Author Topic: z wave protocol  (Read 5726 times)

Offline jayesh sTopic starter

z wave protocol
« on: July 27, 2017, 09:12:59 am »
i want to work by using z wave protocol. what all the things i have to do for it?

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
Re: z wave protocol
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 09:39:15 am »
Look, this isn't google. If you aren't willing to demonstrate that you did at least some research, no one is going to be willing to spend their own time to do the research you should be doing.

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc, hexreader

Offline hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 09:50:51 am »
Look, this isn't google. If you aren't willing to demonstrate that you did at least some research, no one is going to be willing to spend their own time to do the research you should be doing.
abraxa, I really like the way that you worded that reply. Please may I have permission to steal that paragraph and use it on the other forums that I frequent?  There are many other lazy posters out there that are in need of such a reply.

Maybe I could use it for a tag line?

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:53:19 am »
actually i just joined a project of iot. there trying to connect devices like temperature sensor to a gateway ie radxa board. there asked me to establish a connection with the gateway using zwave protocol. so i expect your help to know the things for zwave connection

Offline blackbird

• Regular Contributor
  • Ooohhhh, what does this button do???
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:48:42 am »

....... so i expect your help to know the things for zwave connection

If someone in real life asked me for help like this........ 

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:19:14 pm »
When my expectation of being paid $10000000 is met, I'll gladly tell you everything I know about Z-wave.

The following users thanked this post: rob.manderson, bitman

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 03:32:03 pm »
Look, this isn't google.
the most polite answer if you want to help a bit is... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=z+wave+protocol
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: bitman

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 03:55:22 pm »
easiest way : become a member of the z-wave association, pay them 10k$ for a developers licence and buy one of their 1500$ devkits to get your hands on the stack code ( oh, and sign an NDA too ). oh and buy a licence ot the Keil compiler , as that is the only supported compiler. Once your device is ready : fork over 2K$ to get it certified and assigned an ID.

other way : not possible. you can't get your hands on anything you need. no silicon, no code, no certification, no documentation.

z-wave is a proprietary encrypted protocol. the silicon is made by a company called Sigma Designs. the chip is a modified 8051 core with the necessary radio on board.

from the z-wavealliance website :

How To Start Developing Z-Wave Solutions

To begin developing Z-Wave products, the first step is the purchase of a developer’s kit. This purchase includes signing a license agreement with Sigma Designs for the use of the Z-Wave technology. A complete description of the developer’s kits and licensing process can be found at: z-wave.sigmadesigns.com/design-z-wave. For general background information on Z-Wave, please visit z-wave.sigmadesigns.com.

Once you receive your developer’s kit license and download the Software Developers Kit (SDK) from the Z-Wave Technical Support website (ZTS), you will want training on how to best use the components of the SDK. This training is available on-line through the ZTS site; upon your licensing, you will receive secure login information.

Summary:

First, purchase the developers kit and sign the license agreement with Sigma Designs.
Join the Z-Wave Alliance as soon as possible to take advantage of product marketing support.
Develop the product following the SDK guidelines; use Sigma Designs and Z-Wave Alliance for support as needed.
Submit your finished product to Sigma Designs for Technical Certification, and to the independent test lab for verification. There is a cost for the independent test lab; consult the Sigma Designs Technical Certification information at the Z-Wave Technical Support website for the current fee structure.
Submit the product information online to the Z-Wave Alliance for Market Certification; there is no charge for Alliance members, but you must be a Full level member or higher to submit Market Certifications.
(Market Certification can be entered concurrently with the Technical Certification taking place.)
Once you have received both Technical and Market Certifications, a Z-Wave Certification Number will be issued, and you can  legally go to market with your product.

i looked into this a couple of years ago ( since my entire house runs on z-wave). it is undoable as a hobbyist. They protect their ecosystem very heavily.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

The following users thanked this post: jayesh s

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 04:03:47 pm »
So what is this then? You could use ics from members of the alliance?
https://z-uno.z-wave.me

The following users thanked this post: sairfan1

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 06:57:13 pm »
when i last looked at it (2 years ago( that did not exist ...
i guess these guys bit the bullet, paid for the devkit, compiled a binary blob and made it arduino like to use.

but the cost is staggering ... 69.90 for this little thing. that chip costs barely 5$ .... guess someone must cough up the royalties to the z-wave consortium ....
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 09:34:36 pm »
Yes someone has to pay for it, but so what if you must have a proprietary device hooked up to zwave the cost is secondary if you compare it to starting from scratch and reinvent the wheel yourself.
However personally I would not like a closed system for my home automation, I rather build it myself.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 09:49:55 pm »
i looked into this a couple of years ago ( since my entire house runs on z-wave). it is undoable as a hobbyist. They protect their ecosystem very heavily.

Typical French way of doing business. Fencing off their own, so nobody even bothers coming close. I dont even know, why anyone ever would bother wit Z-wave, it is zigbee, but slightly worse in every aspect.

I would not even expect to have english documentation there, or if there is, it will be filled with words, like programmation and tension.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 11:27:30 pm »
Typical French way of doing business. Fencing off their own, so nobody even bothers coming close. I dont even know, why anyone ever would bother wit Z-wave, it is zigbee, but slightly worse in every aspect.

Ehm. Stereotyping much? As if locked down, proprietary designs and ecosystems were a french invention or only the French were using them. Can we keep such nationalistic jibes out of engineering, please?

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 08:41:46 am »
hi free_electron,
                       thanks for your reply. i had gone through your answer. but i expect an open stack, so that i can edit as my need and a hardware module that support zwave protocol.

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 09:02:04 am »
You sure expect a lot of things...

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 10:33:48 am »
Posting to simply follow the fun

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 03:36:09 pm »
hi free_electron,
                       thanks for your reply. i had gone through your answer. but i expect an open stack, so that i can edit as my need and a hardware module that support zwave protocol.
Then choose another protocol,  z-wave as free electron mentioned is a closed protocol, members only party. So your options for any success with z-wave are limited to
- the z-uno or
- pay $20000 and become a developer

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 04:53:19 pm »
open stack ? There is no such thing as free sauce in z-wave.
Sign the NDA , use the precompiled libraries and off you go. the z-wave protocol is closed and secret.
Even witht he NDA signed they will not disclose how the routing etc works. you get a precompiled library and an API. the z-wave stack is not available in source form.

It contains a number of features not found in zigbee (where everyone just farts around and doesn't give a rats ass about interoperability with someone else's products ).

Your product needs approval to get it on the market. simply to guarantee it will play nice with the other devices .

Like i said : i have a z-wave system in my house. Setup is real simple. Click the 'learn' button on the dongle , press the button on the device and they are now paired. the system is a mesh network that is self learning and self routing. i can send commands from a master to a slave (actuator device) , or 'pair' a controller to a slave device. The beauty of z-wave is that there is no master controller required. Most domotics system bank on a central controller. if that controller dies, crashes, explodes or whatever the entire system stops working. Z-wave doesnt have that problem. if a node dies , only that node is dead. the rest keeps functioning as intended.

oh, and z-wave is not french ( i don;t know where you got that ...) it comes from the scandinavian countries. denmark i believe )

The following users thanked this post: jayesh s

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 04:53:35 pm »
If he didn't understand the closed nature of the protocol then he's really in over his head ( http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/info-tech/95-engineers-in-india-unfit-for-software-development-jobs-study/article9652211.ece ) or hinting for some kind of cracked/pirate version.

I get the impression this is an attempt at being entrepreneurial and thinking someone on the internet is going to do all the work for you. 

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 08:57:32 pm »
If he didn't understand the closed nature of the protocol then he's really in over his head ( http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/info-tech/95-engineers-in-india-unfit-for-software-development-jobs-study/article9652211.ece )

Don't worry, European or US university grads are not much better.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 09:55:17 pm »
Either use something open with proper dev kits available, or pay Z-Wave...  their stuff is pay to play in every respect.  There's nothing open that I can find, except some basic host drivers maybe.

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 10:42:21 pm »
Don't worry, European or US university grads are not much better.
I went to a school where I knew their code program was crap but my company was footing the bill and I didn't want to be a code monkey.  An EE told me that more and more you really needed to have some background so I took some classes.  This was during the dot.com bubble though and they could place anyone they graduated regardless of their level of proficiency.  A few years later I had one of the professors tell me someone had told them to NEVER contact them about placement again because none of the coders they accepted were able to cut it.

I think all of this rush to believe every single person on Earth needs to be able to code is ludicrous, but I'm sure it is fueling the educational glut.  Of course it is being fueled by companies seeking to drive down their coding costs too.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 12:18:34 am »

Sadly, because as relatively well as Z-Wave works, there's a huge amount of total, complete, and utter junk on the market. Battery life measured in days, temperature sensors offset by 4C or more for no reason, total lack of documentation, etc.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2017, 01:13:38 am »
Posting to simply follow the fun

I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2017, 03:55:29 am »
hi free electron,
thanks for the replay. i dnt know that it is a closed protocol and no open stack. i was continuously searching for open stack in web. thanks. i am a part of research project. let me discuss with my mates as what have to do further.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf