Author Topic: sold  (Read 4037 times)

Offline wraperTopic starter

• Supporter
sold
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:20:48 am »
ALL SOLD
For sale mercury wetted, double sealed, high power reed relays CLARE HGRM-55211-P00.  100W, 500V DC/AC, 2A switching current, 5A Carry current. Coil voltage: 12V nominal, 35V max, 680 Ohm resistance, 7.5mA pull-in current. Operating rates up to 200Hz. Life expectancy 1x109 Ops minimum, 2x109 Ops typ. 10 EUR/11 USD 7.20 EUR/8 USD piece. 2 EUR/2.20USD worldwide shipping (any quantity) with tracking number. Will accept GBP too. Payment with paypal.
Datasheets attached.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:57:03 pm by wraper »

• Supporter
Price reduced

Offline cio74

• Regular Contributor

• Supporter
Will accept GBP too.

For now   :-\
I have about a grand of GBP cash in the drawer and my sister in UK owes me a LOT of GBP too. So this cannot become much worse than that  :scared:.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 06:33:59 am by wraper »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
What is the normal application for these?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Supporter
AFAIK they were used in telecommunication a lot. What they provide is a huge lifespan and super fast bounce free switching. Also as I understand, they don't need wetting current therefore can switch very low current signals without an issue.
The mercury-wetted relay has one particular advantage, in that the contact closure appears to be virtually instantaneous, as the mercury globules on each contact coalesce. The current rise time through the contacts is generally considered to be a few picoseconds, however in a practical circuit it will be limited by the inductance of the contacts and wiring.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us

They were also used in picosecond rise time pulse generators back in the day. Properly connected (with hardline and GR connectors) they would produce amazingly flat pulses with virtually no aberrations and rise times in the ps range.

Tektronix actually made a commercial pulse generator with mercury whetted relays, circa 1960-something. The big disadvantage is the relays have a very finite lifespan. If you forgot to turn the pulse generator off before leaving the lab on a Friday, the relay would be dead on Monday, that sort of thing.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor

:-+-
Self renewing (liquid Mercury) contact surfaces, giving:
- Zero contact bounce, fast edges
- Ability to switch down to zero voltage and zero current (the only contacts that can do this)
- Constant contact resistance throughout life
- If used within ratings they have an operating life in the Billions of operations range.

:--
Liquid Mercury Contact surfaces, meaning:
- They need to be mounted vertically (all contacts close when inverted)
- Don't like violent shaking (as above)
- They freeze at -38'C

They still have a useful place in one-off test equipment if you can get them (RoHS). They're perfectly safe if you don't break them apart... Hermetic glass reed encapsulation, inside potting compound, inside a metal can.

P.S. I don't mind singing their praises here, I've got my own stock.  :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:29:41 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

• Supporter
bump

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf