Author Topic: [LFS] buying genuine PICKit 3  (Read 6158 times)

Offline VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
[LFS] buying genuine PICKit 3
« on: November 10, 2014, 01:46:43 pm »
Hi, I am from Jordan. I'd like to buy a genuine PICKit 3 but only one company offer it in my country (and even those I was the one to tell them to provide it :palm:). this is the link  here

However, they told me that they bought them from Hong Kong and they are not sure that it is 100% genuine but "it is completely like the genuine one and no one complained about it"...

Thus, I wanted to buy it from Microchip directly... and found no official distributor to Jordan, except Mouser which forces a 75$ shipping method (fedex or ups), it is more expensive than the product itself!

Buying it from ebay/aliexpress? how can i be sure it is 100% genuine?! all say it is, but I see many people complain that it is not!

If you have any good advice for me, please don't hesitate xD

thanks in advance!

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
Re: [LFS] buying genuine PICKit 3
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:02:52 pm »
I have a box of them, all genuine (from Farnell), new and unused in retail packaging.

£20 each plus £10 shipping to Jordan.

ALL SOLD
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:32:09 pm by TopLoser »

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 04:00:23 pm »
I have a box of them, all genuine (from Farnell), new and unused in retail packaging.

£20 each plus £10 shipping to Jordan.

thanks for your quick reply. But 20 pounds are too cheap right? the product directly from Microchip is about 46$... there are clones (the same exact look and packaging) at Aliexpress that are about 17$ or so... this is why I want to make sure.

Farnell (here: http://export.farnell.com/microchip/pg164130/debugger-pickit-3-usb-programmer/dp/1771323) have it about 30.75 british pounds... how can it be 20 from you if you bought them from farnell if i may ask? shipping rate is perfect though.

It is also important that they from a new batch or so to avoid earlier problems.

give me a link to your online store to check it out. I can pay via paypal or my pre-paid debit visa card only... a bank transfer maybe possible but i heard it takes more fees than paypal and still takes time.

shipping it here is another story to discuss ^_^.

Offline Ryano

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 05:21:07 pm »

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 05:23:26 pm »
It's a genuine product, bought from Farnell and with Farnell warehouse labels on. What I paid for them and what I sell them for is my business.

I've sold plenty on this forum already. I've no idea how old they are, I've had them for 6 months.

No online store, I pile stuff high and sell it cheap. PayPal ian@toploser.com

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 07:47:42 pm »
If you are having any doubts about toploser.....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/11-reasons-to-buy-from-toploser/

I didn't have doubts about him personally. But as you know, people be more cautious when dealing online, especially if it is their first time xD.

Toploser

what i said about the price is just being surprised because of the difference between the price of the product from official distributor (usually cheapest one) and your price... and that of the clone ones. nothing more.

20+10= 30 pounds seems nice. I will not object about it, and if it is 5$ I will say yes xD...

OK, I will buy it from you, maybe tomorrow, maybe next month... depending on my money and other stuff. I will PM you once I decide.

My payment methods available: A pre-paid debit card (they call it "transfer"), and a paypal account that uses it. If not, I can send you a bank payment if it is simple and guaranteed.

paypal takes a lot of fees, 30 GBP = ~47.5$ ~~ 48$ and this is what I will send to you via paypal (cuz sending it with GBP takes more fees i guess).

now, I don't know what fees do I have to pay if i send a paypal payment to another paypal account (yours).... my friend once sent me some money and it costed him 8$.

I opened "send payment" and found this written:

Code: [Select]
Sending money for purchases is free for you. The seller pays the fees.
Purchasing goods? Your eligible transactions are covered with Buyer Protection.

does it mean that I don't pay fees for sending you money? my friend payed though to send to me. It also means that you will pay paypal some of that 48$ which will not be good for you really...

what do you suggest for payment? I am open about it.

now comes shipping, i.e, a bad nightmare in Jordan because of customs and stuff! we don't have defined addresses so all packages will go to Irbid's main post office department... I will ask them about what should I post as "billing address" or "shipping address" tomorrow if i could. BTW how much time does it take to arrive? I don't have certain requirement anyway.

if it costs 48$, I prefer that you post a fake price tag or bill... say 31$ or something... this is to avoid customs as much as possible, because these guys are too annoying and cause a lot of problem for something too silly that makes them gain a lot of money for nothing. nearly all people do that.

sorry for the long story, I will see what will they tell me tomorrow and if this goes well, i might ask you to sell me some stuff like a genuine Hakko fx-888d silver (have to be silver only xD), you guys have this available in Britain.

thanks

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 01:06:56 pm »
Toploser... I PM you.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 03:36:16 pm »
Hi, the PICKit 3 is delivered! it took around 10 days to arrive from Britain to Jordan! very nice.

I posted some low quality pics of it... one thing I noticed that was weird for me. It is that the internal board have "Made in China" written at it. Also, the part number is PG164130 CN, not NL like Digikey or Mouser... so I guess it refers to China. Now, is that really genuine?

I read a rumor saying that even Microchip manufactures it's PICKit 3 in China... is that correct? << I've seen the same sticker here: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9973 that is the same as mine. So I guess mine is genuine... correct?

I didn't try it yet, just plugged it in to see the LEDs and they are very bright.

Thanks Toploser, I totally recommend buying from you. If I need some components sourcing from Digikey, I will contact you without hesitation.

Thanks everyone!

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 03:38:51 pm »
 :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 09:21:12 pm »
Looks like the packaging from the one I bought from sparkfun

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 10:18:30 pm »
@neslekkim

yes it looks the same, is yours genuine or not?

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 10:19:08 pm »
Of course :)

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 11:31:59 pm »
My most demanding and least profitable sale ever on EEV. Almost makes me want to go back to selling on eBay!!!

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 11:45:56 pm »
My most demanding and least profitable sale ever on EEV. Almost makes me want to go back to selling on eBay!!!

is that have to do with me? maybe you got me wrong, I am totally pleased from the sale. almost everything is better than i expected... i didn't even pay customs for it thanks to the way you shipped it.

don't get confused by the previous post of me... i was expressing my feeling after the very first online purchase  :-DD

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 06:45:45 am »
Pickit is probably  the cheapest genuine debugger on the market with value for money being extremly high (being applicable only to PICs which are mostly total shit is another matter) I would be surprised if it hadn't been manufactured in china (or similar place).
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 05:29:49 pm »
Pickit is probably  the cheapest genuine debugger on the market with value for money being extremly high (being applicable only to PICs which are mostly total shit is another matter) I would be surprised if it hadn't been manufactured in china (or similar place).

YES, that was my thought too, I only wrote that post to verify it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf