Author Topic: Deal alert! uni-t UT210E US $17.27 on ebay!  (Read 38529 times)

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Re: Deal alert! uni-t UT210E US $17.27 on ebay!
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2017, 10:12:02 am »
I order one this morning from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-T-UT210E-Digital-Clamp-Meter-Multimeter-Handheld-RMS-AC-DC-Mini-Resistanc/182786442852

Slightly more expensive, but 1k+ feedback, even if only 96.7%

At a guess it appears a large number of these have been dumped on the market.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2017, 10:59:57 am »
Surprised. No. I don't even think those optimists who ordered are going to be too surprised.

On the Ebay.com.au site if you look at the user and then try to access the store or see current listings you get nothing.
http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/hanmeimei30

Perhaps the OP supplied link is being cached in Ebay and there is a delay getting all servers synchronised.
I just tried clicking on the items for sale and visit the store links and both are working fine here in the UK.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2017, 12:58:31 pm »
I don't think this is a scam:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/UNI-T-UT210B-True-RMS-200A-LCD-Digital-AC-Current-Clamp-Meter-With-NCV-Test-R5R4/311551430093

EDIT: just noticed I bought the "B" instead of the "E"...

> 200.000 feedbacks, with a score of 98.3%

I even think I purchased from them before...

Anyway, just ordered one, as "the price is right"! Let's see how long it takes.

I already had ordered a Uni-T UT61E, but found out that it got stuck in customs... :( That sucks! More for the time it will take to arrive than the actual customs cost, though they do charge like 15 Euro just for handling, which is almost 50% of the buying price. Bad luck, but compensated for all the stuff that did not get through customs.

My guess is that Uni-T is preparing a new model UT210 and is getting rid of stocks.

There are many sellers offering this device. When looking, beware: you want the UT210E model, not the UT210A/UT210B!

Regards,
Vitor
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:02:17 pm by Bicurico »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2017, 01:46:22 pm »
Yes, that's what I suspect too. However, none of us have actually received the thing yet.

Some should arrive soon, if its legit.

I very much look forward to being able to measure current in a non-invasive manner. That will be so very nice for figuring out how to save money on power on just about everything I own that uses it.

Some people in the other thread figured out how to hack an external data connection into them. Which would also be very useful.

If I were Unit-T I would have their next model include that capability. (which people here basically developed for them.) Then they would have a real game changer if they kept the price the same.

Then it would be only right for people here to be able to snap up some of the now obsoleted but hackable model at a low price. Win-win for everybody!

I use my Uni-T UT61E several times a day. Its by far my most used test instrument. Its well built for what I do with it. I even have used it for measuring frequency, on occasion.

Uni-T products represent quite good value in my experience.

I don't think this is a scam:
My guess is that Uni-T is preparing a new model UT210 and is getting rid of stocks.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2017, 04:56:16 pm »
I very much look forward to being able to measure current in a non-invasive manner. That will be so very nice for figuring out how to save money on power on just about everything I own that uses it.

How are you going to measure current?  From what I think, you will have to split the wires.  Do you plan on splitting the wires on everything you own?  I think I will get a short extension cord and split it and keep it with this meter. I probable will split some cords that I use a lot.

How do you some of you measure AC current?  ie split wires or make up something? 

I am not sure this will be better than Kill A Watt.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2017, 05:13:16 pm »
I use mine mostly inside equipment where wires are not shrouded in pairs. So, it's no problem to put the clamp around the required wire. It's especially convenient when wires are soldered in (no connector :o).

For household use, you can split a short extension cord in order to get access to the individual lines. Although having to break the connection to insert the extension cord doesn't make the clamp more convenient than a Kill-a-Watt, the clamp meter doesn't have a minimum voltage requirement on the line to operate and can measure very small currents.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2017, 05:31:13 pm »
Here from another seller, price some dollars higher but with more sales and feedback.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2017, 08:13:17 pm »
According to ebay this package-that-is-supposed-to-be-a-UT210E is now in the US, although the location its in is in the Upper Midwest!?

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2017, 04:00:50 pm »
although the location its in is in the Upper Midwest!

I don't know how the postal system works, but I would think that with free shipping it's not likely to go direct door-to-door in the shortest time possible. More likely is that it is piggy-backing something else and will end up at some common shipping centre, then continue doing that until it gets close enough to be dropped at your door.

Also, shipping is slated to take 1-2 months, isn't it? Plenty of time for it to wend its way hither and yon :)

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2017, 04:17:36 pm »
I have had many debates with friends and colleagues about the Chinese free shipping.

It is incredible how one can purchase cheap stuff that comes with free shipping. Example: I bought a "Digispark Kickstarter ATTINY85 Arduino General Micro USB Development Board", which can be used to simulate a keyboard and hack stuff with automated key sequences. I don't want to cause any harm, but rather educate myself on these security issues, as it is sometimes hard to believe without seeing it.

Anyway, this tiny board comes soldered, has a USB connector, the microcontroller and everything else. It is shipped to me for free. And the total cost was US$1.43! How is that even possible?

How much does a simple stamp to an empty envelope sent to China cost? Certainly more than that!

So my theory is:

a) The Chinese government is subsidizing the shipping costs to Chinese exporters.
b) Merchandise is shipped in huge containers to the destination REGION.
c) Then it will be shipped to the end user through local post, with whom China has deals (i.e. a flat rate).

Shipping is slow because:

1) A container has to be filled up before it is shipped
2) Shipping is done by sea and takes 2 weeks to reach Europe (no idea about USA)
3) Then it takes another week to go from EU harbour to destination country and from there to customer

In case of the US, it is probably similar: the container arrives at one given "easy" port and will then be split and smaller packages spread through the states. This probably makes up for some weird routes.

All this provided it doesn't get hold up at customs.

I think Chinese use alternating ports that are less prone to have issues with customs:

- Holland
- UK
- Switzerland

If more expensive items are being shipped, they will actually CHANGE the envelope/packaging and resend it as if it was sent locally!

This is a cat and mouse game with customs.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2017, 04:20:11 pm »
although the location its in is in the Upper Midwest!

I don't know how the postal system works, but I would think that with free shipping it's not likely to go direct door-to-door in the shortest time possible. More likely is that it is piggy-backing something else and will end up at some common shipping centre, then continue doing that until it gets close enough to be dropped at your door.

No, the USPS doesn't work that way.  The (fake) tracking numbers they are sending out are for EMS packages, which are flown from China to the US.  Once they get out of customs they are delivered within 3 days.  They don't backtrack unless they are mis-sorted somewhere.

I have had many debates with friends and colleagues about the Chinese free shipping.

Fine, but completely irrelevant to this thread.  In this case, the seller can easily offer free EMS shipping, because they are not actually shipping anything  :-//
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:30:34 pm by edavid »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2017, 04:29:13 pm »
No, the USPS doesn't work that way

Fair enough.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2017, 04:32:24 pm »

Fine, but completely irrelevant to this thread.  In this case, the seller can easily offer free EMS shipping, because they are not actually shipping anything  :-//

1) Are you sure that they are not shipping anything?
2) The debate is not just about them not shipping anything, but what makes this offer so cheap: probably end of lifecycle of the product, together with free subsidized shipping.
3) What may be irrelevant to you in this thread, may be usefull to others?

Regards,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: JRM

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2017, 04:44:36 pm »
1) Are you sure that they are not shipping anything?

That is my theory.  I am sure they didn't ship anything to me, and fairly sure they didn't ship anything to cdev.  If someone else actually receives a meter, I will change my theory.

2) The debate is not just about them not shipping anything, but what makes this offer so cheap: probably end of lifecycle of the product, together with free subsidized shipping.

If it's a scam, I don't see the point of discussing those other factors.

Since they are sending out EMS tracking numbers, there is no question about shipping costs.  You can look up the EMS rates from China, they are not especially cheap.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:49:29 pm by edavid »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2017, 06:47:41 pm »
Whatever they sent, it likely will be here within a few days.

From the other people selling it I suspect they simply are discontinuing it and blew out their remaining stock cheap.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2017, 06:54:30 pm »
From the other people selling it I suspect they simply are discontinuing it and blew out their remaining stock cheap.

Their remaining stock of more than 500 units?  Seems implausible that a small time eBay seller of dolls and gloves would have that many DMMs lying around.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2017, 07:14:06 pm »
You're right.

Well, we'll see what happens.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2017, 07:29:03 pm »
implausible that a small time eBay seller of dolls and gloves would have that many DMMs lying around

Do those sellers have any stock around? Perhaps they are drop-shippers and only 'acquire' stock as they sell it. In which case, maybe they're all selling the same stock, and the same 500 boxes or whatever are being pre-sold multiple times by different sellers. OK if you're first in the queue :)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Deal alert! uni-t UT210E US $17.27 on ebay! SCAM
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2017, 07:34:50 pm »
So, checked my ebay account and found that my UT210E package "had been delivered" - but, wrong address, wrong state, wrong everything.

So, IMHO its a fraud.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:54:16 pm by cdev »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2017, 08:50:08 pm »
So, checked my ebay account and found that my UT210E package "had been delivered" - but, wrong address, wrong state, wrong everything.

So, IMHO its a fraud.

Yep. Scam.

My tracking shows  "delivered" to a Miami, FL address today.

I live in Washington State.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2017, 08:53:47 pm »
What does the seller say?  Does he/she even reply to messages?  I made an offer for less money and it was rejected, why would they reject an offer if they are shipping empty bags?  Why would they spend money in shipping if it is a scam?  Are they stealing tracking numbers?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2017, 09:05:18 pm »

So, IMHO its a fraud.

It might be that they accidently gave you the wrong tracking number, check with the seller and then if you're not happy open up a dispute via Ebay.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: g***!

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2017, 09:17:23 pm »

So, IMHO its a fraud.

It might be that they accidently gave you the wrong tracking number, check with the seller and then if you're not happy open up a dispute via Ebay.
If more wrong tracking number cases show up, it is certainly a scam... and most probably the seller already ran with the money... but why not just disappear?  To be able to sell another batch (I purchased one at full price when they added the 2nd batch  :palm:)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2017, 10:13:14 pm »
What's the best thing to do, I am attempting to figure out an appropriate response (its now shown as "delivered" to the wrong address.. ) 

I have to say I am very curious as to what exactly was delivered in that package.. (I asked the USPS who were able to verify that "the package" was delivered, but they could not tell me the address it was delivered to, or it's weight.. )

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2017, 10:22:54 pm »
What's the best thing to do, I am attempting to figure out an appropriate response (its now shown as "delivered" to the wrong address.. ) 

I have to say I am very curious as to what exactly was delivered in that package.. (I asked the USPS who were able to verify that "the package" was delivered, but they could not tell me the address it was delivered to, or it's weight.. )
I had a similar thing with a Banggood order, the tracking showed that it had been delivered but I never received. Banggood kept insisting that I wait until the number of days estimated for delivery had expired.
On the last day I did indeed get a parcel from Banggood and I was expecting soldering iron tips instead I got a sexy ladies under garment. Careful examination of the package revealed that my address label had been stuck over the top of a ladies address in Bradford. Now I bet thats where my soldering iron tips went to.

Banggood denied that this had happened and refunded my money straight back to Paypal.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf