Author Topic: EEVblog #370 - Kindle Paperwhite Teardown Review  (Read 24140 times)

Offline DarkPrinceTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
EEVblog #370 - Kindle Paperwhite Teardown Review
« on: October 14, 2012, 04:45:20 am »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: EEVblog #370 - Kindle Paperwhite Teardown Review
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 04:25:41 pm »
that macronix flash ship holds the pixel voltages for the e-ink grid.

e-ink displays are difficult to drive , especially if you want ot do grey scale. the flash chip probably holds the correction factors for each pixel per 'shade' of grey

the little 4 pin chip cold be a hall sensor...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:34:06 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 04:58:34 pm »
"A single charge lasts up to eight weeks, based on half an hour of reading per day with wireless off and the light setting at 10. Our breakthrough power management technology allows you to leave the light on at all times for the best possible contrast without sacrificing battery life."

This is double the life of the original Kindle they sell but only 28 hours, which gives an estimate (at 1420mAh) of 50mA. From a 3.7V cell that's about 0.19W.

I doubt the original Kindle used anywhere near that much (wasn't it supposed to be in sleep mode until you flicked a page?)  Perhaps they just made the battery smaller to get only 4 weeks on the cheaper Kindle.

At just 14 hours for the original Kindle, it's only a little short of the Kindle Fire, which does 11 hours.

What gives?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 05:00:43 pm by tom66 »

Offline Dread

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 05:10:16 pm »
Loved the episode, but I really wanted to know more about the e-ink design
do you think you might teardown an older kindle so we can see more on how the display works?
Thanks for another informative episode I feel like buying a Kindle right now, the display looked really great. I wonder if it could ever be done in colour or is that just totaly impossible?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:25:32 am by Dread »
The Optimist says the glass is half full, the Pessimist says its half empty, an engineer only see's a glass that’s twice as big as it needs to be!

Offline stewartallen

• Contributor
    • Stew's Spot
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 08:58:54 pm »
There is a switch that detects when you open or close the optional covers and turns the kindle on and off. I'm guessing it's a hall effect sensor and you where activating it with the screwdrivers magnetic tip.
It might be popular but that doesn't mean it's RIGHT

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 01:33:43 am »
Loved the episode, but I really wanted to know more about the e-ink design

I doubt there would be anything physically interesting to see.
All the interesting stuff would likely happen at the nano scale  ???

Dave.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 01:38:00 am »
based on half an hour of reading per day

Who are they kidding? Maybe that's meant to be an average. If I'm reading something absorbing like a novel, I will be reading 3-4 hours per day. Of course I can't read 3-4 hours every day, although if there were enough absorbing novels out there, maybe I would...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 01:56:35 am »
Of course I can't read 3-4 hours every day

Bingo!

Dave.

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 02:55:42 pm »
Half an hour? No way for me, I tend to go cover to cover in one settings if I can, that's anywhere from six to twelve hours.

Offline deathbydesign

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 08:58:06 pm »
Half an hour? No way for me, I tend to go cover to cover in one settings if I can, that's anywhere from six to twelve hours.

Wow! I envy that you have that time to read in a day! You'd still have no problems with the Kindle's charge then. The Kindle's battery can last for 8 weeks if you read half an hour a day, which means approximately 28 hours of reading on a single charge. That means you could read for 12 hours straight and still have 16 hours left to spare!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:02:13 pm by deathbydesign »

Offline batterypowerguy

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 09:07:05 pm »
The i2c bus is actually probably smbus for a fuel gauge/battery protection, seems like its smart enough to throw a repair error if its not getting an ack from the fuel gauge. Someone needs to take one of these batteries apart, I would love to see it, I wonder whos cells they are using? hopefully a brand name like BAK.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 10:18:06 pm »
Cell origin Japan, so likely Sony.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 02:05:25 am »
the displays are made by e-ink. http://www.eink.com/display_products.html
there is even a full color one.

the driver applies a high voltage to attract or repel the pigment particles. a single cell is essentially a capacitor and you 'store' a charge.
depending on positive or negative the pixel turns black or white. the storing is 'analog' meaning you have grayscale capability. there is compensation needed depending on adjacent cell charge and the display controller takes care of that.

controllers traditionally used to by ricoh but that division was sold to seiko/epson. Dialog semiconductor makes the high voltage controller while the 'brains' are made by epson , marvell and others.

you can buy sample kits of displays. they want 50$ and will send you 5 display. they have a few simple ones like a bargraph and some alphanumerical displays avaialble.

the only problem is : these are all polyimide film based and have no on board electronics. you are supposed to hot-melt the edge strip on a pcb containing the controller... good luck on that one. and the controllers are hard to get.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline AndreasF

• Frequent Contributor
    • mind-dump.net
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 07:20:10 am »
Quick question about the issue "PWM-control or not" for the LED brightness. In the video Dave says he sees no flicker on the camera and takes that as an indication that it is not PWM controlled.

I understand that you would expect flicker from some sort of aliasing between the relatively low (sample) rate of the camera and the higher PWM frequency, but would you always expect to see flicker, regardless how high the PWM frequency is? Wouldn't the flicker eventually disappear if the PWM frequency gets higher and higher?
my random ramblings mind-dump.net

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 08:15:48 am »
Quick question about the issue "PWM-control or not" for the LED brightness. In the video Dave says he sees no flicker on the camera and takes that as an indication that it is not PWM controlled.

I understand that you would expect flicker from some sort of aliasing between the relatively low (sample) rate of the camera and the higher PWM frequency, but would you always expect to see flicker, regardless how high the PWM frequency is? Wouldn't the flicker eventually disappear if the PWM frequency gets higher and higher?

Why not take a look with a scope? Even if the unit has been put back together, you could probably get enough pickup by wafting a scope probe near the LEDs if it was PWM.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 08:29:35 am »

Yes - above a couple of hundred Hz you won't get flicker - with  indoor shooting the exposure time will be comparable to the  framerate so will integrate any PWM flicker. It's hard to get good current-controlled dimming, especially at low levels where part-part differences can become noticeable, and colour balance can shift, and PWM is simpler, therefore cheaper to do.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 10:40:12 pm »
There's been many complaints about the Paperwhite's lighting being uneven at the bottom, with Amazon even acknowledging the issue. Since Dave said in the review that the lighting was great and even, is there variation between units, or is it only noticeable under some conditions?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 11:21:40 pm »
Since Dave said in the review that the lighting was great and even, is there variation between units, or is it only noticeable under some conditions?

It varies from device to device. There is also another issue, that prevents me from getting one - on some devices entire screen is covered by slightly colored spots, like interference patterns from thin films. Look at the customer's photos an you'll see it, looks pretty bad.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:23:12 pm by ataradov »
My RSS reader is blocked by the forum, so I won't be actively reading it. If you need to reach me, use email.

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 05:49:19 pm »
An unfortunate Kindle customer had all her ebooks wiped off her Kindle and her Kindle bricked remotely by Amazon because she did something "illegal" with her contents. The kicker is that Amazon won't explain to her what she did wrong!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/oct/22/amazon-wipes-customers-kindle-deletes-account

I've decided to stick with paper and my laptop!
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 06:53:04 pm »
An unfortunate Kindle customer had all her ebooks wiped off her Kindle and her Kindle bricked remotely by Amazon because she did something "illegal" with her contents. The kicker is that Amazon won't explain to her what she did wrong!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/oct/22/amazon-wipes-customers-kindle-deletes-account

I've decided to stick with paper and my laptop!

And you know what? Nothing will happen, unless that particular victim manages to create a shitstorm on the Internet. And if she manages she only might get kind of a refund. There won't be a change in the system. And there won't be much, if any, loss of sales for Amazon, because the average user simply does not care.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 07:43:39 pm »
The only way to fix this is to blow a hole in Amazon's 'you have no rights' click through contract.  Find a jurisdiction where that isn't enforceable, and have someone sue amazon for destruction of property.  Unfortunately, first sale is pretty much dead worldwide.  B@W is right on, no amount of media shitstorm is going to fix the underlying problem.  At worst, Amazon will just refund this woman and say "we are evaluating our procedures to hack into devices you purchased and delete your files to make sure we only do it to really bad people in the future".

But until what they did is correctly identified as a crime, you can expect only more of this.  But what is a crime for an ordinary person is responsible behavior for a company, at least if your corporation is big enough and your lawyers drive fancy enough cars.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 09:46:06 pm »
The only way to fix this is to blow a hole in Amazon's 'you have no rights' click through contract.  Find a jurisdiction where that isn't enforceable, and have someone sue amazon for destruction of property. 

Don't forget this requires deep pockets. You will have to buy the best lawyers money can buy. And in some jurisdictions you will have to buy the best judge money can buy, too.

You also have to have a lot of time and patience. Just in case Amazon decides it is in their best interest to drag this out for as long as they can, to make it expensive for you, and to break your will.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 07:44:40 am »
And there won't be much, if any, loss of sales for Amazon, because the average user simply does not care.
Until Amazon comes for the average user - by which time it will be too late!

I have always suspected that digital media makes it easier for the authorities and corporations to keep tabs on what people read.
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 08:17:19 pm »
Whoa this is a nice discussion, have to return when I have a proper keyboard.
In the meantime can somebody let me know if the paperwhite kindle is DIM enough to comfortably read in the dark?

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 09:30:48 pm »
Bump...
Can somebody test the "paperwhite" kindle in pitch dark and give me some estimate if the brightness seems to go "low enough"? I have a galaxy note and while the screen is brilliant, literally, the amoled display seems to have only 24 or so levels and the lowest isn't low enough, not by a long shot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf