Author Topic: AV400v2 - Another 400W Hi-Fi audio amplifier with remarkable sound  (Read 7250 times)

Offline donpetruTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
    • PORTALUL TEHNIUM AZI
First, AV400v2 is much improved amplifier compared to the old AV400 amp. So, AV400v2 is a personal version of the amplifier AV400 or, in other words, how should it look old AV400. If I've sparked your curiosity even a little, then I invite you in this topic to buy even a piece of PCB AV400v2 which includes documentation of the amplifier assembly (including circuit diagram). Documentation amplifier is printed on paper (black and white).

AV400v2 is a (400W - 4 Ohm) compact audio amplifier, Hi-Fi, with good performance, which we subjected to various tests, as you'll see in the videos below. In the two videos below (excuse me, I haven't made ??a subtitle, but the images are quite suggestive), I tried to highlight what this amp is capable.  Unfortunately, Xvid video quality is not the best, maybe even the sound (which is compressed to 192kb/s), but important things you can see see and hear.

AV400v2 is presented in two versions: AV400v2.1 and AV400v2.2 (using the same PCB). AV400v2.1 is MOSFET output transistor and AV400v2.2 is BJT output transistors.

1. TEST AV400v2 - BJT version:

2. TEST AV400v2 - MOSFET version:

In recent years, I have performed various tests, especially with MOS-FET pair IRFP240 and IRFP9240 and, one thing revealed in many technical audio books, indeed, an audio amplifier with MOS-FETs sounds best if he sandwiched one driver pair transistors between VAS amp stage and output stage.
I even made ??a comparison in this respect. In fact, both AV400v2 amplifier, and GX400 have passed in recent years by some tests - including tests of various topologies (example: Output Triple amplifier...) - and after this I got the version presented.

AV400v2 PROJECT or AV400v2 Documentation contains 10 pages with these "chapters":

1. AV400v2 - Cover
2. AV400v2 - Electrical diagram v2.1 and 2.2
3. AV400v2 - List of electronic components (BOM)
4. AV400v2 - Indications for operation amplifier
5. AV400v2 - All Layers PCB
6. AV400 v2 - PCB Copper Top
7. AV400 v2 - PCB Copper Bottom
8. AV400 v2 - Drill Info

DOCUMENTATION (printed black and white) is valid in English.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCBs prices are as follows (PCB size = 216 x 79 mm):

1 pcs. PCB AV400v2 = 19 USD (includes printed above project to help in assembling the amplifier).

2 pcs. PCB AV400v2 = 36 USD (two pieces include with printed project mentioned above, to assemble the amplifier)

Who buys more than two pieces, the price is 17 USD/pcs. PCB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have available built units in two forms (without the heatsink):

a) fully assembled at the price of 85 USD / piece (see pictures below - in this moment only one piece available with MOS-FET).

b) semi-assembly built units - price of 82 USD / piece (I currently only available 4 pieces but depending on demand, I can assemble some extra).
WARNING!semi-assembly built units isn't soldered output transistors, drivers and bias transistor. So, these components will come separately along PCB. After that, depending on how the PCB clamping the heat sink, you have glue them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment can be made via pay-pal at:

tehnium[dot]azi@gmail[dot]com

For more details please contact me via private messaging eevblog.com/forum or via email: donpetru@gmail[dot]com

AV400v2 amplifier needs 1.2Vrms on the input in order to deliver nominal power. Supply voltages are +/-(40 ... 80)Vdc.

• Contributor
  • !
    • PORTALUL TEHNIUM AZI
Re: AV400v2 - Another 400W Hi-Fi audio amplifier with remarkable sound
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:05:43 pm »
AV400v2 Basic technical specification:

Typical class of amplifier operation: AB;
Supply voltage: +/-40Vdc...+/-80Vdc.
Power Output = 400 W - 4 Ohm; ~200W - 8 Ohm
THD % = <0.1% / 400W.
Input Impedance = ~ 22K;
Input sensitivity to achieve maximum power output: 1.2Vrms/22Kohm.
Slew Rate => 20V/us (theory behind simulation = at least 35V/us).
Audio Amplifier efficiency: ~73%.
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: better than 100dB.

Offline eetechTom

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:42:08 pm »
What are the minimum power supply current specs?

• Contributor
  • !
    • PORTALUL TEHNIUM AZI
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 12:54:58 pm »
What are the minimum power supply current specs?
Sorry for the answer given so later, the answer was in one of the youtube clips posted above. I wrote on the screen the power transformer secondary and the secondary winding voltages (with and without 4 ohm load).

2 pcs. PCB AV400v2 = 25 USD (first 4 chapters of the documentation free included - including schematic)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:59:50 pm by donpetru »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 03:20:52 pm »
What sounds does the amplifier make? I'd have thought that the sounds were made by loudspeakers, and that their imperfections would completely dominate any quarter-way decent amplifier's imperfections.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 04:09:35 pm »
BJT for me all day long!  :-+ I run a naim system which is BJT as are all naim's products, never really got on with mosfet personally.

Love your project  :-+

• Contributor
  • !
    • PORTALUL TEHNIUM AZI
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 04:43:40 pm »
2 pcs. PCB AV400v2 = only 25 USD with documentation included (chapters 1 to 4 included).

!!!!!!!!!!!! Ship cost is about $10 for users from the European Union. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have available built units in two version (without the main heatsink):

a) fully assembled at the price of 78 USD / piece (in this moment I have only one piece available with MOS-FET).

b) semi-assembly built units - price of 75 USD / piece (I currently only available 4 pieces but depending on demand, I can assemble some extra).
WARNING! semi-assembly built units isn't soldered output transistors, drivers and bias transistor. So, these components will come separately along PCB. After that, depending on how the PCB clamping the heat sink, you have glue them.

• Contributor
  • !
    • PORTALUL TEHNIUM AZI
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 02:15:26 pm »
Only 12 pcs. PCB AV400v2 available.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 02:17:26 pm by donpetru »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf