Author Topic: [DE/EU] Group sale of 5 Anritsu MG3633A Signalgenerators (10 kHz to 2700 MHz)  (Read 7481 times)

Offline DC1MCTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I think philpem and cjay will take one, too?

Found this at page 17 in the service manual:

Sound good  :-/O

Up until we have a clear commitment, there are still two open positions, but it could be that if by the end of the week-end there are no committed takers, that is putting their wallet were the mouth is, we may have a mystery angel willing to pick the remaining ones for later resale and close the deal, now that we have a complete service manual and it's proven that the power supply can be wired for 220-240V it may be not such a bad investment. The brochure promises really good performance.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
I think philpem and cjay will take one, too?

Found this at page 17 in the service manual:

Sounds good  :-/O

Tentatively, yes, I want one but I need to know how much the total price would be including shipping to the UK, I think philpem and I would share the shipping cost?

I'd very much appreciate a copy of the service manual as well.

• Super Contributor

Tentatively, yes, I want one but I need to know how much the total price would be including shipping to the UK, I think philpem and I would share the shipping cost?

I'd very much appreciate a copy of the service manual as well.

Then get one from the reply 21  :-// ?

Offline dundee

• Regular Contributor
I don't know if it is cheaper to send them as pair to UK.

Example shipping for one device in the attachments. They a very heavy (32kg).

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Good news:

The seller confirms he didn't open the units and made no attempts to repair them. Though he cannot guarantee for whatever has been done to them before he got them. They all turn on, some have no output signal, at least one has a signal with wrong or unstable level. One was accidentally connected to 230V, fuse blown, tested afterwards with 110V, turns on but no signal. Unknown state before, so it may or may not have been damaged by the misapplication of 230V.

Looks like a real good deal, especially because we have a service manual now.

We have an option to get them, but this cannot happen before end of February. To seller took them on hold until then. I'll take one, and one is for DC1MC. So there's three of them available for forum members (maybe already taken, didn't read the details). Please make your commitment to DC1MC, conditions as told before, shipping not included since this looks quite expensive due to the weight.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Sorry, I'm out, that shipping cost pushes it out of my comfort zone for a faulty piece of equipment.

I wish you all the best of luck in repairing them and hope you all get a really nice sig gen out of it.

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
Regarding shipping to the UK - There is a vague chance of me visiting the UK by car later this year as a vacation. However I won't promise that, it all depends on money and SWMBO.
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline stevelup

• Regular Contributor
If you find someone with a UPS account that has 'negotiated rates', it should cost around £50 or possibly less.

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
Regarding shipping to the UK - There is a vague chance of me visiting the UK by car later this year as a vacation. However I won't promise that, it all depends on money and SWMBO.

Check the Federal Jewish Mail Administration. They have been VERY kind to me, shipping a big ass TDS754 from Vienna to the USA for 71.25€. I took the Tek from Slovakia to Vienna on the train, and it still was much cheaper than Slovenska Posta.

www.post.at or something like that. And I can also hit up a friend of mine who has a shipping account with GLS, if this is wanted.
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline philpem

• Frequent Contributor
  • That Sneaky British Bloke
Well that's me out then.
Phil / M0OFX -- Electronics/Software Engineer
"Why do I have a room full of test gear? Why, it saves on the heating bill!"

• Super Contributor
Even if the seller raised the EBAY price, the price for the forum members remains the same for a while (until middle February latest )  :-+

So please hurry up to fill the order !!!

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
I am in the UK. Is the total price 350 Euros for 1 unit including shipping or is shipping to UK extra?

• Super Contributor
I am in the UK. Is the total price 350 Euros for 1 unit including shipping or is shipping to UK extra?

Shipping to UK isn't included, see reply 33 for some possible options. On the other hand, there is the possibility for safely storing them in different areas of Germany after sale until shipping or pick-up can be arranged.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
What happened? He doubled the price of the package o.o
https://www.ebay.de/itm/5x-Anritsu-Signalgenerator-MG-3633A-110Volt-10-Khz-2-7Ghz/292367119463

These units are now reserved for us until about mid of  February (I can't drive there before due to my damaged achilles), the seller increased the visible price to keep others away from the generators. Our price is still the same.

The plan is DC1MC and me are driving up to Duesseldorf then, inspect and buy the units, then distribute to all buyers (including ourselves) by random drawing as DC1MC explained. As we cover this part of the logistics, the unit price includes our cost to pick them up, but doesn't cover shipping.

The generators are large and heavy, so shipping won't be cheap or easy anyway (that's the main reason the seller won't ship them) and difficult to calculate a total unit price ATM if the shipping would be shared among all buyers (in case everyone agrees to that). There's still some time left to find ways to distribute them (e.g. probably I'll be visiting the embedded world fair at Nurenberg a few days after picking up the units, so we could arrange a handover for southern Germany).

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
Ouch!

Looks like I'm too late to join in ... I'd certainly need a nice signal generator. I could afford the 350 €, but - having no car -, I'm severely hampered when it comes to picking it up (but I could give a kind soul adequate compensation for driving it home to me, some 25 km east of Stuttgart).

And I have some serious doubts I would be able to fix that guy ...

Just in case you need another buyer. If not, please disregard.

• Super Contributor
Ouch!

Looks like I'm too late to join in ... I'd certainly need a nice signal generator. I could afford the 350 €, but - having no car -, I'm severely hampered when it comes to picking it up (but I could give a kind soul adequate compensation for driving it home to me, some 25 km east of Stuttgart).

And I have some serious doubts I would be able to fix that guy ...

Just in case you need another buyer. If not, please disregard.

Hi, if you're a bio-German ;), like native speaker and stuff, you should be able to find somebody to come to Mannheim and pick it up, I'll shelter yours until you find some transport. I mean Stuttgart to Mannheim should be doable, anyway, if you are committed, please confirm, don't forget that we'll allocate them via a lottery and you may be lucky and get one that is not that badly damaged.

About repairing, you need to have a project to improve your skills, this and  having a real professional signal generator should be worth the risk, in the worst case you can sell parts of it and get back some money, it's pretty modular. Think about it and try to confirm, if you take one, then there is one more left and that's it.

Cheers,
DC1MC

Offline Momchilo

• Regular Contributor
Not interested, but shipping coasts with GLS from Germany to GB would be 30€ for a big package. It can weight 40kg and the size could be
120cm x 60cm x 30cm. Other sizes are possible too, for the same price. Just a tip for you guys.

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor

Hi, if you're a bio-German ;), like native speaker and stuff, you should be able to find somebody to come to Mannheim and pick it up, I'll shelter yours until you find some transport. I mean Stuttgart to Mannheim should be doable, anyway, if you are committed, please confirm, don't forget that we'll allocate them via a lottery and you may be lucky and get one that is not that badly damaged.

About repairing, you need to have a project to improve your skills, this and  having a real professional signal generator should be worth the risk, in the worst case you can sell parts of it and get back some money, it's pretty modular. Think about it and try to confirm, if you take one, then there is one more left and that's it.

Cheers,
DC1MC

Ah, I didn't quite get that lottery part (I'm always losing out on these, anyway). But yes, I am committed, so please do add me. In the improbable case that I get one I'll have to ask a friend to make a foray to Mannheim (never really was there, anyway, besides switching trains).

Thanks! (My native speaking is very native, i.e., I can't hide my swabian heritage.  ;))

• Super Contributor
OK, to summarize on where we are and repeat some stuff.
 - We are discussing about 5 defective Anritsu MG3633A Signalgenerators. I don't have any connection or pecuniary or other type interest or relation with the vendor, I just want one and want to organize the pickup and distribution, together with forum member "capt bullshot" that know the vendor and made him reserve for us.
 - You're not buying the devices from me or capt bullshot, you're buying from the EBAY guy, as "defective, for parts only" devices, that means no returns.
 - Lottery stuff: the devices have a paper with some kind of defect description, to avoid cherry picking and infighting we'll put the serial numbers on 5 pieces of paper, make 5 nice little balls and everybody will pick one (the non present guys with have the first draw). Whatever S/N you get this your device.
 - One device costs 350EUR, they will be put on an invoice and me and the support team will get strictly what is necessary to cover transporting them to our places where they will wait for the owners to pick them up, if there are some money left afterwards they will be reimbursed, no further shipping or handing is included.
 - For repairs there is a good service manual posted ( a rarity foe Anritsu) and the wonderful support of the forum  ^-^.
 - Member Ysjoelfir promised some help wt logistics or I'll go on 19.02 with capt bulshot to pick them up, I can hold some in Mannheim for later pick up.

Up until now we have:

1 - DC1MC (me)
 1 - Capt bulshot
 1 - dundee
 1 - Ero-Shan
 1 - (still available, if it get past the next week, we'll see if one of us will take two so we can proceed)

That's it, lunch break over, gentlemen on the list please select either me or Capt and PM for the money/pick-up issues.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
Thanks for the concise summary.

I just took a look at the service manual, which made my heart sink. It's quite obvious to me that I can't hope to repair anything but the most trivial or obvious fault. This thing is GHz over me head! I'm also lacking a spectrum analyzer, a power meter, modulation analyzer, and my none of my counters goes to 2.7 GHz. Apart from that, you'll probably going to need a dozen different extension cables and some exotic tools (certainly not cheap, if at all available).
(The obvious TEA reply will be that this is a perfect excuse to get all that gear.  :-DD)

But then, even without function, it might look rather impressive on the workbench.  ;)

• Super Contributor
Thanks for the concise summary.

I just took a look at the service manual, which made my heart sink. It's quite obvious to me that I can't hope to repair anything but the most trivial or obvious fault. This thing is GHz over me head! I'm also lacking a spectrum analyzer, a power meter, modulation analyzer, and my none of my counters goes to 2.7 GHz. Apart from that, you'll probably going to need a dozen different extension cables and some exotic tools (certainly not cheap, if at all available).
(The obvious TEA reply will be that this is a perfect excuse to get all that gear.  :-DD)

But then, even without function, it might look rather impressive on the workbench.  ;)

The generator part is organized in a group of isolated modules (I mean, really isolated, they are controlled via fiber optic links). If these things haven't been hit by lighting, extraordinary power surge or some square a-hole didn't try to repair them with the characteristic clumsiness of people that don't know that they don't know and also don't have to pay for their mistakes, then the chances are the issues will be:

- power supply, caps and related (55%)
 - digital control malfunction, corrupted eproms, dead logic (25%)
 - output overload, shortcircuit, back-power, bad attenuator ( 15%)
 - unobtanium super rare GaAs chip that controls everything on the analog side and related strange stuff that not even manufacturer can repair( the rest).

Of course the numbers are pulled mostly form my behind, but they seem to mirror my real life experience.

I mean, the device has independent generators and if one of them is gone, the other can still work. I'll take my chances and we'll see what comes of it.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
Bumping up this thread.

There's a plan: DC1MC and I will visit the dealer on Saturday, 17th of February. We'll have a look at them and most probably buy then. Units are available for pick-up or handover at ca. 290 ... 300 EUR or may be shipped at additional cost (we'd have to buy appropriate packaging material).

I've written PM to all members that were interested in buying a unit, please check and answer to my email account (or PM if you didn't get one from me).

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
I've written PM to all members that were interested in buying a unit, please check and answer to my email account (or PM if you didn't get one from me).

Just in case someone sent email to me and didn't get a response until now: I've had some technical problems receiving email, so your mail may have not been delivered to me. If you miss an answer from me, just try again, thanks.

• Super Contributor
Hello dear interested members, I'm bumping this thread for the interested to let us know their latest status.
As @capt bullshot said, on Saturday 17 we're going to pick them up, please PM me or him, there is still on unit available.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf