Author Topic: Workbench protection - what do you use? (ESD mat, rubber, EVA, etc...)  (Read 12006 times)

Offline ablacon64Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi. I use black rubber mat on the top of my workbenches but I want to try some different colors like green or light gray. Rubber mats are very expensive in such colors, so I was wondering if I could use EVA or some other plastic or silicon materials instead.

What do you use on your workbenches or what would you suggest me?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: Workbench protection - what do you use? (ESD mat, rubber, EVA, etc...)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 07:32:14 pm »
If you're doing electrical work on your bench, then you need an ESD mat.  Regular rubber mats will not drain away stray static, could easily build up and fry something sensitive you happen to be working on.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 08:34:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply, dr.diesel!

But I have 4 workbenches of 210 cm X 60 cm, putting ESD mat on all of them would be very expensive. I have half a bench with an ESD mat where I handle projects and sensitive materials.

The most part of the benches are for testing (assembled units), disassembly and temporary parts storage for the disassembled products. After tear down the boards go to the ESD mat workbench for analisys/rework/fixes.

I was refering to workbench protection, not ESD protection per se (sorry for putting ESD mat on the subject but it was not the main intention). I handle heavy equipments like large TVs, no-breaks, etc, and want to protect the surface against scratches and so.

But of course I also don't want some material that would easily generate ESD. I was thinking on something like vinyl floor plates (like the ones used in gyms floors) or EVA sheets. What do you think?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 08:56:05 pm »
Gotcha.   :-+

My current lab table/desk is made of sanded BC 3/4" plywood, 2x thick.  I sealed it with several coats of Polyurethane, keeps the wood look and protects it from stains.  My bench is 25' long, 3' deep with an L shape at the end.  Like you my main electrical area is under a large ESD mat, but the rest is just sealed sanded plywood!

I'm a big fan of wood, the rest of my lab walls are T-111 siding on the interior, looks like an old school bar on inside.  Plus, it's cheap, and easily adaptable to just about any shape and doesn't build up any static.

Are you doing work that might require the need of the spongy shock absorbing rubber or?

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 09:10:42 pm »
Trespa TopLab. Shit's (mostly) indestructible.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:15:08 pm by Fsck »
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:12:42 pm »
Would some "ESD" polyurethane or epoxy floor paint on plywood be good enough for electronics work?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 01:41:49 am »
Are you doing work that might require the need of the spongy shock absorbing rubber or?

Not necessarily, I'm looking for a low/middle cost solution. Things are a lot more expensive in Brazil. :(
If someone told me EVA is just fine I would jump for it! ;)

Trespa TopLab. Shit's (mostly) indestructible.

Amazing material, didn't know it, but price is prohibitive.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 02:28:55 am »
When I ran my shop we used thick (1 inch) particle board on the bench with a layer of 1/4 in hardboard on top (shiny side up). When it started to look rough rip off the top layer and put on a new one. No paint, sealers or anything. The top layer was held in place with screws. It didn't look very sexy but worked well.   

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 01:22:40 pm »
Nah. I do the same thing. When the hardboard starts to get ugly just remove a couple screws, pull it off and drop on some new hardboard.  Screw it down and voila. Done. Inexpensive and works great.

I also have an ESD mat in my main electronics area.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 01:57:12 pm »
Most of what I work on is vintage electronics so static is not usually a problem.  My main bench has a smooth chemical resistant surface so I use carpet sample squares I pick up from local carpet stores for fifty cents each.  Usually carpet stores have piles of them in all different colors.  When I'm working on a metal chassis or anything heavy I set it on the square and can easily slide or spin it around without scratching up the surface of the bench. 

I'm starting to work on more static sensitive equipment so I'm in the process of setting up a second smaller bench just for soldering/desoldering just for ESD and circuit board work so I'm shopping around for a good ESD mat I can cut to size as a work surface.

Update:  For those in the U.S. I just found this anti-static mat on the Staples web site  for $21.99 US with free shipping/pick-up to your local store.
http://www.staples.com/Startechcom-M3013-Desktop-Anti-Static-Mat-Beige/product_IM1K90235
I ordered one.  Let you know what I think of it when it arrives.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:39:13 pm by SLJ »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 05:25:49 pm »
Hi. I use black rubber mat on the top of my workbenches but I want to try some different colors like green or light gray. Rubber mats are very expensive in such colors, so I was wondering if I could use EVA or some other plastic or silicon materials instead.
I use a 2 layer rubber ESD mat, but a 30"x60" mat was enough to cover my bench.

Checked a source I know that would ship a roll to Brazil, and though the roll price is decent, shipping was ~$881USD.   :wtf:

Any idea why it would be this high (roll would be coming out of the US FWIW)?

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 05:35:28 pm »

Checked a source I know that would ship a roll to Brazil, and though the roll price is decent, shipping was ~$881USD.   :wtf:

Oversize package shipped by FedEx or UPS.  I think USPS would be around $50, but many businesses don't bother with USPS, just fire up the UPS calculator...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:51:10 pm by edavid »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 05:43:29 pm »

Oversize package shipped by FedEx or UPS.  I think USPS would be around $50.
Roll should fit in ~ 12"x12"x24" box. Bit heavy due to the amount of rubber, but oversized?  :-//

BTW, sent a normal sized package (1lb) to Chile not too long ago, and it was a little over $36 via USPS (Registered Mail so it could be tracked). FWIW, everything is shipped via air now due to one of the previous USPS cut-backs (ceased using surface methods).

Offline bhilly82

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 02:23:11 pm »
I used pdx ply wood 3/4'' thick and got plasti dip esd f-914 c-950 in a gallon can and painted that on my bench.  Seems to hold up great its designed for electronic work spaces and is esd.  Link to the Technical Data Sheet.http://www.plastidip.com/docs/F-914%20C-950%20Static%20Dissipative%20TB%2047%20OEM.pdf

I have read that even the normal plasti dip is esd safe,  just cant find documentation to back this up.  Its alot cheaper then the esd safe formula.  My work had some esd safe left over that they were going to throw out so i took it home.  Its very pricey at about $150 a gallon,  where plasti dip s is $75 a gallon.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:30:00 pm by bhilly82 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 10:30:36 am »
Yes, it's true, the postal company in Brazil is owned by the government, so you see... ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf