Author Topic: Zero volt on the output of OP AMP  (Read 6163 times)

Offline Tommy1984Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Zero volt on the output of OP AMP
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:29:39 am »
As you all know, if the one shorts a decent multimeter props, it shows 0V if the one is measuring voltage. But, when I short the op amp inputs, I get few micro volts on the output (depends on the op amp and its input offset)! So my question is, how to get zero volt on the output of op amp without effecting the measures value ( I mean if I'm using an op amp to sense current)

Regards,
Tommy
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:16:03 am by Tommy1984 »

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Zero volt on the output of OP AMP
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 10:42:55 am »
You can use an opamp which has offset pins, like NE5534.
Or calibrate it out in software.
Or us one of the methods described here:
http://www.analog.com/media/en/training-seminars/tutorials/MT-037.pdf
Or use a different opamp with insignificant offset.

The following users thanked this post: Tommy1984

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:51:41 am »

Thank you for your reply!
Actually, I tried an OPA277 which has an offset trimmer (and very low input offset which is around 10uV), but, as the output is very low (tens of uV) and swinging a lot, it was so hard to trim it!

Any idea?

Regards,
Tommy

Offline Belrmar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:03:17 am »
It may happen if its rail  to rail performance is not too good, are you powering it from a split supply?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:17:31 am »
It may happen if its rail  to rail performance is not too good, are you powering it from a split supply?

Yes, it's powered by dual supply. (Split supply using another AD8629 to split 3V3).
Please check the schematic above!

Regards,
Tommy

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 11:24:32 am »

Take a look at figure 6 in this app note.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 11:37:10 am »
You may also add a small capacitor in parallel with R3 to limit the bandwidth and make the circuit easier to adjust. Try 1 nF or 10 nF. However, getting down to 1 uV offset range is very difficult as the op amps and the resistors are very sensitive to temperature changes. Have you checked any zero-drift op amps yet? They tend to have very low offset (typ. less than 10 uV down to 2 uV or even better) and you can then use the offset trim shown in figure 6 in the app note mentioned above. Please bare in mind that the trimpot may also drift with temperature.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 11:44:43 am »
You may also add a small capacitor in parallel with R3 to limit the bandwidth and make the circuit easier to adjust. Try 1 nF or 10 nF. However, getting down to 1 uV offset range is very difficult as the op amps and the resistors are very sensitive to temperature changes. Have you checked any zero-drift op amps yet? They tend to have very low offset (typ. less than 10 uV down to 2 uV or even better) and you can then use the offset trim shown in figure 6 in the app note mentioned above. Please bare in mind that the trimpot may also drift with temperature.

I'll make a cup of coffee and straight ahead to my work bench :-+
But dude, AD8629 has typical input offset voltage 1uV and max up to 5uV!
Do I need zero drift op amp?

Regards,
Tommy

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 12:12:40 pm »
If you're hoping to measure down to 10s of uV, the input VGND, output VGND, and R2 VGND need to be physically VERY close together, any u Volt drops in the gnd between them will appear on the output.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 12:24:19 pm »

I'll make a cup of coffee and straight ahead to my work bench :-+
But dude, AD8629 has typical input offset voltage 1uV and max up to 5uV!
Do I need zero drift op amp?

Regards,
Tommy

AD8629 is a zero-drift op amp, good. I wasn't reading the thread very carefully, but just noticed that you have tried OPA227 but missed you last post.

The gain of the circuit is 11 (G=1+R3/R2), so the AD8629 offset voltage will be amplified also by that same gain: the 1 uV typical offset voltage will become 11 uV offset voltage.

Adding a 1nF - 10nF capacitor across R3 will limit the bandwidth and reduce the noise somewhat. Using the trimming method shown in the figure 6 of the app note, you may be able to tweak the offset voltage closer to zero. But like I said earlier, the temperature effects in the resistors and trimpot may introduce some drifting as temperature changes, so getting a clean zero output might be a bit frustrating experience.

Offline forrestc

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 12:27:26 pm »
I think most everyone who has responded missed this part of your initial question:

I get few micro volts on the output (depends on the op amp and its input offset)!

You've got an opamp configured with 11x gain.  Even with 1uV of offset, you're going to get 11uV out.   Then you get to factor in all of the thermoelectric effects which can easily add a few more uV to the picture.   There are applications where this matters, and for those there are ways to minimize these effects.  This takes careful design and board layout and similar.

Fortunately current sensing (your stated application) isn't one of them.  Typically if you're sensing current you're going to introduce a voltage drop into the sensed circuit on the order of tens of mV, not uV.   At 11x gain, this produces an output so large that a few uV isn't going to matter, especially given that you're unlikely to be able to introduce a current sensor (aka resistor) into the circuit with enough absolute accuracy that that 10uV matters.

If you're willing to share a few more of your application details, we might be able to point you in a more acheivable direction.   Depending on the exact specifics, sometimes a traditional opamp isn't even the correct solution, especially when sensing currents on higher voltage sources (i.e. more than a few volts).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 12:36:29 pm »
If you're hoping to measure down to 10s of uV, the input VGND, output VGND, and R2 VGND need to be physically VERY close together, any u Volt drops in the gnd between them will appear on the output.

Good point to think with!

regards,
Tommy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 12:50:10 pm »

If you're willing to share a few more of your application details, we might be able to point you in a more acheivable direction.   Depending on the exact specifics, sometimes a traditional opamp isn't even the correct solution, especially when sensing currents on higher voltage sources (i.e. more than a few volts).

I'll start from the beginning then.
The goal is to make (or at least trying to make) an ammeter with range of 5A to 1uA without using several shunt resistors to switch between for every range.
So across just one shunt resistor, voltage drop range is between 500 mV and 0.1uV. The ADC much be 24-bits to handle this wide range. I chose 10 times gain so my new range is 5000mV to 1uV.
As long the shunt resistor is shorting the two op amp inputs without any current going through (without any voltage drop), so the difference between the two terminals must be zero (theoretically) and the ADC must read ZERO on output, which I'm not getting up to now. 

Regards,
Tommy

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 03:34:16 pm »
What test equipment are you using to measure the offset ?

What is absolute accuracy you want in measurement, temp range
environment it will be used in ?

An excellent online book on precision, error budgets.......

https://books.google.com/books?id=yLMgBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA90&lpg=PA90&dq=opamp+offset+pease&source=bl&ots=XH_TzOqr9Q&sig=MPq_LcggzhBVYLIzvGa-08y4I38&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjltoSX5K_ZAhUmw1kKHU0ZC4oQ6AEITjAE#v=onepage&q&f=false

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 03:44:11 pm »
What test equipment are you using to measure the offset ?

What is absolute accuracy you want in measurement, temp range
environment it will be used in ?

I'm using Voltcraft with minimum resolution 10uVDC, so I could able to get values => 10uV.
I wanna be able to read down to 1uV +/- 0.1uV @ 25 degrees C.

Regards,
Tommy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 03:57:25 pm »
Adding a 1nF - 10nF capacitor across R3 will limit the bandwidth and reduce the noise somewhat. Using the trimming method shown in the figure 6 of the app note, you may be able to tweak the offset voltage closer to zero. But like I said earlier, the temperature effects in the resistors and trimpot may introduce some drifting as temperature changes, so getting a clean zero output might be a bit frustrating experience.

It rather worked! :-+
But because my multimeter as I mentioned before has 10uV as a minimum resolution, so I'm not sure what does the 000.00 mV on my multimeter screen means  :-DD
Anyway, I changed my resistors values to 20 and 180R so I got 10 times gain with less noise and bias current of course.
And for the external offset trim I used a 20K resistor and 20K trim-pot and as I said, zeroooo, but I wasn't sure what if it was under 10uV.
Anyway, I'll wait for my 24-bits ADC or I have to buy a new multimeter with more resolution.

OBS! I didn't use any caps because I wasn't sure about the noise value!

OBS! I simulated my circuit on LTspice and got 10uV offset voltage!

Regards,
Tommy   
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:01:15 pm by Tommy1984 »

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 04:15:03 pm »
I looked at several voltcraft manuals, they shows 100 uV resolution,
and accuracy in range of +/- .5% to .6%, read (on 200 mV scale) an
accuracy +/- 1000 to +/- 1200 uV.

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 04:33:46 pm »
I looked at several voltcraft manuals, they shows 100 uV resolution,
and accuracy in range of +/- .5% to .6%, read (on 200 mV scale) an
accuracy +/- 1000 to +/- 1200 uV.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the model number. It's VC-880.
Min resolution is 10uV. You can check here
https://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/124609/Handheld-multimeter-Digital-VOLTCRAFT-VC880-Calibrated-to-Manufacturers-standards-no-certificate-Data-logger-CAT-III?ref=searchDetail

And please read my last reply to Kalvin!

Regards,
Tommy

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 04:42:02 pm »

It rather worked! :-+
But because my multimeter as I mentioned before has 10uV as a minimum resolution, so I'm not sure what does the 000.00 mV on my multimeter screen means  :-DD
Anyway, I changed my resistors values to 20 and 180R so I got 10 times gain with less noise and bias current of course.
And for the external offset trim I used a 20K resistor and 20K trim-pot and as I said, zeroooo, but I wasn't sure what if it was under 10uV.
Anyway, I'll wait for my 24-bits ADC or I have to buy a new multimeter with more resolution.

OBS! I didn't use any caps because I wasn't sure about the noise value!

OBS! I simulated my circuit on LTspice and got 10uV offset voltage!

Regards,
Tommy

You probably need to increase the feedback resistors in order to reduce the output current, as you are now very close to the maximum specified output current +/-10 mA. I would use something larger values like 200 ohm and 1800 ohm.

The trimpot of 20 kohm is okay, but you now also have to increase the 20 kohm resistor to 200 kohm or more: You can simulate the circuit using different values for the resistor from 200 kohm resistor up to 2 Mohm so that offset trim doesn't affect the gain, but you are still able to adjust the offset +/- 15 uV.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 04:58:56 pm »

You probably need to increase the feedback resistors in order to reduce the output current, as you are now very close to the maximum specified output current +/-10 mA. I would use something larger values like 200 ohm and 1800 ohm.

The trimpot of 20 kohm is okay, but you now also have to increase the 20 kohm resistor to 200 kohm or more: You can simulate the circuit using different values for the resistor from 200 kohm resistor up to 2 Mohm so that offset trim doesn't affect the gain, but you are still able to adjust the offset +/- 15 uV.

Isn't so weird :o

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 05:04:58 pm »
The goal is to make (or at least trying to make) an ammeter with range of 5A to 1uA without using several shunt resistors to switch between for every range.

Measuring 5A down to 1mA is hard enough, so good luck with that. :)

For measuring a few uV across a current sense resistor a INA226 is going to be hard to beat.
www.ti.com/product/INA226
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 05:07:11 pm »
Measuring 5A down to 1mA is hard enough, so good luck with that. :)

That helps a lot DUDE :-+

Thank you :-DD

BTW, it was between 5A and 1uA, not 1mA, is it still hard enough? ;)

Regards,
Tommy
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:15:21 pm by Tommy1984 »

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 05:23:12 pm »

Isn't so weird :o

I ran the simulation, but I changed R1=200, R2=1.8k, R3=10MEG, R8=100k and R9=96k and the simulation gave offset voltage below 1 uV measured from U1 output.

Offline Damianos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 06:23:17 pm »
Very interesting project for a beginner!
An Ammeter with 7 digits resolution, made at home!
Using as a reference an instrument having an accuracy of 100 uV in the lowest range, while the requested resolution is 1 uV (accuracy?)!
How the amplifier will output 5V with 1.65V power supply is, of course, unimportant!
The Op-Amp noise figure is at least five times the requested resolution! (Signal 0.1 uV, Noise 0.5 uV typical)
... ...
After that, who cares about thermal voltages, interference...
With a little more effort, a ten or twelve digits instrument is easy to implement!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 06:40:07 pm »
Very interesting project for a beginner!
An Ammeter with 7 digits resolution, made at home!
Using as a reference an instrument having an accuracy of 100 uV in the lowest range, while the requested resolution is 1 uV (accuracy?)!
How the amplifier will output 5V with 1.65V power supply is, of course, unimportant!
The Op-Amp noise figure is at least five times the requested resolution! (Signal 0.1 uV, Noise 0.5 uV typical)
... ...
After that, who cares about thermal voltages, interference...
With a little more effort, a ten or twelve digits instrument is easy to implement!

Well thank you for your reply first.
I updated the power supply to 5V so it will be +/- 2V5 so the op amp can handle max 2300 mV (which is 2.3 A).
I said at the begging that i'm trying to make this project real.
I'm a beginner, beginners make mistake and I don't feel shame of that.
But, the real shame is, to hang around and read beginners posts and problems and mention their failures in some way as ooooo I AM F%&KING GENIUS!   
I bet people like you don't dare to post a question or do anything useful in their life!

Cheers,
Tommy
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:42:32 pm by Tommy1984 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf