Author Topic: Assistance ordering from CPC  (Read 3992 times)

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Assistance ordering from CPC
« on: August 21, 2018, 04:53:57 pm »
CPC (Farnell) no longer accepts international payment cards and even if you have a UK registered card but your shipping and invoice addresses do not match, you order will be canceled. I have never experienced such issues before, but that is the second UK shop that does no longer allow to place orders with non UK registered card. Is it related to Brexit?

Anyway, I am looking for someone who could order a few parts from CPC and then send them over to me. Total order amount is only £10. I will pay for your expenses. You have to have a UK registered payment card and your shipping and invoice addresses must match. Please let me know your "terms and conditions" by sending me a personal message. Thank you.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Assistance ordering from CPC
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 04:57:35 pm »
Might be an idea to say where these would be shipped to :)

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 05:23:22 pm »
To UK.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 06:16:04 pm »
I can order for you from CPC

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 08:18:49 pm »
Phone up CPC and talk to them. They are usually a victim of their IT rather than actively declining it I understand.

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 09:01:12 pm »
bd139, that's what I was hopping to be the case. Unfortunately, after speaking with Sales department and Accounting department representatives I understood there is really no chance. I can place an order, payment will get authorized, but then they will manually cancel it. Go figure  |O.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 09:02:20 pm »
That sucks. I'd use someone else out of spite.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 09:51:33 pm »
even if you have a UK registered card but your shipping and invoice addresses do not match, you order will be canceled.
Have you tried altering invoice address to match shipping address? IME payments with my cards have gone through even if invoice address did not match with registered in the bank.

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 10:38:05 pm »
Have you tried altering invoice address to match shipping address?
That is what I do all the time and I have never experienced any issues before. I have not tried paying with UK registered card as I was assured they will cancel my order yet again. They did even go one step further and researched my provided shipping address and wrote me that they will not "deliver to freight forwarders or storage companies".

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 11:59:52 pm »
I wonder what their issue is? They get their money and dispatch the goods, what difference does it make what happens to the order after that?

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 12:10:49 am »
Perhaps money-laundering.

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 12:26:17 am »
I wonder what their issue is? They get their money and dispatch the goods, what difference does it make what happens to the order after that?
Maybe those good are only for British :palm:.

Reference comes from here.

As you can see they do not allow to enter non UK registered cards in their system:

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 04:00:19 am »
researched my provided shipping address and wrote me that they will not "deliver to freight forwarders or storage companies"

Is it a freight forwarding address? If so it no doubt falls foul of their Terms of Supply:

22. Export
Separate Conditions of Supply apply to export transactions and are available on request from the Company's export department. The Customer is responsible at its own expense for obtaining any licence and complying with any export regulations in force within the United Kingdom and in the country for which the Goods are destined.  ...

In which case you need to either supply a UK address which isn't obviously going to export the stuff, or obtain the necessary export license(s).

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 06:22:34 pm »
Use farnell, they own CPC and are a worldwide company.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 06:33:38 pm »

if it turn out the CC was stolen and the goods delivered to place where it can be picked it up anonymously they won't
get their money

and some things are restricted in what countries they can be sold to

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 06:12:46 am »
CPC (Farnell) no longer accepts international payment cards and even if you have a UK registered card but your shipping and invoice addresses do not match, you order will be canceled. I have never experienced such issues before, but that is the second UK shop that does no longer allow to place orders with non UK registered card. Is it related to Brexit?

Anyway, I am looking for someone who could order a few parts from CPC and then send them over to me. Total order amount is only £10. I will pay for your expenses. You have to have a UK registered payment card and your shipping and invoice addresses must match. Please let me know your "terms and conditions" by sending me a personal message. Thank you.

I doubt it is brexit. It is probably more about the hassle factor. what parts do you want?

Offline Cloud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 12:38:59 pm »
Have you tried ordering from export.farnell.com?

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 11:38:43 pm »
dunkemhigh, are you serious? If someone would really be involved in money laundering, he/she would definitely not be placing £10 orders on CPC. He/she would be buying precious metals or other items with high liquidity and would be spending thousands of pounds. From when do I need to get an export license for goods that will be used within Europe?

Simon, almost everything in Farnell cost more than in CPC, some products are almost 5 times more expensive. MOQ are smaller for the same goods in CPC. Some products were (maybe still are, have not checked recently) exclusively sold only in CPC.

langwadt, there are much more clever and safer ways to cash out stolen CC than buying electronics at CPC. Why did you straight away considered there could be some criminal activities involved? What about the presumption of innocence?

Cloud, I do not need to order from export.farnell.com. I can order directly from uk.farnell.com or go to the local distributor. In both cases I will have to pay a huge premium when small orders are placed.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 12:14:56 am »
dunkemhigh, are you serious?

In the sense that it wouldn't be surprising, yes. The detection of possible laundering is no doubt rule based, and if the spec didn't give a lower "don't bother" limit then the method will be flagged regardless of value. Note that I wasn't saying that this transaction failed because of that, only that it's a possibility to consider.

From when do I need to get an export license for goods that will be used within Europe?

In about 6 months. Maybe they are in the late testing stage :)

Since when are we supposed to be psychic? You seemed quite keen not to let on where the ultimate destination is. In fact, I don't think you've told us yet - in response to my direct question you just said "UK".

I am now wondering if you are playing games with us. Despite having done what you are asking for with other EEVBlog users, I would be hesitant to touch this one, now.

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 02:13:52 am »
Since when are we supposed to be psychic? You seemed quite keen not to let on where the ultimate destination is. In fact, I don't think you've told us yet - in response to my direct question you just said "UK".

I am now wondering if you are playing games with us. Despite having done what you are asking for with other EEVBlog users, I would be hesitant to touch this one, now.
You have asked where items will need to be shipped to and I have answered your question. I have said the truth.
It looks like you are over suspicious. At the end of the day we are talking about £10 order.

Anyway, one member has already agreed to help me out and placed an order. Thank you everyone for suggestions, opinions and discussion.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 11:52:31 am »
langwadt, there are much more clever and safer ways to cash out stolen CC than buying electronics at CPC. Why did you straight away considered there could be some criminal activities involved? What about the presumption of innocence?

I did not assume anything, it was just a mention that they might have security policies in place (possibly dictated by the CC companies) to prevent losses   

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 12:15:57 pm »
You have asked where items will need to be shipped to and I have answered your question. I have said the truth.

Just to clarify, I said all that in response to this:

From when do I need to get an export license for goods that will be used within Europe?

Until that point, we had no idea where the ultimate destination was, and I hadn't even though of being suspicious. I mentioned export since that seemed to be a reasonably reason for your issue.

It looks like you are over suspicious.

To be blunt, you brought that on yourself. Had you said at the start that it was to ship to Europe ultimately, I wouldn't have thought of export as a potential issue, and someone may have come up with a more appropriate reason and/or workaround. And I wouldn''t be thinking "WTF?! Why is he trying to make me look daft instead of helpful?"

Offline amiq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 01:44:49 am »
As the fellow who agreed to purchase items from CPC for kcs, I'm rather surprised that he refused to tell me his actual address (other that a UK forwarding address) yet expected me to provide him with my bank details (having declined to pay via paypal).  Needless to say his parcel is being returned to CPC.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 01:50:12 am »
Really?

For someone wanting to go through all the hassle, I would have thought using PayPal would have been the least objectionable part.  There is a disagreeable aroma with this.

I'd have sent it back as well.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 05:24:32 am »
That puts up numerous red flags. Nobody in their right mind would agree to a deal like this without having someone's actual physical address. I would be highly suspicious of anyone who refused to use Paypal too, it's by far the most convenient way to send money.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf