Author Topic: (AU) TARGET selling metal drawer cabinets for desktop use $15  (Read 9037 times)

Offline wilfredTopic starter

• Super Contributor
(AU) TARGET selling metal drawer cabinets for desktop use $15
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:39:17 pm »
/.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:39:40 am by wilfred »

The following users thanked this post: enut11, MarvinTheMartian

Offline ruairi

• Frequent Contributor
Re: (AU) TARGET selling metal drawer cabinets for desktop use $15
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:52:34 pm »
Excellent value.  If anyone finds something similar at Target USA please let us know.

The following users thanked this post: apelly

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 04:44:37 am »
Look good - not many stores have them in stock near me though (have to travel 17km to get one).

@Wilfred
 - do you think it is a strong enough construction to screw it up under my bench or would I need to build a shelf?
 - How deep are the draws (enough space for tools eg pliers, etc; or for probes?) - they look about 50mm high.

Thanks.
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 06:40:22 am »
Don't know where you are but Camberwell had 20 yesterday.

The drawers are 47mm deep. possibly another 2mm might still close. They are 228mm wide and 363mm long. All internal measurements.

As for screwing them below a bench. Yes I think you could. Obviously I prefer you not rely on an untested opinion.  I'd say the sheet steel is about 1mm the folded lip on the drawers is 2mm.
Thanks Wilfred. :)

I'm in the Blue Mountains - nearest one with stock is ~17km away (St Marys) I'll call first before driving down.

I'm only thinking of putting light materials in there, so screwing to the underside of the bench should be OK (if not, I'll put a strap around it as well or build a shelf for it to sit on.  :)
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 04:54:17 pm »
Build the shelf, that sheet metal is likely 0.8mm steel on the sides and top, and only 1mm with the 2 coats of paint on it.  Using a screw to hold it through the top will either distort the unit or just pull through, depending on load and how big a fender washer you use. Size will likely fit 250 sheets of A4 paper inside the drawer, though you might fit a ream in there with care.

Last week there was a lovely 30 drawer unit at the scrapyard, sadly rather well dented and buckled though, and with half the pull out card drawers missing.

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 01:58:10 am »
Yes, I had decided not to bolt it underneath when I went to buy the drawers - it is quite weighty in itself (before putting anything in it!)  :palm:

So I decided to by two of them  :-// so I can just stand them underneath the bench (or to one side) one on top of the other.

I haven't got the room to put them on the bench itself unfortunately.

I'm now searching for some plastic parts trays that will fit nicely into each drawer to make the parts easy to find (and to quickly see if I have to restock anything too).

The drawers do not have a stopper on them which will be an advantage as I can pull the drawer right out and place it on top the find what I am after, rather than trying to bend right down to the lower drawers and not having enough light to see by.  :-+

Very happy with the purchase (and all thanks to Wilfred  :))

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 03:46:55 am »
Now I'm going to HAVE to check them out!    :(

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 03:12:10 am »
Tnx. Just bought 2 - one for me, one for the missus. Still a dozen or so left at Chermside. Sign on the pile said $29, but scanned @ $15. Sale ends tomorrow I think (the sign said 29/2!)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:15:26 am by Tac Eht Xilef »

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 04:47:17 am »
Thanks Wilfred, just checked and it appears to be in stock in a store 5 minutes drive away... I'm off!

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 05:19:03 am »
All the ones (four of them) showing stock close by have none when you call them.

Target's stock system isn't the best me thinks.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 06:24:14 am »
All the ones (four of them) showing stock close by have none when you call them.

Target's stock system isn't the best me thinks.
Dead right. Just got back, nothing.
They say their stock numbers on the web are about a week behind and even then central HQ has no idea about a lot of their shit round the back

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 08:49:10 am »
My local store had gone from in stock to limited stock before I could get in there. I just went and after a fair bit of searching and asking staff members, they were found and I bought 3 of them. I have one of the black office works ones and these fee pretty good by comparison (can't go past it for $15 each)

Cannington still had about 5 sets once I grabbed mine and they were near the stationery section.

Thanks for the heads up on these.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 11:34:14 am »
Was passing by a Target on the way from point A to point B today and had a few minutes to spare.  Popped in and after asking, found their display.  I was thinking of maybe getting 3 or 4, but when I saw 4 in boxes and a fifth on display, I started thinking......

After a little discussion and some hesitancy on my part, I was finally offered 10% off to take the lot.  So I did.  Now it was time to face the boss.

SWMBO is big on crafts - and, as it turns out, these drawers are absolutely PERFECT for storing spools of thread.

I think I may get to keep 2 of the 5.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 11:49:31 am »
2 out of 5. There's a challenge for you negotiating skills. Aim high and try for 3.  ;)

I wouldn't. I'd take the points for later.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 12:32:36 pm »
Those of us with more years under the belt don't even think of challenging.  Brownie points are the only positive that can be taken from this point forward.

Besides, I think patience might win out.  From a rough guesstimation, I reckon she will be hard pressed to fill 2, so I might end up with 3 after all.

Having said that, however, I do not underestimate someone's creative abilities - and the possibility of their ideas broadening to take up the space available (this is not a malaise unique to the world of electronics).  My best bet is to lay solid claim to the two I have clear title over at this point, or I could end up going backwards.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 12:59:43 pm »
I brought 4 of the taller 10 drawer Officeworks ones after looking around a bit for anything more suitable. They came with budget wheels so I'll be making a wooden dolly eventually as loaded these are heavy to move.

My two gripes is the drawers slide on the painted underside finish of each drawer and would have been way nicer with actual sliders. I partly resolved this by spraying silicone spray on a clean rag and applying it to the underside edge of each draw.

The other is that if you are holding the drawer by the handle and you have anything heavy in it you can drop the contents of the draw as they have no stoppers. So I'm thinking about making some of captive mechanism so I can't pull the draw completely out unless it's intentional.

They don't really suit multi-meters or tools in my opinion because of size and the more weighted down the harder they are to slide.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 11:35:56 pm »
I wouldn't. I'd take the points for later.

That's probably a better idea.

Always handy to have a few brownie points up your sleeve!  :-DD

My two gripes is the drawers slide on the painted underside finish of each drawer and would have been way nicer with actual sliders. I partly resolved this by spraying silicone spray on a clean rag and applying it to the underside edge of each draw.

The other is that if you are holding the drawer by the handle and you have anything heavy in it you can drop the contents of the draw as they have no stoppers. So I'm thinking about making some of captive mechanism so I can't pull the draw completely out unless it's intentional.
I agree sliders would have been better - I was planning on using silicon spray also (though a teflon tape would be a better option as @Wilfred says - if it exists!

I'm not sure if putting stoppers on the drawers is a plus or minus - it can be handy to pull the drawer right out and place on top to easily access the contents, but as you say if it is heavy you don't want to actually pull the drawer out accidentally.  :scared:

I like the idea of making a tower of them on wheels. Just need to find a good way to secure them together. I'd like to avoid drilling holes.

The first thought was some aluminium angle bars at each corner and rise a few cm above the top one. Then tie them together with threaded rods. Just because I have both to hand.

If you don't want to drill holes, just use some tape on the sides and back to secure the drawer sets together (if you don't mind the look of course).

A better option is to run a silicon bead over the top edge of the bottom unit, then place the top unit on and let it set. That should hold it very securely, not be unsightly and easily removed at a future date if required without any damage (I think I will do this  :-+).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:53:48 pm by MarvinTheMartian »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 11:44:10 pm »
Damn - not showing up at the US Target site.  :rant:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 12:59:40 am »
Same name , same logo but not the same company. Not even the name is licensed unlike the parent company of both Target (Aus) and Kmart (Aus) which still licenses the KMart name from an earlier joint venture.

OK.

Isn't this basically the same thing? It's sold at the Container Store here for $99! I've seen them first hand but balked at the price.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/bisley-white-5-drawer-cabinet/d?productId=11000869&q=5 drawer

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 01:42:00 am »
Exactly the same  (minus the logo) - pity it's not the same price 😥

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 02:53:46 am »
I'm sunk.  I'm only getting 2 of my 5.

The other 3 have been 'installed' - and they are such a neat fit, that even I like the look of where they ended up.  There are 2 walls between them and my bench, so too far away to 'second'.

The only good thing is the brownie points have been consolidated.

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 03:30:44 am »
The only good thing is the brownie points have been consolidated.

There's always a silver lining somewhere  ;D

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 03:31:52 am »
Last year I bought 4x Android 9.7 inch tablets for $7ea.
Wow! I'll have to keep an eye on Target specials in future! :-+

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 09:39:55 am »
I am an idiot.

The two units left from my purchase were still in their boxes, since I had to reorganise a few things.  Somebody noticed I hadn't put them into service and had worked out that the three they had commandeered were not only good for what they had in mind - but for a number of other items as well.  They had assessed the space where the first three had been placed and found there was room for three more sitting on top of them.  I said nothing - but I had to agree the location worked in really well.

Yes, three.

So, presented with the "logic" of my non-use and the suitability for their needs, I have not only lost claim to the other two (well, if I don't want to end up in the dog house) - but I have to go looking for another one.

:palm:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:43:05 am by Brumby »

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 10:52:27 am »
I am an idiot.
Agreed  >:D

You should have unboxed them straight away even though you weren't ready to use them.

You were on a losing case once the better half noticed that they were not being used!  :scared:

Website shows limited stock at Bondi, Eastgardens, Campbelltown, Liverpool but you should ring up first (I believe the stock updates may not be that accurate).

Not sure where abouts you are - there may be others closer to you.

Good luck!  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf