Author Topic: (Perhaps) Free eval boards/Arduino shields/sensor boards etc. from Maxim  (Read 25267 times)

Offline Damianos

• Frequent Contributor
Got an E-Mail that they wish that I had great success using my eval board, which didn't arrive at all (neither did I get a shipping notification...) yet. Answered to that automated mail and got a copie of a forwarded message where someone asked someone other to "inform the customer".  :-//
I replied also to this "hoping" e-mail, they responded with apologies for the delay and after a week the package arrived without any further notice.
Total time less than six weeks, not bad, if I remember well they stated about six to eight weeks.
I think that if the first automated message is sent (that verifies the request), it just needs patience.

Offline zii

• Contributor
Hi all.

I filled the form on 20th of December and forgot about it. :P

And just today DHL delivered them to me. Seems like a pretty long time to arrive, but who cares when it's for free.

Everything was neatly packaged and all, pretty nice notebook they sent.
Coincidently just a few days ago I was thinking that I need to make some alligator clip wires for myself, so those were a really nice surprise.

The tiny thing in the center is MAXREFDES117 (Heart-Rate and Pulse-Oximetry Monitor).

Cheers,
Zigmars

Offline amitchell

• Regular Contributor
I think this is the source of my suspicious DHL text message.

My smart force sensor should be here tomorrow, it looks like it will make a nice small sized scale.  :-+

Offline sainter

• Regular Contributor
Smart force sensor would be a good tool for RC plain builders, because I shows the center of mass. But this system can be scaled UP to manage balancing the load for a semi-truck or a real plane.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
It turns out that I liked the delay  :-DD   I had forgotten and this morning FedEx handed me a package that I was not expecting so it was like a Christmas present  :-+

After months they sent it Priority Overnight (that is very very expensive)

I will send them a thank you and suggestion to use regular methods of sending.  Will open later because my dog is giving me a dirty look - he wants his breakfast.

Edit: I got the 24 bit ADC board.  How much would something like this cost?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:44:04 pm by ez24 »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: MadTux

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Edit: I got the 24 bit ADC board.  How much would something like this cost?

$54.98 at DigiKey
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
I got the "We hope you're making productive use ..." email too.  I just smiled and said to myself "Maybe, if and when it gets here" and I left it, without reading any more.

I received another email today about some events - and I looked back at the previous email when I noticed the invitation to get a free sample of the MAX11410.  After I checked out the datasheet for it, I thought I just might take them up on that.

Went to the website ... I had to register.  OK.  Did that using the same email address I used for the startup pack.  Tried for the free sample but was rejected because the email address wasn't "business" or "educational" enough for them.  While understandable, it is annoying.  I can sort out a solution to this speed hump if I am so inclined - but it's just another one of those things that I couldn't be bothered doing at the moment.

However, it makes me wonder if my original startup pack request is actually going to be fulfilled.

Think I'll do what ez24 did ... forget about it - and if it does turn up, it will be a lovely surprise.

Offline jasonbrent

• Regular Contributor
When you register on their website, it says they exclude "public" emails like google/yahoo/etc. from this.

A few days ago I searched through my email and found a "thank you for signing up for the kit...", then a "we hope you are making a productive use" about a month later, and that same invitation email for the max11410. I registered and filled that out this past Monday.... as of now, Fedex shows a delivery this coming Monday from Maxim.

I don't know if it'll be the original kit or just the max11410... I tried putting the kit part number at the same link as that invitation email but it said no stock/not available.

If it's just the 11410 by itself monday, I'm hoping there's contact information and I'll remind them I never got the original kit and see what happens.

-j

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
When you register on their website, it says they exclude "public" emails like google/yahoo/etc. from this.

Where?

I don't remember seeing this - and I've just gone through their 4 T&C documents for customers.

Offline jasonbrent

• Regular Contributor

Where?

I don't remember seeing this - and I've just gone through their 4 T&C documents for customers.
I can look in a bit, but I seem to remember it was some text near the email address field when I registered.

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.

FYI  I only have a Yahoo account that I used and I got a ADC kit with a lot of goodies  :-+

Edit:  My company name is : "Self"

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:51:06 pm by ez24 »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline jasonbrent

• Regular Contributor
The text in this screenshot near "Free Sample Search".... I never received the first eval kit, never received a response to the gmail registration I originally tried.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
In my travels, I never encountered that particular page.  I went straight to the search result page that follows it.

You would think it would be commented as such during the registration process - but it's not.  Flaming well should be.

Offline jasonbrent

• Regular Contributor
Agreed.. it's definitely non-obvious. It took me more than a couple of minutes to find it again and screenshot. I think I only found that page because I tried to go back and order the sample for the whole kit I never received.... =)

-j

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
I used a friends "company" email but it seems i was not lucky.
Its couple of months if not more since i applied and no response.....

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
Well, I have to admit that I am impressed now. one day after they told me that they shipped the saple from the philipines (mail received around 17 in the evening) it arrived around 10 in the morning the next day! wow, that was fast! And as you allready know, well packed and with lots of goodies. That made me a happy customer and I will potentially use some products in future designs.
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
My pizza box from Maxim arrived yesterday.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
LOL, it is kind of a pizza box isn't it? Didn't occur to me 'til you mentioned it.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Still waiting on my medium Supreme with extra cheese.

Offline jasonbrent

• Regular Contributor
A teeny tiny IC (MAX11410ATI) arrived this am with nothing else, including contact information. I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to contact them for the rest of the kit... this is impossibly small otherwise. :)

-j

Offline jasonbrent

• Regular Contributor
This gets better...

"samples-admin@maximintegrated.com" just responded to let me know that they don't sample EVkits, only sell them....

I've now forwarded them the list of emails they sent me acknowledging the "free" EVkit that never came.

I think marketing and "samples" are confused @ Maxim.

-j

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
I think you'll find that the products on offer under the "Startup Pack" heading (which I see as a specific marketing campaign) will have come from a different avenue to the "Free sample" system, which is a normal part of the business.

The comment you cited sounds exactly what I would expect from one of the "Free sample" people.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
I think you'll find that the products on offer under the "Startup Pack" heading (which I see as a specific marketing campaign) will have come from a different avenue to the "Free sample" system, which is a normal part of the business.

The comment you cited sounds exactly what I would expect from one of the "Free sample" people.

Free samples if you got a site rep that ventures over once and awhile :D 

I registered for the 24bit toy as well

Offline Neuromodulator

• Regular Contributor
Maybe we could start a project to create a DAQ with the 24 bit ADC? Would there be interest in such project?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
I know I would be interested - mainly because I've not delved into ADC circuitry much, let alone with a 24 bit chip and I would be setting myself up for every rookie mistake possible.

Selecting the ADC eval board probably wasn't the smartest choice - but there is something seductive about having 24 bit resolution on the bench that you can play with.  I just hope it doesn't lead into voltnuttery.

That is ... if it turns up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf