Author Topic: SOLD [FS DE/EU] Rigol DS1104Z DEFECTIVE mainboard  (Read 1818 times)

Offline DC1MCTopic starter

• Super Contributor
SOLD [FS DE/EU] Rigol DS1104Z DEFECTIVE mainboard
« on: March 14, 2018, 05:08:40 pm »
OK, so it seems that the RIGOL schematic capture project is dead or nobody is interested in the given conditions, so anybody can send an offer where ever he wants, PM or here in the thread, starting at 10EUR (shipping separately).
If by Saturday morning nobody wants it, will be used for spare BNC connectors.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Hello everybody, some while ago I've bought a DEFECTIVE motherboard for the RIGOL DS1104Z scope, the defect was described by the seller that the board was reseting randomly and was replaced by Rigol that didn't want the defective one back.
At the time I didn't have the means to test it, but recently I've got a MSO1074Z-S, intended for spare parts that I've managed to repair and I will keep it, so the DS1104Z motherboard is now for donation or sale.

- Sale:
The starting price is 10EUR plus shipping (in Germany, 4,99EUR), I prefer the following destination: DE, EU and World, in this order, please send offers with your price, open until Saturday 17 09:00 CET.

- Donation:
In my search for my current scope information and firmware I have found some threads  where different people were soliciting mainboards for this scope for for schematic reverse engineering (unsoldering of the FPGA/MCU) and eventually as starting point for a new open source firmware. As I consider this a worthy cause, I have this board for donation as well, with the following strings attached (please READ CAREFULLY):
In your offer specify DONATION, the conditions are the same like for sale, EXCEPT I will reimburse the 100% of the board price and up to 10EUR of the shipping costs if you come with a working schematic in less than 100 days, made by YOU (progress needs to be documented in a thread here in Projects..).

If you're the author of a previous request for a board, your price is counted double (please give link to the thread), to give you an advantage and for me to be convinced that is not a "just for lolz" idea.
This above complications were thought in case some one decides to repair and resale the board given as a donation (current price around 350EUR), or gets bored and abandons the project. In any of this situations, you keep the board and I keep the money, I think is fair enough. Any questions and of course offers, please PM me. A pair of pictures are attached.

To keep it in sync with the German law: this is a private sale of a DEFECTIVE device, there is no guarantee that is repairable or fit for your purpose. No returns and responsibility accepted, only make offer if you fully understood this conditions.

Cheers,
 DC1MC
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:55:03 pm by DC1MC »

The following users thanked this post: agehall

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
Re: [FS DE/EU] Rigol DS1104Z DEFECTIVE mainboard
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 06:58:04 pm »
I'll offer 40EUR + Shipping. My efforts of building a replacement firmware have somewhat shifted to a more promising device (and a lot of laziness was involved as well), but maybe I'll go back to the Rigol one day eventually.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 07:08:05 pm »
I'll offer 40EUR + Shipping. My efforts of building a replacement firmware have somewhat shifted to a more promising device (and a lot of laziness was involved as well), but maybe I'll go back to the Rigol one day eventually.
Offer dully recorded, please wait  2 min to finish the post about a more detailed description of the testing and defect and then please come back with your final decision.

Thanks,
 DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 07:38:31 pm »
OK, to not just be an useless "bump post" to make aware the people that the conditions have changed, here is a short summary of the tests that I've made with the board while having the other scope open, to help you decide if it's worth having:

- Connecting the board to the display, front panel and LCD, the scope starts, and during the boot, before the logo shows up but after some lights change on the front panel, the scope reboots immediately, as the ventilator is reacting as well, it seem that during some power supply activation there is a block with excessive consumption that puts the PS in protection mode and causes the reset. Visually and hand inspection does not show any smoked parts or heat sources. Some one who has a bit of time may look further into it, the issue is 100% repeatable, not some random occurrence.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:43:39 pm »

If after reading the test description you still want it, please confirm.

Best regards,
 DC1Mc

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 07:44:42 am »
Yes. "The more broken the better" (don't take that literal please :)) so that I don't feel bad about ripping apart a functioning scope.

So if someone else wants to buy this to fix it, please give that person priority (assuming a matching offer of course), otherwise I'm glad to buy it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 08:51:42 am »
Yes. "The more broken the better" (don't take that literal please :)) so that I don't feel bad about ripping apart a functioning scope.

So if someone else wants to buy this to fix it, please give that person priority (assuming a matching offer of course), otherwise I'm glad to buy it.

No, my priority is that me and the community have a schematic, a understanding of this stuff works for real and what Chinese surprises are to be discovered  >:D and of course, the big goal, a path to an fully open sourced firmware. That was my clear stated goal in the first message.
So far, you're the only one that expressed interest in this and another in buying it, but shipping it there is expensive and problematic.
So let's not overdoit, PM me with your address for shipping costs calculation, the board is now RESERVED for you until payment clears, then it becomes SOLD.

Cheers,
   DC1MC

• Super Contributor
Re: SOLD [FS DE/EU] Rigol DS1104Z DEFECTIVE mainboard
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 07:57:07 pm »
The board is sold for a good cause, I wish the buyer success in this important effort.
Many thanks to the others who send offers.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: bitwelder

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 06:57:39 am »
Thanks for giving your board for a good cause (and reverse engineering is ALYAWS a good cause) and best of luck to the buyer!
 :-+

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:41 pm »
Received it - thank you!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 10:00:55 pm »
Cool  8), now I'm waiting for some cool results, good luck !!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf