Author Topic: [eBay] new DER EE DE-5000 w/ tweezers, etc, for cheap  (Read 12832 times)

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
Re: [eBay] new DER EE DE-5000 w/ tweezers, etc, for cheap
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2018, 08:37:08 am »
They say "eBay Money Back Guarantee covers other electronic payment methods as well, when they are used in eBay Checkout, including ProPay, Skrill, Bill Me Later, credit card, and debit card.". But how does it work? I think they can only protect if payment is made via ebay website. In case of direct transfer to the seller's bank account they can't do anything (I believe).

If you try to scam eBay's cut, then how can you expect eBay to protect your from scammers?

Well spotted!   :clap:   Too funny!
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2018, 09:23:31 am »
Ooohhhh. Mine just got marked as shipped.

I’ve got a U1733C Agilent handheld, so don’t need a Der ee one, but if it does actually turn up then I have a cheap for work.

I’m very skeptical about this seller, but I’ve had wins similar to this in the past too.

Offline precaudTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 06:45:32 pm »
Yeah, the dannuer one. I started seeing bad feedback last night (shipped lego parts instead of the real product). I guess eBay finally figured it out.

Yes, and a couple more negatives today. That's it for me. I called eBay and asked them cancel the order. Since he hasn't shipped, they said he has to accept the cancellation.

They did confirm that the account is under investigation. But they also said that the item I bought is still an active listing.

Huh? It seems eBay is trying to play it both ways.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 08:00:17 pm »
Is it just me or is the seller actually offering only the TL-21 "pod" and not the LCR meter? (despite the last photo).

That would be a pretty normal price for that.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 08:05:10 pm »
"This seller is currently away, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later. "

Hmmm...

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 08:18:34 pm »
Is it just me or is the seller actually offering only the TL-21 "pod" and not the LCR meter? (despite the last photo).

That is a different auction by somebody else. eBay thinks it is a similar item and trying to be helpful. Click the link at the top and you'll see the original auction which is the full DE-5000 kit.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 09:42:56 pm »
Yes, that ebay thing of pointing you at different auctions is crap, they don’t exactly make it easy to see the original item.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2018, 07:17:17 am »
Yeah, not only is that redirect annoying, it even breaks (more like misleads you about) some of eBay's existing functionality. For example, when an item is relisted, the ended listing in the watchlist has a link to view the relisted item. If you click it, it gets...you guessed it...redirected to some other item. Way to go, eBay! :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2018, 01:07:31 pm »
The seller ignored the cancellation request. 9 hours later he posted a tracking number.
I sent him a message, telling him I want to cancel and a refund, why didn't he do it? No response from him (of course).
More neg feedbacks have been posted for dannuer.

Now we get to see what eBay is made of. They told me the seller must comply with a cancellation request made prior to shipping. They appear to be in CYA mode.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 02:05:55 pm »

That is a different auction by somebody else. eBay thinks it is a similar item and trying to be helpful. Click the link at the top and you'll see the original auction which is the full DE-5000 kit.

Ah duh, missed that thin bar at the top. That's really annoying eBay "feature".  :wtf:

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 09:48:05 pm »
Yeah, it's a stupid "feature." However, if it misleads enough people to increase sales, then it's more than likely to stay. Being a monopoly trumps the normal balance that poor usability might've imparted on the situation.

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2018, 02:53:12 pm »
Seller message:

hi friend, so sorry to trouble you ,
I am boss , I left some days , just come back ,
today I found some wrong about my buyer's packages ,
my warehouse staff made the mistake , sent many wrong items to different buyers ,
I have dismissed he ,
I am so so sorry for this case , now friend if you have got your package , and the item is right , please don't care this message ,
but if you got wrong item , please contact me first time , I will solve this case for you ,
hope to get your understanding , best regards

Another scam message?

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2018, 02:59:57 pm »
I just got the same message

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2018, 03:02:10 pm »
Seller message:

hi friend, so sorry to trouble you ,
I am boss , I left some days , just come back ,
today I found some wrong about my buyer's packages ,
my warehouse staff made the mistake , sent many wrong items to different buyers ,
I have dismissed he ,
I am so so sorry for this case , now friend if you have got your package , and the item is right , please don't care this message ,
but if you got wrong item , please contact me first time , I will solve this case for you ,
hope to get your understanding , best regards

Another scam message?

Scammer trying delay tactics. They've hidden their feedback now which is suspicious but one of the earlier comments was that they had resolved the "mistake" by firing the staff member responsible. That was several days ago so they're just using the same excuse again.

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2018, 03:53:10 pm »
Another side of this is, there's nothing to stop the "seller" from posting the same tracking number for multiple transactions "shipped". It is unlikely eBay checks for this.

Is it worthwhile to compare our tracking numbers? If they're the same, then we have some real ammo to present to eBay, and demand in immediate refund.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2018, 03:58:01 pm »
Another side of this is, there's nothing to stop the "seller" from posting the same tracking number for multiple transactions "shipped". It is unlikely eBay checks for this.
I'd be very surprised if eBay doesn't validate tracking numbers.

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2018, 04:24:16 pm »
What does "validate" mean?

If it tracks through the shipper's system (in this case, China Post), then its "validated". But that does not include checking the destination address.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2018, 05:31:03 pm »
What does "validate" mean?

If it tracks through the shipper's system (in this case, China Post), then its "validated". But that does not include checking the destination address.
Checking that the tracking number is unique in their system is incredibly easy. eBay knows about some shipping companies and will offer to link you directly to the relevant tracking page so they're doing something there.

If there were no checks at all and the scammers could just give out the same invalid tracking number for every auction then they wouldn't even bother shipping worthless junk to people.

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2018, 07:07:58 pm »
Checking that the tracking number is unique in their system is incredibly easy.

Easy? Yes. Do they do it? I bet not.

Another USA buyer sent me his tracking number privately, and it is different than mine. So dannuer appears not to be playing that game.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2018, 08:01:02 pm »
Something often arrives.  The SWMBO ordered cheap Ecco shoes off a Facebook advert a month ago.  The bank contacted her a few minutes later to ask if she was in China!  They decided to let the transaction through and told her to contact them if it did not arrive.  Just as others reported on Facebook cheap sunglasses arrived, recorded delivery, last week.   I'll have to start nagging her to get on to bank.  Needless to say it will not be a simple as a disputed PayPal transaction.

And before the feminists complain, I once ordered a projector screen from China, got a tracking number for the order.  But received an envelope containing glass beads.  Did not take long for PayPal to refund, others who ordered got the same.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2018, 02:46:59 am »
Yeah, we actually do have a 50-cent coin. It's large and rarely used in everyday life. I haven't come across one in many, many years. Using one might get a reaction similar to using a $2 bill ("Is this fake?").

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2018, 02:51:24 am »
He sent you a counterfeit coin instead of the lcr meter? Oh boy, something to look forward to...

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2018, 08:19:48 am »
Awe well...at least you gave it a shot! You win some and you lose some....  :-\
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline hifiguy99

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2018, 02:02:06 am »
I was one of those suckers who bought the DER DE-5000 and got lego pieces in the mail instead :palm: and I didn't even see this thread, lol.
It's okay, the seller refunded.

Anyways, if anyone is looking for this meter to get on sale, I would use the site-wide eBay coupon: PRONTO15
on this listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282040803373

to get the meter for sub $90, not tee shabby

Note that it ends today, but if you don't get it today, it will probably pop up next month, regarding the promo code that is
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 02:05:41 am by hifiguy99 »

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2018, 07:36:49 pm »
I received mine today; a 3x3 padded envelope with nothing in it. Customs declarations was for a "toy" with $5 value. A call to eBay and they refunded immediately.
I asked the CS rep how many buyers did the guy defraud. I guessed 18. She said no, only 17.
Only.
Just the cost of doing bidness for eBay, I suppose.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf