Author Topic: WS2812B data line interference  (Read 1033 times)

Offline permalTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
WS2812B data line interference
« on: September 05, 2017, 05:33:53 pm »
Hi,

Yesterday I experimented with some WS2812B (aka Neopixels) on a breadboard. Although it was working, it was also extremely sensitive to interference, e.g. a finger anywhere near the data line, or a scope probe connected to it, caused enough interference to completely ruin the signal, resulting in either unintended commands or no commands reaching the WS2812Bs.

I've read up a bit and apparently it is recommended to have a 100nF capacitor between Vdd and GND on each unit, but I don't see how that would help with the interference issue, though I will try. I have a design in mind that will require about 50 units mounted on a circular PCB (yeah, it is also a clock) and I'm worried that I'll run into similar issues on a PCB.

So, my question is this: what can I do mitigate interference to these units? A ground plane is given, and the 100nF caps, but what else? Also, should I do something to mitigate interference from these units, for example if I have an I2C bus on the same PCB?

Offline permalTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: WS2812B data line interference
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:47:27 pm »
Hm, putting a 100nF cap between data and GND seems to have soleved it, at least on the breadboard with only three units. Still, I would love to get some input on what else I can/should do.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf