Author Topic: Double discount on Keysight scopes  (Read 5792 times)

Offline RossSTopic starter

• Contributor
Double discount on Keysight scopes
« on: April 20, 2017, 01:30:42 pm »
Haven't seen this mentioned, and I figure someone might be interested:

Keysight is offering both a 30% trade-in discount and a free DSOX1102G when you buy a 3000T series scope. These offers CAN be combined, as confirmed by my distributor and the fact that I just did it. They accepted my Rigol DS1102E as trade-in. I picked up a new 3014T for effectively right around half MSRP.

Don't know if this means a new Megazoom V line of scopes is around the corner... but I'm pretty happy with what I got for the price.

The following users thanked this post: Bud, lukier

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
Re: Double discount on Keysight scopes
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 04:44:43 pm »
Hehe. I got a 40% discount, AND traded in the (to me) unwanted DSOX1102G for the DSOXT3APPBNDL. Bargain!

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:57:28 pm »
Do you know which UK distributor accepts this combined deal (trade in discount + DSOX1102G)? Farnell maybe?

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:28:00 pm »
Do you know which UK distributor accepts this combined deal (trade in discount + DSOX1102G)? Farnell maybe?

I bought mine from Lambda. Helpful guys, good service. Everyone who works there seems to be called Peter... :)
https://www.lambdaphoto.co.uk

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 05:33:44 pm »
Thanks! They seem to be better than Farnell, as they'll have DSOX3014T in stock in two weeks instead of mid-June.

I've just submitted the quotation request on Keysight's Trade-In website and I wonder how much I'll get for my DS1054Z.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 05:10:12 pm »
Hmm I don't think these promos work. Bummer.

My original plan was to get low end 30X4T series scope from Keysight's eBay store, pay import taxes, shipping and sell my DS1054Z to a friend. However somebody already snatched that DSOX3024T on Friday.

Here I learned that people managed to combine both promos, so I figured I could buy DSOX3014T, with 30% discount for my Rigol and get 1000X series one to sell to a friend (well for less than the MSRP price). The final costs would be similar to the first scenario, but instead of a bare, second hand scope I would get a new one with more than 30 days of warranty (and this might come useful if the PSU dies or Flash gets corrupted) and probes.

I got a call(*) from Keysight on Friday, chit chat, then the guy checked who has DSOX3014T in stock, turns out Microlease has so he forwarded my details to them. During our chat I didn't hear categorical confirmation that one can combine both promos, not to mention 30% for DS1054Z.

Yesterday I got a call(*) from Microlease and this guy was even more clueless about these promos (a bit surprising coming from Keysight's official distributor) and told me he needs to ask someone (Keysight?) for details before he prepares my quotation. Then I got quite impertinent question - "what is your budget".  Anyway, no email yet.

I guess the best course of action would be to wait couple months more and look for decently priced eBay auctions with the other brand oscilloscopes.
That was my initial idea, but later I realized that huge PC based LeCroy is not only a bit long in the tooth, still quite pricey on eBay and it's not an everyday scope so I decided to give 3000T a chance. Despite the well known shortcomings (amount of memory, common failures) it seems like a good fast day to day scope, hackability is also a plus and with the eBay store prices or with these two promos combined the final price makes it actually good value.

It seems it is very difficult to buy from Keysight. Last time I wanted few spare parts for 34401A it took almost 1.5 months (parts in stock, but to be fair I liked the final outcome how Keysight handled the problem, but I'd rather just pay and get the parts quickly).

(*) On the Keysight's trade-in online form I've selected Preferred contact method: By Email as I hate such NMI while focused at code at work unless this is something gravely serious. On the call with Keysight I asked for Microlease (where my details were forwarded to) to email me - of course I got a call. What is wrong with these people  :palm:.

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 09:37:55 pm »
I originally contacted Keysight, and got handed over to several resellers, some of whom were, let's say, all talk and no action, and others who were more helpful. But I actually see the "what's your budget" question as an invitation to name your own price. "I've got £xK to spend on a such and such model with whatever options, and if I cant get that, I'm off down the road to get an alternative solution" will basically get them to decide if there's enough profit to do a deal or not.

The following users thanked this post: lukier

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 05:04:57 pm »
I originally contacted Keysight, and got handed over to several resellers, some of whom were, let's say, all talk and no action, and others who were more helpful. But I actually see the "what's your budget" question as an invitation to name your own price. "I've got £xK to spend on a such and such model with whatever options, and if I cant get that, I'm off down the road to get an alternative solution" will basically get them to decide if there's enough profit to do a deal or not.

Thanks for your advice. I don't know how to talk to sales people. I don't like the budget question, because from experience I know that sales people would like the whole of this budget or even more (recently at work I had to convince the salespeople that I really don't want nVidia's 200k GPB GPU cluster and I won't buy it despite the discounts they've offered, even if there is that much money in the equipment budget (not their business), and all I want from them is to assemble a beefy PC from SuperMicro 4U dual Xeon system and 8 GPUs - the final float32 performance is very similar, other parameters didn't matter that much, while the price is only ~10% of what they wanted to sell me). So in this case I would assume if the sales people get the number X GBP they'll try to sell me slightly more expensive Tektronix scope (as they don't know about Tek's poor performance and may have good profit margins).

I've contacted Keysight, Microlease and Lambda with ultimately very simple, precise and to the point question - can I get DSOX3014T with 30% discount for Rigol DS1054Z and free DSOX1102G, preferably before the end of May as I'm going on holiday later, but instead I got random phone calls, clueless email replies, trying to teach me what DSOX3014T is, rather inappropriate questions about my budget, offers on Rigol 4000 series etc. It took many emails and days to get the answer to my question  :palm:.

The deal doesn't seem to be possible, despite there being nothing on Keysight's website and T&C of both promos prohibiting the combination.

Microlease:
I'd like to make a case but as this is coming directly from Keysight, unless you have proof of this combination deal (i.e Trade in credit +DSOX3014T + free scope), there's not much else I can do here. Also, the fact it does not appear on the T&C's does not mean it's valid.

Lambda:
I have just checked and you can't combine promotions so you will not be able to claim a free scope as well.

I'll pass on Keysight and look for some other, second hand but maybe higher performance scopes on eBay. As much as I laughed at Amazon's 1-click shopping patents, as people have reasons to complain about eBay/PayPal this is all better than dealing with the sales people. Buying 1 GBP worth of some crap from Aliexpress provides better customer experience (quick order, automatically applied discounts, good dispute policies) than buying a brand name scope for thousands times more.

The following users thanked this post: Frost

Offline RossSTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 03:37:48 pm »
The deal doesn't seem to be possible, despite there being nothing on Keysight's website and T&C of both promos prohibiting the combination.

My experience was very different. I explicitly asked Testequity if I could combine, and they said yes after checking. I ended up buying from Newark, and there were no problems there either. I got the 30% off and now have the free DSO1102G-100MHz in a box on my table.

I started the order process through the distributors instead of through Keysight. I actually tried to get in touch with Keysight first to ask about combining offers, but they never got back to me. The distributor has to take information about your trade-in scope (model, serial #) and forward it on to Keysight for approval. This takes a couple days. Then with approval, the distributor gives you the quote for 30% off MSRP. Once you buy the scope, you fill out the form on Keysight's website for the free 1102G. They need the serial number of the scope you just bought. Keysight checks with the distributor to confirm (took just one day for me), and then ships you the free scope. It ships from their factory in Malaysia, so it takes a couple weeks to arrive.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 03:57:04 pm »
I wonder what they do with the traded-in scopes? Dumpster? If so, man, would I love to dumpster dive that one! ;)
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 04:12:33 pm »
Haven't seen this mentioned, and I figure someone might be interested:

Keysight is offering both a 30% trade-in discount and a free DSOX1102G when you buy a 3000T series scope. These offers CAN be combined, as confirmed by my distributor and the fact that I just did it. They accepted my Rigol DS1102E as trade-in. I picked up a new 3014T for effectively right around half MSRP.

Don't know if this means a new Megazoom V line of scopes is around the corner... but I'm pretty happy with what I got for the price.

It's great that you can combine the deals. Last August I traded in my Agilent scope for a 3000T and expected to get the free MSO option, but that was not allowed. I know that TestEquity did check carefully, then I read some fine print on one of the offers and it was clear that a combination was not allowed. However, the 30% trade-in discount would have applied to the MSO model. In the end I decided to get the DSO and rather than pay $1000 for the MSO option I bought a $500  Saleae Logic Pro 8. This was the best combination for me, especially considering the cost of protocol decode licenses for the scope which I could never justify for "non-profit work".

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 04:45:25 pm »
My experience was very different. I explicitly asked Testequity if I could combine, and they said yes after checking. I ended up buying from Newark, and there were no problems there either. I got the 30% off and now have the free DSO1102G-100MHz in a box on my table.

Maybe it's just the clueless UK salespeople, you got good service in the US. No idea why Keysight insists on the distributors so much.

I started the order process through the distributors instead of through Keysight. I actually tried to get in touch with Keysight first to ask about combining offers, but they never got back to me. The distributor has to take information about your trade-in scope (model, serial #) and forward it on to Keysight for approval. This takes a couple days. Then with approval, the distributor gives you the quote for 30% off MSRP. Once you buy the scope, you fill out the form on Keysight's website for the free 1102G. They need the serial number of the scope you just bought. Keysight checks with the distributor to confirm (took just one day for me), and then ships you the free scope. It ships from their factory in Malaysia, so it takes a couple weeks to arrive.

I got 30% off for DS1054Z confirmed by Microlease, but they've said no free DSOX1102G. I wanted to confirm the 1102G deal with the distributors, as on Keysight form to claim the free scope they require to provide the name of the distributor (where e.g. DSOX3014T was bought from).

But I suspected somehow that the 1102G promo is a separate thing, organized mostly by Keysight, so probably I could have got 30%, get DSOX3014T and then claim 1102G but I wanted to be 100% sure.

Anyway I have now LeCroy WaveRunner 6100A coming my way, scored for parts or repair from eBay. A bit of a gamble, cheap but not peanuts, but if I manage to fix it it is a 4 channel 1 GHz scope with quite a bit of memory and a nice repair project hopefully. The PC side of the scope (which improves boot/UI/math performance massively) should be easily upgradeable to Win7 (32bit), new mobo/CPU/RAM new LCD, SSD etc. Overall higher class than 3000T family (closer to DSO9000 range), but no MSO and function generator. Not a big deal since I have Tek's TLA715 logic analyzer and a couple of function generators/AWGs.

I wonder what they do with the traded-in scopes? Dumpster? If so, man, would I love to dumpster dive that one! ;)

I'm curious about that too - what will Keysight do with all these DS1054Z :) I guess it will get recycled for parts and end up on the Shenzhen markets.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 04:52:00 pm »

Yeah, this "trade-in" deal is stupid. What's the point? I can't imagine Keysight using them for anything, so wouldn't it be better for both parties to just have a discount and let the buyer keep his scope?

If Keysight do anything useful at all with them I would like to know!

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 05:52:38 pm »

I'm curious about that too - what will Keysight do with all these DS1054Z :) I guess it will get recycled for parts and end up on the Shenzhen markets.

I'm OK with that, or they can stay in the dumpster!  >:D
I wonder more about the Tek, Lecroy, and Agilent ones. I'd step on the Rigols to get to the A brands. ;D
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 04:06:02 am »
Yeah, this "trade-in" deal is stupid. What's the point? I can't imagine Keysight using them for anything, so wouldn't it be better for both parties to just have a discount and let the buyer keep his scope?

They get destroyed beyond economical repair, typically smashed in screens and broken input sockets. Having eliminated second hand product in the market they aim to sell more new product as people looking for a scope have fewer second hand options. Look at it this way, they're offering way above market value for the trade in scopes, its a win for the consumer if they couldn't get a better deal otherwise.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline euzer

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 04:04:57 pm »
Seems like Keysight stopped any trade in a few months ago. What discount from list does anyone normally get from distributors?

Offline switch998

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 12:25:39 am »

They get destroyed beyond economical repair, typically smashed in screens and broken input sockets. Having eliminated second hand product in the market they aim to sell more new product as people looking for a scope have fewer second hand options. Look at it this way, they're offering way above market value for the trade in scopes, its a win for the consumer if they couldn't get a better deal otherwise.

If they are BER then I could see them scrapping them, but for most operational trades keysight resells them through their outlet. They actually have an eBay account, see here: http://stores.ebay.com/KeysightMV

Edit: well, I didn't realize this thread is over a year old. All I looked at was May and assumed 2018, D'oh!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:33:18 am by switch998 »

Offline euzer

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 08:56:30 am »

If they are BER then I could see them scrapping them, but for most operational trades keysight resells them through their outlet. They actually have an eBay account, see here: http://stores.ebay.com/KeysightMV

Edit: well, I didn't realize this thread is over a year old. All I looked at was May and assumed 2018, D'oh!
Distributor suggested they used to get approval of trade in from Keysight then make the trade in items BER themselves (not return to Keysight), and dispose of them, but the system had been abused. Could be why it's been stopped.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:58:44 am by euzer »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf