Author Topic: Wiring Up an extension lead AUS  (Read 3784 times)

Offline lehamTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Wiring Up an extension lead AUS
« on: December 29, 2014, 11:57:17 pm »
Hi guys.
So I'll be moving into a new place soon and have noticed a problem with the availability of power points (Australian).

So basically the power points are on the opposite side of the room to where I want to put all my tv and things.

I'm thinking of running a 10amp lead over to it (not the real issue). My issue is I want to break this off to two separate points (if that makes sense). Basically I want to put a double power point on the end of the lead so I can turn off all my tv stuff but still use my PC.

This is what I want to do please tell me if it's a bad idea..

Wall outlet -> extension lead (5 meters max, needs to go over a door frame) ->  double wall outlet with a junction? Box to cover the back -> one point goes directly to a power board and the other will go to a short 3m extension lead to another power board.

All my power boards have 2.4kw overload protection. I'm going to have a fair few things plugged in but never using them all at the same time. At most I'll only pull maybe 1.2kw at once (PC, tv, receiver and a game console).
It's an old house so I don't think it has any RCD's so I was thinking of getting an inline one from bunnings an putting that between the existing wall outlet and the start of the lead.

My understanding is the power boards will protect against over current and the RCD will protect against shorts (and apparently surge protection) ??

Should I use a 20amp lead?

I haven't moved in yet but it may be a double outlet on the wall so would I be better running two leads, one for each ? Or doesn't that make any difference..

I'm sure I sound silly haha, I'd get an electrician to wire up the lead but I guess it's no different to fitting a new female plug on a lead (which I am confident doing)

Any way, thanks for letting me pick your noggins haha

EDIT:

I just thought of an easier solution (let me know what you guys think)

RDC -> 5m extension lead -> 4port power strip with 2.4kw cut out - > 2 ports will go too two 8way switched (each point is switched on the board ) power boards -> 3rd port will go to 3m extension to a 4 port power strip...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:33:29 am by leham »

• Regular Contributor
Re: Wiring Up an extension lead AUS
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 02:03:12 am »
Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm only renting, I'm on a 12month lease (I don't plan on moving for a long time) so I can't have a outlet moved or installed.. I could probably have the existing one upgrades but it's still going to be in the wrong spot.

This is a very old building BTW. 1950's or 60's
I have no problem running a lead over the top of a door frame.

This is the 8 way powerboard I'm looking to get (2 of them) http://ebay.to/149N0i2

Thanks

Offline Alex30

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 03:18:57 am »
Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm only renting, I'm on a 12month lease (I don't plan on moving for a long time) so I can't have a outlet moved or installed.. I could probably have the existing one upgrades but it's still going to be in the wrong spot.

This is a very old building BTW. 1950's or 60's
I have no problem running a lead over the top of a door frame.

This is the 8 way powerboard I'm looking to get (2 of them) http://ebay.to/149N0i2

Thanks

Sorry to not really answer your question but if you do plan on living there a long time you could ask your agent to get intouch with the owner for permission to install a power point. Sometimes they will let you if you front most\all of the cost. Worth a try if you are willing to spend the money.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 04:50:26 am »
My PC set up only requires 6 at most.
2 LCDs (soon to be 3) PC and Amp. Two of the screens can even share a Y split IEC cable.

The main plug concern is for the TV/home theatre part. Which is where I'm going to be using the two 8 way boards  for a total of 16 sockets with two (or more) spare on the power strip coming off the extension lead.

I have 17 devices that I want to plug in so I don't have to be messing around with cables all the time. There are only a few devices out of that 17 that pull more than 100w and I'll only be using 3 or so at once. :)

I think that's what I'll ultimately end up doing now :)

As for talking to the landlord about a new point, I don't think it's worth the hassle as most agents are useless and don't even write stuff down haha

Plus the wall I would like a point on is cement and all the others are that old horse hair plaster that crumbles if you look at it funny haha

I'm planning on installing a window mount air con and will save my chances with the landlord for that hehe :) 

Thanks (still open to better suggestions :)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 09:47:53 am »
Providing note single cable or socket or switch or anything is carrying more power than it can take then you won't have a problem. For the lay man on the street we usually say don't use multiple socket adapters because we fear that if somebody stuffs a three-way socket adapter into a wall socket they will go and plug 3x 3 kW heaters into that adapter and that will blow the main socket overheat the wiring and cause a fire. But if you're setting up a computer or other low-power kit then you can pretty much daisychain as many sockets and adapters as you like at the end of the day yes there will be some voltage drop in each plug but it will be in each plug not all in one so it won't be a problem.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 05:49:56 pm »
With the AC I would suggest you ask for permission to install a split unit, as there is then only a small hole to repair in a wall if it is removed, as opposed to destroying a window to install a wall rattler. Filling 4 holes outside where rawlbolts have been removed, one 50mm hole for a cable and pipe bundle and a few small holes inside for a indoor unit is a lot less cost wise than replacing an entire window casement, glass and hinging, especially if it is either double glazed or if it is an older wooden style that has to be hand made by an old experienced carpenter and glazed to match.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 09:58:46 pm »
Hmm ok,
I always thought window mounts didn't involve damaging anything?
I was either going to mount it in a conventional window and dead bold it closed to hold it in. I'm only looking to get a tiny one (1.6kw iirc).... Or mount it a sliding window with some braces and cover the hole at the top with thick 20mm plexi.
I'd defiantly need to ask for the second one.
I pay for utilities and I don't think the Landlord will mind, it's an old run down place (not slums but you know it's a building  that's too old to poor money into)..

I can't afford a split system, let alone the install :( only looking to spend $300 on the AC or even less if I buy one used haha

Thanks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 12:49:30 am »
Oh should I put the RCD at the Start of the extension lead or at the end before the first powerboard?

Oh an Simon, yeah I doubt I'd even be able to hit 2.4kw with everything turned on but thought it best to ask :)

Thanks guys

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:42:16 am by leham »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf