capacity LV battery

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf