Author Topic: DPO2012  (Read 1665 times)

Offline JwallingTopic starter

• Supporter
  • This is work?
DPO2012
« on: September 19, 2018, 06:43:58 pm »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332811281078?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323445461289?

Click on "View original item". Hmm... (Actually sold for $250, BTW.) Note serial numbers.  :--
I'd stay away from that one!
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: DPO2012
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 07:17:19 pm »
Can you expand on what you're getting at there? I fear whatever it is is too subtle for me to spot.

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:06:01 pm »
Can you expand on what you're getting at there? I fear whatever it is is too subtle for me to spot.

They are the same scope. The power supply was harvested (likely swapped in a dead supply) and is now being re-sold for more $. The active listing now has a bad power supply and main board.
Jay

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 09:20:44 pm »
I still don't see the issue. Are you suggesting that if someone buys something they aren't allowed to sell it?

The listing is truthful when it says the unit doesn't power on, and I can't see that it matters where the seller got the thing from, nor how much he wants for it in its current state (even vs what he paid for it - 'profit' is a word with an actual meaning).

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 12:44:56 am »
I still don't see the issue. Are you suggesting that if someone buys something they aren't allowed to sell it?

The listing is truthful when it says the unit doesn't power on, and I can't see that it matters where the seller got the thing from, nor how much he wants for it in its current state (even vs what he paid for it - 'profit' is a word with an actual meaning).

Precisely. I've done it before where I've purchased an item off ebay knowing full well that I'm going to get it for a bargain price (and later resell it) or I've poached parts from the unit but returned the bought unit to some kind of sell-able condition.

As dunkemhigh said, as long as you've described the listing accurately, who cares? If I own something, it's mine to do whatever I want with. If I make a bit of money out of it, hooray for me.

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 10:30:24 am »

Precisely. I've done it before where I've purchased an item off ebay knowing full well that I'm going to get it for a bargain price (and later resell it) or I've poached parts from the unit but returned the bought unit to some kind of sell-able condition.

As dunkemhigh said, as long as you've described the listing accurately, who cares? If I own something, it's mine to do whatever I want with. If I make a bit of money out of it, hooray for me.

Well, I've been on the receiving end of buying equipment for parts/repair that have been cannibalized.

Case in point, in the last year or so I bought a TDS784D that was listed as "not powering on."

What I got was a unit that had the following faults:

1. Dead CRT.
2. Dead HV assembly.
3. Dead power supply from a TDS700A
4. 3 blown attenuator hybrids. They were obviously swapped in as they had different (older) revisions. Probably also from a TDS700A.
5. The wrong CPU assembly (came from a TDS784A)

In this case, the seller bought the scope knowing that it had a bad mainboard and swapped out the working power supply with a bad one, then lists the scope as not powering on, knowing full well that the mainboard is bad, but not disclosing it as such.

I find it deceptive that a seller would cannabilize a piece of equipment, and load it up with bad parts. YMMV...
Jay

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, exe

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 10:43:03 am »
That's a fair point and worth being made aware of.

Maybe if you'd suggested that in the original post it would have been clear why you made the thread instead of leaving us to guess.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 11:10:33 am »
Well, I've been on the receiving end of buying equipment for parts/repair that have been cannibalized.

You won't buy such stuff again, and many of us here won't either. But every day a new fool is born, so everyone is free to try to fool you again and again ...
That's kind of fraud, at least deception, but still not against the wording of the rules. If it's obvious, just don't buy it.
Same with the nasty practice of some sellers to remove plug-ins or modules from a perfectly working unit to sell them as separate items to make more profit - just don't buy it.
Safety devices hinder evolution

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:33:57 pm »

You won't buy such stuff again, and many of us here won't either. But every day a new fool is born, so everyone is free to try to fool you again and again ...

And some of us are capable of fixing this stuff if the game isn't rigged; I guess some are not. ;)
Jay

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf