Author Topic: [eBay] new DER EE DE-5000 w/ tweezers, etc, for cheap  (Read 12864 times)

Offline precaudTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
[eBay] new DER EE DE-5000 w/ tweezers, etc, for cheap
« on: July 22, 2018, 12:06:46 am »
No affiliation with the seller, just happened to see it. $46 delivered is a heckuva price, they'll be gone before you know it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DER-EE-DE-5000-High-Accuracy-Handheld-LCR-Meter-w-TL-21-TL-22-TL-23-/123260330912

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: [eBay] new DER EE DE-5000 w/ tweezers, etc, for cheap
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 12:08:12 am »
Scam listings. I've seen several like it pop up from time to time, usually in batches. The real ones come from sellers in Japan rather than China, Malaysia, Thailand, etc. Of course, eBay will refund you if it's bogus.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:10:50 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline RobertPS

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 12:23:34 am »
Scammer or hacked account. Look at the seller history and the items that are listed now.

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 12:27:40 pm »
Could be. Or they were overordered/overproduced, there is a glut of them, and they are being cleared out. Happened a few months ago with unmarked AN8008's. The Chinese seem more inclined to use eBay for this sort of thing than other venues.

This seller has it for $65, still a very good deal.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DER-EE-DE-5000-High-Accuracy-Handheld-LCR-Meter-w-TL-21-TL-22-TL-23-NEW-/283063892449

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 02:12:49 pm »
Beware, they are hacked accounts, just make a call to ebay and ask how many times these accounts has been hacked.

For this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DER-EE-DE-5000-High-Accuracy-Handheld-LCR-Meter-w-TL-21-TL-22-TL-23-/123260330912
I made that call to ebay, and now in Spain this account is closed:
https://ibb.co/k6yHKJ

And for this other: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DER-EE-DE-5000-High-Accuracy-Handheld-LCR-Meter-w-TL-21-TL-22-TL-23-NEW-/283063892449
Please check this other and compare ad pictures:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DER-EE-DE-5000-High-Accuracy-Handheld-LCR-Meter-w-TL-21-TL-22-TL-23-NEW/172361199595?hash=item2821872feb:g:wi4AAOSwPCVYAbSb

Cheers.
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 12:08:54 am »
I contacted eBay. The rep looked into the seller's account and history, and they see nothing on their side to raise suspicions. The seller is in good standing with eBay and Paypal.

It is not unusual for sellers to copy photos and descriptions from other ads. It happens all the time. There are no eBay rules against it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 12:12:18 am »
I contacted eBay. The rep looked into the seller's account and history, and they see nothing on their side to raise suspicions. The seller is in good standing with eBay and Paypal.

It is not unusual for sellers to copy photos and descriptions from other ads. It happens all the time. There are no eBay rules against it.
Did they look into logins and IP address history?

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 12:23:48 am »
Did they look into logins and IP address history?

I have no way of knowing that. She assured me, if something did prove to be amiss, I would be reimbursed in full.

She did say one thing I found interesting. She didn't find this seller's listing behavior suspicious. She said they have numerous sellers in China who don't specialize in anything, they appear to buy large lots of various items and then sell them. Moreso than in the US.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 01:47:26 am »
With the volume of scams on eBay, I don't have much confidence in their interpretations. However, as a buyer, your risk is low since eBay will refund you if you don't get what the listing claims.

I'm skeptical because (1) I've tested out some of these kinds of listings and not long after I've paid, I get an email from eBay that they've removed the listing or I have to wait a month for the item not to show up before eBay finally generates a refund, and (2) this account, like others I've seen from time to time, have almost all of their products at around half the price of what other sellers in the same country are selling them despite the products being current models from Fluke, Micsig, Uni-T, etc. (i.e., it's highly unlikely that they're all clearing their distribution channels at the same time to this small number of resellers).

On occasion, there will be a new seller who, in order to get some momentum in their feedback, will sell at cost or even a loss for a short period. I remember a post where someone did score an item from such a seller. My "test" purchases have all ended up bogus, but that's just my experience.

So, if you have the time to spend on such listings, it's unlikely you'll lose money. But most of these, even if eBay can't tell yet, end up being a ruse.

If you do end up making a purchase, do let us know the result. Every one is a learning experience and spotting scams gets better with experience.

The following users thanked this post: Carrington

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 06:18:30 am »

I had a similar experience with Ebay. I contacted them for what I am "sure" is a fake listing for an expensive IR-camera. Indicators for fake according to me:

- pictures copied from a recent other auction, including a custom made connection box (unlikely this seller has the exact same one) and a picture only showing the serial number of the camera
- started from 1€, only listed for 3-days, no reserve
- no PayPal excepted, only money transfer
- sellers had no selling history for items like this at all

Yet, Ebay left the item on, and it went for almost 800€. I really hope I am wrong or the buyer is indeed protected in this case, but with the direct money transfer and the high amount, I would be not so sure...

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 06:30:45 am »
To what seller are you referring?  Because the "dannuer" account now offer 0 item (see pictures in attachments).  :-//
He sold it all!  :-DD
But let see what happen with the other seller...

Ok, why not, but scammers do the same.
Space Weather.

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 06:35:26 am »
With the volume of scams on eBay, I don't have much confidence in their interpretations. However, as a buyer, your risk is low since eBay will refund you if you don't get what the listing claims.

I'm skeptical because (1) I've tested out some of these kinds of listings and not long after I've paid, I get an email from eBay that they've removed the listing or I have to wait a month for the item not to show up before eBay finally generates a refund, and (2) this account, like others I've seen from time to time, have almost all of their products at around half the price of what other sellers in the same country are selling them despite the products being current models from Fluke, Micsig, Uni-T, etc. (i.e., it's highly unlikely that they're all clearing their distribution channels at the same time to this small number of resellers).

On occasion, there will be a new seller who, in order to get some momentum in their feedback, will sell at cost or even a loss for a short period. I remember a post where someone did score an item from such a seller. My "test" purchases have all ended up bogus, but that's just my experience.

So, if you have the time to spend on such listings, it's unlikely you'll lose money. But most of these, even if eBay can't tell yet, end up being a ruse.

If you do end up making a purchase, do let us know the result. Every one is a learning experience and spotting scams gets better with experience.
I think exactly the same.
Space Weather.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 06:38:30 am »
The Japanese sellers generally seem to have their own pictures, or sometimes stock photos.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 06:47:24 am »
I would say "scam",,, but I have been wrong before on these things. I wouldn't take a chance on this 1, it looks too dodgy!
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 07:08:16 am »
I gave it a try. Let's see.

The PP recipient is a "北京华泰溢丰国际贸易有限公司" (Beijing Huatai Yifeng Int'l Trading Co., Ltd), and I can't find any company registration information online.

Not all companies in China have an online presence, so it could be legit, but I have no idea if it is just another scam.

Anyway, that's why we pay PP and eBay 10%~15% of cut.

A braver man than I am! I hope it works out and you are rewarded for your bravery! LOL  ;D

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 11:21:04 am »
Right now I received a call from +49332038510 (ebay), to clarify me that this seller "psypwen" seem ok, nothing weird has been detected or reported, for now.
They also have clarified to me that sometimes they need a time to investigate in detail and take actions.
So, yeah, a real bargain...

Edit: I forgot, the ebay user dannuer was a different history, a total scam...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:28:02 am by Carrington »
Space Weather.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 02:25:31 pm »
I really hope I am wrong or the buyer is indeed protected in this case, but with the direct money transfer and the high amount, I would be not so sure...
I'm fairly certain that the eBay guarantee only applies if you paid via Paypal so those people would have lost it all.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 02:37:56 pm »
Awe man!  :'(

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 02:54:35 pm »
I'm fairly certain that the eBay guarantee only applies if you paid via Paypal so those people would have lost it all.

I believe that was true when eBay and PP were the same company... but not since they separated. eBay's "buyer protection" is not Paypal-dependent. It does have time limits, though. The claim has to be filed within 30 days of receipt, or of the last estimated delivery date, in the case of items not received.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 03:50:38 pm »
I believe that was true when eBay and PP were the same company... but not since they separated. eBay's "buyer protection" is not Paypal-dependent. It does have time limits, though. The claim has to be filed within 30 days of receipt, or of the last estimated delivery date, in the case of items not received.
It still say Paypal only on eBay UK.

Always pay for your purchases with PayPal.
To be eligible for the eBay Money Back Guarantee , you'll need to pay for your item using PayPal.
If you didn't pay with PayPal
If the seller hasn't resolved your issue you can still contact us and we will contact the seller to try to resolve the problem.

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 04:09:21 pm »

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2018, 08:34:25 pm »
I also took one, it worth the try, if fake i will get a refund and to have proof i will record the unpack.
Even if genuine and you don't want the item you can always get refunds, ebay over protect buyers (From my seller experience) and tend to burn sellers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:36:01 pm by sn4k3 »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2018, 11:12:46 pm »
To what seller are you referring?  Because the "dannuer" account now offer 0 item (see pictures in attachments).  :-//
He sold it all!  :-DD
But let see what happen with the other seller...

Yeah, the dannuer one. I started seeing bad feedback last night (shipped lego parts instead of the real product). I guess eBay finally figured it out.

The other seller, psypwen, has a slightly higher price, but still unusually low (likewise with other items from that seller).

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 08:19:01 am »
In the USA:

https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/questions.html#mbg

Paypal is not required.

They say "eBay Money Back Guarantee covers other electronic payment methods as well, when they are used in eBay Checkout, including ProPay, Skrill, Bill Me Later, credit card, and debit card.". But how does it work? I think they can only protect if payment is made via ebay website. In case of direct transfer to the seller's bank account they can't do anything (I believe).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf