Author Topic: Deal alert! uni-t UT210E US $17.27 on ebay!  (Read 38528 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Deal alert! uni-t UT210E US $17.27 on ebay!
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2017, 08:06:43 pm »
Note that I wasn't talking about poor people. I was talking about washed up people in desperate need of money. The former is a group which doesn't possess a lot, but which tends to get through life on a small budget. The latter includes people who are often consistently irresponsible when it comes to money and many other things in life, sometimes in part due to mental issues, limitations or disabilities. Repeat scammers often are people on the fringes of society, not properly functioning, not rarely without a good grasp of the consequences of their actions.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2017, 09:12:45 pm »
@Mr.Scram,

I am very sorry, I edited out that part of my post before I realized you had responded to it.

-See my edited post for what the gist of it is.. I think that in China, just as here (with investment banks) vendors may sell "money making programs" to people which do what they do because it works.

In other words, this is likely caused by a bot.

I'm speculating that for social reasons, countries may turn a blind eye to certain kinds of unethical behavior that traps others due to their interests not being deemed important in that context.

Ebay's software may not be able to fix this on the Chinese side, it needs to be able to take input from groups of people like us, on the buying side..

We may have a case of software talking to other software..

---

I deleted a much more lengthy post before I realized Mr. Scram had responded to it.

Recently Ive had it pointed out to me that sometimes I get too far off topic.

I had a bunch of thoughts on research Ive read involving when people were (and when they are not) more or less likely to engage in unethical behavior..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:38:27 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2017, 09:14:39 pm »
I just ordered one. The seller seems to have pretty good feedback. This is the model with 1mA dc resolution.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-T-UT210E-Digital-Clamp-Meter-Multimeter-Handheld-RMS-AC-DC-Mini-Resistanc/182755239224?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I think the OP should change the title of this topic.  If the OP does not change the title, I will report this to a moderator.  Because I think some will just read the first message and order one without reading hundreds of replys.

Here is my tracking and once it is "delivered" (to Tenn)  I will request a refund and make a complaint with a mod to remove this post so no more suckers.

FYI I live in Calif. not TN
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carrier:
China Post

In Transit to Destination

2017-10-08, 09:58:00, On its way to KODAK, TN 37764

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

2017-10-07, 16:58:00, MIAMI FL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Departed USPS Regional Facility

Processed Through Facility

2017-10-07, 13:27:00, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

2017-09-29, 16:12:00, YIWU D EMS

Acceptance

2017-09-28, 19:59:00
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:18:19 pm by ez24 »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2017, 09:44:37 pm »
ez24,

I think that once its in the US, you may be able to check out its end recipient.. In my case, the package that I thought was being sent to me ended up in the midwest, so right there that should have clued me that something was wrong because they usually go to new york. I should have called USPS right away but instead I waited until it had been delivered to the wrong state..

Here they sent many people a letter admitting it was going to the wrong address.  Armed with that you might be able to get them to send it to "the right address" .

We all have a strong interest in ending this kind of scam.. We should cooperate to the maximum extent possible.

It might be interesting to try to compel the seller to remove the ambiguity.. Currently, one tracking number likely is being given to multiple recipients..

You could call USPS and give them the tracking number and ask them "is that package going to <my town>  They can answer that question, I think. If they tell you yes, then good, but if not, then you get a several day improvement in the time when you (we) have proof its a scam.

Carrier:
China Post

In Transit to Destination

2017-10-08, 09:58:00, On its way to KODAK, TN 37764

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

Departed USPS Regional Facility

2017-10-07, 13:27:00, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

2017-09-29, 16:12:00, YIWU D EMS

Acceptance

2017-09-28, 19:59:00
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:49:33 pm by cdev »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2017, 10:14:57 pm »
Currently, one tracking number likely is being given to multiple recipients..

You could call USPS and give them the tracking number and ask them "is that package going to <my town>  They can answer that question, I think. If they tell you yes, then good, but if not, then you get a several day improvement in the time when you (we) have proof its a scam.

Maybe you ought check the theory about the same tracking number giving your tracking numbers, if that is the case then maybe Ebay will be forced to act on it?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2017, 10:25:45 pm »
It is definitely a scam.  Seller does not reply to messages anymore.  Please change the subject ASAP.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2017, 10:26:38 pm »
Ebay fail to act even when the case is very clear. A few years ago I saw pictures of my own astro telescope for sale - including links and description provided via my own website which the seller had cloned onto a Yahoo site. He was attempting to 'sell' my telescope for several thousand pounds. I complained to Ebay and they would do nothing, so I bid £1,000,000 to ensure no-one else would be stung by the scam. I emailed Ebay to tell them what I'd done and suggested if they want their cut of the money for the purchase 'deal' I would see them in court. They eventually took the advert down. Since then I have have given up any illusions that Ebay may be watching out for your best interests. Out of interst, Yahoo would not remove the cloned version of my website either - even after complaint and snail-mail signed statement.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2017, 10:39:20 pm »
I just posted a new thread in General Chat about this -

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/that-obscure-ut210e-of-desire-could-we-figure-out-how-an-ebay-scam-works

framing it as a scam and not a deal, and throwing out that the seller is likely following some kind of formula and likely its exploiting some fixable ambiguity.. which could be easy to fix..

(whose package is it?)

Ebay should throw up a big red flag if the same tracking number is given to two separate people.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:40:59 pm by cdev »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2017, 11:21:42 pm »
Ebay should throw up a big red flag if the same tracking number is given to two separate people.

FYI my number is

Tracking #:
LW882863024CN

Maybe some member will get a thong.  I once did.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2017, 01:19:02 am »
I submitted fraud reports on both of the remaining too-good-to-be-true listings (the original $17 one and the $18 one mentioned in the previous page. Let's see if they get pulled.

If you want to as well, click on the "Report item" link (upper-right corner above the description on the web site). In the form that appears, select the following from the three drop down lists:
  • Report Category: Listing practices
  • Reason for Report: Fraudulent listing activities
  • Detailed Reason: You think a listing is fraudulent

eBay will check it out and, if they agree, take it down. I've done the same for those scammers who post thousands of items (many worth $1,000-$20,000) all at once with $10-20 starting bid and free shipping. They're usually gone in a day or two.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:24:57 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2017, 01:46:36 am »
Hi,

You have to ask why would the seller hanmeimei30, who is located in China, not ship to China?

You can understand not shipping to some other places.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

I expect they are not comfortable scamming their own countrymen - whereas westerners.......

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2017, 01:46:54 am »
I just checked my paypal account and the payment to this seller says "Confirm" if I received the item or cancel.  The money is being held by paypal until the buyer confirms.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2017, 10:03:24 am »
Currently, one tracking number likely is being given to multiple recipients..
Ebay does not allow uploading same tracking number more than one time, you will get error message when trying to do so. I would guess those could be goods sold on other platform like aliexpress or maybe from different ebay account.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2017, 10:59:44 am »
BIG NEWS

Something is happening on eBAY

The scammer's seller's eBay profile has changed drastically. This is what his feedback looks like now:

A whole bunch of positive feedbacks are gone. All the negative feedback is gone

This is what the feedback looked like before:

There are only two items in the store:

Hopefully people will all get automatic refunds.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:01:44 am by Jay_Diddy_B »

Offline et328

• Contributor
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2017, 01:15:53 pm »
My ebay has now this text on that item (that I also bought) :
We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Center to help resolve any problems you may encounter.

So nothing to worry about, it's on it's way  ;)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2017, 01:57:11 pm »
What did he/she do to get THAT?

An Ebay God rating!?!?  Hmmmmm...

"Do You Know The Way To San José?"

Do you know the way to San José?
I've been away so long
I may go wrong and lose my way
I'm going back to find
Some peace of mind in San José

L.A. is a great big freeway
Put a hundred down and buy a car
In a week, maybe two
They'll make you a star
Weeks turn into years, how quck they pass
And all the stars that never were
Are parking cars and pumping gas

You can really breathe in San José
They've got a lot of space
There'll be a place where I can stay
I was born and raised in San José
I'm going back to find
Some peace of mind in San José

Fame and fortune is a magnet
It can pull you far away from home
With a dream in your heart you're never alone
Dreams turn into dust and blow away
And there you are without a friend
You pack your car and ride away
I've got lots of friends in San José  (Before SV made rents there higher than those in LA!)

Oh, L.A. is a great big freeway
Put a hundred down and buy a car
In a week, maybe two
They'll make you a star
Weeks turn into years,how quick they pass
And all the stars that never were
Are parking cars and pumping gas
I've got lots of friends in San José
Ohhhh, Do you know the way to San José?
Hmmmm, Can't wait to get back to San José

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2017, 03:05:59 pm »
My ebay has now this text on that item (that I also bought) :
We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Center to help resolve any problems you may encounter.

So nothing to worry about, it's on it's way  ;)

Yes I;ve seen that before - for a desoldering gun I ordered. 6 weeks later it still hadn't turned up and I claimed off Ebay.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2017, 04:40:30 pm »
I've seen that message a handful of times now, and it turned up every time. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2017, 05:08:31 pm »
Something is happening on eBAY

The scammer's seller's eBay profile has changed drastically. This is what his feedback looks like now:
There are only two items in the store:

Excellent. Reporting items does work to put a spotlight on problem listings.

The following users thanked this post: mauroh

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2017, 05:26:28 pm »
So, when these fraudulent, scam items are removed, the responses to them are removed, and all the time people spent submitting complaints with the intention of preventing this in the future becomes wasted effort?

And then the scammer ends up looking like a exemplary ebay citizen?! 

Something is very wrong with this picture.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2017, 05:28:52 pm »

I don't think so.  I reported the $17 seller 3 weeks ago, and nothing happened.  The very similar $18 seller is still out there.  I think eBay mostly ignores fraud reports, but eventually notices other signals like negative feedback ratings and refunds issued.

It looks like it was an account hijacking situation, or at least eBay thinks that.

(So maybe the listing was only taken down when the legitimate account owner complained?)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2017, 06:08:04 pm »
If that is in fact the case, I would rather that ebay erased the incident than saddle somebody with a bad reputation they didn't deserve.

I don't think so.  I reported the $17 seller 3 weeks ago, and nothing happened.  The very similar $18 seller is still out there.  I think eBay mostly ignores fraud reports, but eventually notices other signals like negative feedback ratings and refunds issued.

It looks like it was an account hijacking situation, or at least eBay thinks that.

(So maybe the listing was only taken down when the legitimate account owner complained?)

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2017, 06:31:20 pm »
... and all the time people spent submitting complaints with the intention of preventing this in the future becomes wasted effort?

Not wasted for eBay shareholders and the seller.  There are winners (them) and losers (us).  Just sad to see this come through the forum.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2017, 07:25:23 pm »
So far my experience with ebay has been pretty good, overall.

It's only if people end up losing their money that we lose. (I didn't mean just buyers, I also meant ebay- if it has to eat he cost of refunding a buyer because of a fraudulent seller, I agree, that does likely get passed on in the form of higher costs.)

If indeed this was a case of identity theft, I wouldn't be surprised. It happens everywhere. (meaning, I am sure it also happens in China to sellers sometime)

... and all the time people spent submitting complaints with the intention of preventing this in the future becomes wasted effort?

Not wasted for eBay shareholders and the seller.  There are winners (them) and losers (us).  Just sad to see this come through the forum.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:17:56 pm by cdev »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2017, 11:01:50 pm »
If eBay loses money, we lose as well, generally speaking. Those costs get translated into higher fees, which results in fewer sellers, less stuff, higher prices, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf