Author Topic: [FS UK] Microplate Reader Science Hardware *FREE - Collect Only*  (Read 1176 times)

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
I recently dismantled a small microplate reader and rather than just scrapping the science element of it i thought i'd offer it here in case someone could re-purpose or reuse it as it's a self-contained unit and is functional.

There is a motorised tray which loads the microplate into the system, a halogen light source passes through a selection of filters. The light then passes to the underside of the microplate through optical fibers, the light from a microplate is then collected by a series of photodiodes in an array. The control board, LCD screen and keyboard control the operation. It connects to a PC through RS232 where a small DOS app controls it entirely through serial commands. I will include the original software on 3.5" floppy disk.

looking for £25 including shipping in the UK or you can collect it from south Manchester for £20
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:02:59 am by dexters_lab »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: [FS UK] Microplate Reader Science Hardware
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 10:27:00 am »
With a bit of effort that's the beginnings of a nice X-Y table I think.

No, I don't want it, far too much on my plate right now but a very nice piece of tech.

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
Re: [FS UK] Microplate Reader Science Hardware
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 07:02:29 am »
CBA has set in on this one so it's free to anyone who can pickup South Manchester UK

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: [FS UK] Microplate Reader Science Hardware *FREE - Collect Only*
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 04:59:54 pm »
A couple of comments

• The insides should be soaked with 70% Isopropanol before touching with ungloved hands. These are often used in biological labs and the insides are seldom sanitized.
  • Those filters are going to be very high quality microscopy grade filters, useful for fluorescence detection or absorption detection.
  • The photodiodes are going to be very solid quality as reproducibility is going to be critical for this instrument.
  • Depending on the model, that XY stage could have EXTREMELY high accuracy and repeatability. They are designed to read and move to the exact same spot every single time at the expense of range.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Tsou

• Contributor
Re: [FS UK] Microplate Reader Science Hardware *FREE - Collect Only*
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:04:10 pm »
Hi,

As a biomedical student interested in electronics (and currently working on such devices ... well, greatly simplified) that would be a great project to learn more!  :)
Unfortunately I'm from Belgium... If it is possible to ship it, I'd be interested.

Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf