Poll

Should Dave bid on this insanely huge collection of old junk parts?

Hell yes, at any price!
50 (43.9%)
Meh
22 (19.3%)
No frigg'n way, that's a world of hurt!
42 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Ebay FA: Sydney - Worlds Largest Collection Of Vintage Components  (Read 35647 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Oh bugger it, I was going to keep this secret, but I just can't bring myself bid on this AMAZING collection of components, because I know how much work it will be to move it, unload it, sort it, junk or sell the majority of it, and keep whats useful. It's not worth the pain!
So maybe someone else in Sydney wants it:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-ELECTRONIC-COMPONENTS-1000s-CAPACITORS-INDUCTORS-DIODES-RESISTORS-ETC-/231530041621

The guys who collected this is David Sparks, and he must have spent his entire life collecting, desoldering, sorting, bagging, labeling, and categorising all these parts.
Maybe not the worlds largest collection, but if not, certainly the worlds most meticulously organised and labeled!
And yes they are all cataloged on a master spreadsheet!

I have personally seen this collection and have an inpromptu video of it I will upload in due course, and a bunch of photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eevblog/sets/72157651620532490/

Before you get all excited as I was upon first viewing this collection, bare in mind that it is ALL entirely old through hole stuff, and almost all of it is 2nd hand desoldered parts! Resistors, diodes, caps, ICs, you name it!
Each takeaway container is chock full of not just parts, but they are all individual categorised inside the boxes ziplocked bagged and labeled. It's insane.

Please tell me I'm smart and saving myself a world of grief for not bidding on this...

David Sparks Vintage Component Collection by eevblog, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:30:57 pm by EEVblog »

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
Re: Ebay FA: Sydney - Worlds Largest Collection Of Vintage Components
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 01:27:31 pm »
Sorting through that's an ideal task to delegate to your new employee

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 01:32:48 pm »

No, no. You delegate it to the intern *after* pulling them all out of the boxes and into a giant pile.

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 01:47:22 pm »

No, no. You delegate it to the intern *after* pulling them all out of the boxes and into a giant pile.

I think he'd need an extra intern to pull them out the boxes and make the giant pile, judging by the photos.

Offline Barny

• Frequent Contributor
  • I'm from Austria, not Australia ;)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 02:01:16 pm »
The Bunker looks to emty.
The optimal place for this manny components.

If you buy this, you'll able to open a Retro-Parts shop and / or have enough eternally ;)

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 02:02:57 pm »
I think that looks much bigger in the shelfs than it acutally is. Imagine all those boxes packed tighly together.
They fit in a bigger car like a VW Passat Variant (american call them sedan IIRC).
For that price: Can't be wrong since you got the new basement space ;)
Where is that smoke coming from?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 02:04:54 pm »
Woah, someone just retracted their bid of $600!

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 02:15:47 pm »
It currently only at $19.99.  Come-on Dave.... I know you can't resist... The urge is strong...

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 02:27:54 pm »
next level of hoarding  ? :scared: that's insane !

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 02:32:20 pm »
That's a lot of takeaways.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 02:40:32 pm »
Come on Dave, you can buy the lot for $100, then simply sign each box and sell for $ 30 incl shipping, international at  cost, and make a killing.

Just how big a building do you need to store it all after the win?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 02:53:14 pm »
A substantial purchase such as this could potentially mean never again having to walk into a Jaycar store for an odd bit.
This aspect alone has a value for some......... :-// :palm:

This stuff just drive's me bonkers, boy if I had the room.

Muttley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:44:44 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 03:16:09 pm »
If you have time you could break it up and sell piece by piece but even then it is unlikely worth the time & effort. The storage alone will cost more than the components are actually worth. The electrolytics can go straight into the trash. The same goes for all the desoldered parts.

edit: I love the desoldered chips in aluminium foil over styrofoam. I think I have quite a collection myself somewhere...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:19:34 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 03:16:28 pm »
The guys who collected this is David Sparks, and he must have spent his entire life collecting, desoldering, sorting, bagging, labeling, and categorising all these parts.

Why does he sell it? There is probably a good story behind it. Amp Hour?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 03:24:55 pm »

This stuff just drive's me bonker's, boy if I had the room.

Muttley

I do have the room............

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 03:26:55 pm »
Woah, someone just retracted their bid of $600!

I am sure it will make a good video on it's own and if there are some obscure components in "ETC" then maybe even more than one.
And just let David put everything you don't need on ebay or so, as far as the estimated selling price makes up for the effort putting it on in the first place.

If this offer was around here I'd go for it.

Offline Flump

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 04:42:30 pm »
sell them as lucky dip component packs each signed by you
for $10au + shipping a pop, you would make a killing

Offline Caca

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 05:40:17 pm »
come on Dave, you know you want to get it. And perhaps you might find something that would be worth the lot in single item, you never know until you buy it! :)

Offline Flump

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 08:11:57 pm »
in the advert it said the shelving can be included too, would hat be at the same price ?
that would be useful

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 08:43:16 pm »
p.i.t.a. in my opinion, if you're not into boat anchor restoration why on earth would you want to piss your time away with this old museum. 80% useless passive components.
Maybe 2% rare stuff that could sell. The rest will just stay on your shelf until it's Sagan's turn to put up the auction when you're no more.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 09:29:38 pm »
Actually I see three opportunities here for Dave.

First: This could be a good way to help all the people on the forums who are buying old used equipment and restoring them. Some parts are just too old to find easily but Dave would probably have it and could slowly sell off the parts.

Second: Dave is always tearing apart old things and receiving old broken things for tear down. This collection could also be worth quite a few videos as well as using the parts to restore and repair the items he receives or gets from dumpster dives.

Third: Lots of young starters in the world who could benefit from some easy to use through the whole components to learn with. Dave could send them off as good will and to help to educate the world.

All of the above depends on the price of course. If it goes for $1k, maybe. $4k no way. Anything under $500 would be a steal. It IS all cataloged and sorted. It would be so easy to find and use whatever part that is there. If it was in my country, I would be trying to get it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:58:29 pm by Lightages »

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 10:24:04 pm »
There's a lot in there that you'd never use/sell, but just the component drawers, trays and tubs would be worth a reasonable amount.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 10:37:19 pm »
A substantial purchase such as this could potentialy mean
never again having to walk into a Jaycar store for an odd bit.

Remember, it's almost all 2nd hand desoldered parts, vintage stuff, you can't even stick the parts in a breadboard because of the solder on them.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 10:39:28 pm »
p.i.t.a. in my opinion, if you're not into boat anchor restoration why on earth would you want to piss your time away with this old museum. 80% useless passive components.
Maybe 2% rare stuff that could sell. The rest will just stay on your shelf until it's Sagan's turn to put up the auction when you're no more.

Those are my thoughts.
The only other thing is the "coolness" factor of having it to look it. And of course it makes for a video, but I already have a video about it.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 10:42:33 pm »
If you have time you could break it up and sell piece by piece but even then it is unlikely worth the time & effort. The storage alone will cost more than the components are actually worth. The electrolytics can go straight into the trash. The same goes for all the desoldered parts.

And that's the trick, almost all of it is desoldered parts! All the chips I could find, transistors, caps, diodes, etc.
Things like say fuses and maybe trimmers etc might be useful.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 10:53:47 pm »
A substantial purchase such as this could potentialy mean
never again having to walk into a Jaycar store for an odd bit.

Remember, it's almost all 2nd hand desoldered parts, vintage stuff, you can't even stick the parts in a breadboard because of the solder on them.
That's why I never use a breadboard, although I have one since about 2000.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 11:05:13 pm »

And that's the trick, almost all of it is desoldered parts! All the chips I could find, transistors, caps, diodes, etc.
Things like say fuses and maybe trimmers etc might be useful.
OK. I though a few parts where desoldered... almost all of them? Wow!  :o How did he manage that?  :scared: That must have taken a huge amount of time.
Anayway, I've also seen some modules (power supplies? amplifiers?) on the pictures you posted on Flickr. Those may be interesting and worth some tens of Aussie dollars. OTOH the old batteries can go straight to the chemical waste disposal. If that ain't free you might get stuck with them.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 11:22:40 pm »
As somebody who has a substantially larger collection of new and packaged components I can only shake my head in horror that anybody would consider buying this lot. It's just not worth the time, space and investment. Just buy what you need when you need it, searching for ages for components of questionable quality amongst this lot is a world a pain.

Every day I find myself buying new stuff from Farnell and RS, despite knowing I have a box full of the exact thing I need piled up somewhere but I just don't have the time to dig it out.

I could post pictures that would make that guy look like a beginner, I wish I could get rid of it all in one simple auction.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:25:08 pm by TopLoser »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 11:36:19 pm »
@Toploser: I totally agree. I have a parts database with component I use often and keep those stored in an organised way. The rest of the leftover components go into a box. Once that box is full I'll put it on Ebay.

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:13:37 am by bills »
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 12:42:20 am »
Valves could DEFINITELY be the big value items here, especially if there are any vintage audio power or preamp types.   A cache of NOS KT88s or 300Bs could easily pay for the entire load, and the cost of disposing of the hopeless desoldered TV parts, etc. The seller should post more detailed pics of them.

"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 12:51:33 am »
The only other thing is the "coolness" factor of having it to look it.

You, and anyone else gestating the thought of buying this collection, will get over that soon enough and it will just become part of the background. Then it will weigh upon you and you will want to be rid of it. Is that what happened to the present owner?

If you want to look at parts bins filled with stuff you don't need, go to your local electronics shop.

BTW, I have the sickness as bad as anyone. Don't think I'm preaching. I'm writing this for my benefit too.
As somebody who has a substantially larger collection of new and packaged components I can only shake my head in horror that anybody would consider buying this lot. It's just not worth the time, space and investment. Just buy what you need when you need it, searching for ages for components of questionable quality amongst this lot is a world a pain.

Every day I find myself buying new stuff from Farnell and RS, despite knowing I have a box full of the exact thing I need piled up somewhere but I just don't have the time to dig it out.

I could post pictures that would make that guy look like a beginner, I wish I could get rid of it all in one simple auction.

After a good sleep, a strong cup of coffee, a quick misguided tour of my own inventory and the revelation of these above two post's, I would now like to invert my vote, it was going high but is now switched low, sorry for the indecisiveness and inconvenience.

Furthermore, if the retracted bid was at $600.00 then to me this would indicate that the current bidder's maximum is just below that figure and $600.00 buy's a fair bit of what you actually need. It's not over yet and the bid's could potentially go a lot higher.

Good luck to him or her, it might actually be someone you know.

Muttley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:44:11 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 12:58:04 am »
Valves could DEFINITELY be the big value items here, especially if there are any vintage audio power or preamp types.   A cache of NOS KT88s or 300Bs could easily pay for the entire load, and the cost of disposing of the hopeless desoldered TV parts, etc. The seller should post more detailed pics of them.

Looking at the photos those are not worthless TV tubes/valves.
I would love to see more!
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2015, 03:08:09 am »
The eBay listing says there are new tantalum caps... that could be your excuse for buying the lot :)

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2015, 06:55:09 am »

Ahh ok, that changes the game big time.
I was assuming that the majority of the parts were suitable for using them in a breadboard as they are.
Hmmmm

Maybe not worth it then. But it still looks impressive.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2015, 07:54:21 am »
Everyone needs to remember that Dave is not the normal electronics "user". IMHO, this pile of electronic parts, depending on the price, are a fountain of videos, repairs for videos, and they can help him make a living on just looking at the parts. Any sales of them would be gravy, and any gifts to new comers to electronics would be a big help in educating them. I have never been wrong before.  >:D

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2015, 08:14:59 am »
I could post pictures that would make that guy look like a beginner

Hereby challenged!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2015, 08:16:03 am »
The Vacuum tubes/valves could have the most value in this collection.
I could only see the numbers on 3.

The valves are not included in this auction, they are worth small fortune to the right people.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2015, 08:19:39 am »
Furthermore, if the retracted bid was at $600.00 then to me this
would indicate that the current bidder's maximum is just below
that figure and $600.00 buy's a fair bit of what you actually need.

I know exactly who the current highest bidder is and what their max value is, I put them onto the auction.
Even they were "relieved" that someone outbid them, so they didn't have to sort through it all!  ;D

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2015, 08:23:53 am »

Hereby challenged!

I need to hire a van to get it all in one place, my ex-wife has given me until June to clear both garages out. Both spare rooms in my current house are already full and I've not even started moving stuff in.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2015, 08:46:24 am »
At least he marked the caps that contain PCB's.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline scatha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2015, 08:55:42 am »
At least he marked the caps that contain PCB's.

How do you even go about disposing of bulk PCB caps? Surely you can't just throw them in the bin.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 09:12:50 am »
@Toploser, you don't really need a lounge or kitchen......... So long as you can open the front or back door, have a place to fit the bed and a path to the bathroom and toilet you are set.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2015, 11:16:41 am »
30 minutes left, $405
Ebayer "-***n" is probing the highest bidder max price, 15 separate bids!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 11:48:33 am »
No last minute snipers, decades of that guys life of collecting and sorting parts went for $405
And to a worthy cause too, you'll see.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2015, 11:58:57 am »
No last minute snipers, decades of that guys life of collecting and sorting parts went for $405
Not to mention 10% to 15% Ebay + Paypal fees and whatever the seller charges for putting everything on Ebay. The owner is likely to get close to $200.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2015, 12:01:27 pm »
Not to mention 10% to 15% Ebay + Paypal fees and whatever the seller charges for putting everything on Ebay. The owner is likely to get close to $200.

Yep, not far off it.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2015, 01:34:39 pm »
It is sad to see but than an eyeopener for beginners to keep the collection within reason , this auction is proof that there is no gold in these parts.
I must admit i am also still buying used 20% full leftover reels with smd components, most of which  I might never ever use. :palm:

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2015, 01:50:24 pm »

Hereby challenged!

I need to hire a van to get it all in one place, my ex-wife has given me until June to clear both garages out. Both spare rooms in my current house are already full and I've not even started moving stuff in.
Quick tip - the Dunstable Downs electronics bootsale  near Luton is coming up soon  (May 17th) - it's a good place to shift big piles of stuff you can't be bothered to put on ebay... 
http://www.ddrcbootsale.org/
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2015, 01:50:50 pm »
It is sad to see but than an eyeopener for beginners to keep the collection within reason , this auction is proof that there is no gold in these parts.

So true, even to the original owner. Apart from hording obviously being his hobby, which of course is fine if that's what floats your boat. But the practical reality is 99.9999% of the parts never got used.
A stock of the most commonly used jellybean parts, and that's about all that is required.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2015, 01:57:27 pm »

Hereby challenged!

Quick tip - the Dunstable Downs electronics bootsale  near Luton is coming up soon  (May 17th) - it's a good place to shift big piles of stuff you can't be bothered to put on ebay... 

I've spent the morning sorting out piles of stuff to get rid of there. I may need a bigger car.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2015, 02:01:33 pm »

Plot just booked, thanks for the tip.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2015, 02:11:50 pm »
And I was hoping Toploser would post more interesting items on this site...

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2015, 02:14:31 pm »

Normal service will not be interrupted!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2015, 04:18:30 pm »

You put that lot on sale here Ian and Royal Mail might make a profit this year, just from you...........  >:D

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2015, 05:53:32 pm »

You put that lot on sale here Ian and Royal Mail might make a profit this year, just from you...........  >:D

That's the problem. All that small crap and eBay, PayPal and the Royal Mail make more profit than me. It's less trouble just to skip the lot of it, I think I threw 25 reels of SM 74HC595 away last week because I was sick of them falling over every time I opened the door!

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2015, 06:22:48 pm »

That's the problem. All that small crap and eBay, PayPal and the Royal Mail make more profit than me. It's less trouble just to skip the lot of it, I think I threw 25 reels of SM 74HC595 away last week because I was sick of them falling over every time I opened the door!
Damn - I could have used a couple of reels of those....

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2015, 06:24:57 pm »

See you there - I'm planning on doing it again this year, weather permitting, to clear more stuff out. Will probably repeat my "anything unsold by 12 O'clock is free" offer which was very successful last time!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2015, 06:58:16 pm »

See you there - I'm planning on doing it again this year, weather permitting, to clear more stuff out. Will probably repeat my "anything unsold by 12 O'clock is free" offer which was very successful last time!

If Ian and you meet up you might come back with more than you took there. I have had that happen to me a few times.....

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2015, 07:03:00 pm »

If Ian and you meet up you might come back with more than you took there. I have had that happen to me a few times.....

Wasn't how it worked after my divorce!!!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2015, 07:12:42 pm »
Wasn't how it worked after my divorce!!!

That is the price of love..........

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2015, 09:12:26 pm »

Put them on sale next time :)

Offline JackP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2015, 09:13:42 pm »

I might nag my parents into taking me then :blah:

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2015, 03:31:15 am »
I, and I'm sure many other member's would be interested to
know whether this dear fellow is or was in any way adversely
affected by the de-soldering process of so many component's
over what appear's to be a prolonged period of time.

With the utmost respect.

Muttley

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:46:02 am by Muttley Snickers »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2015, 04:17:38 am »
I, and I'm sure many other member's would be interested to
know whether this dear fellow is or was in any way adversely
affected by the de-soldering process of so many component's
over what appear's to be a prolonged period of time.
With the utmost respect.

All I know is that he's divorced and has moved overseas.
Hence why he's got an ebay agent to sell it all for him.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2015, 04:33:17 am »
Thank's Dave,

Buy the way, people are still voting....... :palm:...... :-DD

Muttley

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2015, 06:24:36 am »
I must admit that I have a small collection of reclaimed parts, I do get picky and choosy, going for the name brand caps, expensive hardware, hard to obtain bits.
The usefulness is that it is there. I turn around in the workshop and grab one off the parts drawer. It has no intrinsic value outside my workshop domain and I certainly don't do it as some sort of retirement plan.
The only time it would be valuable to others is when World War Z kicks in (the book, not the movie), and I'd probably end up being a zombie anyway!!! I can imagine there are a few doomsday preppers out there collecting for their view of the future.  :)
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline sean0118

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2015, 04:59:50 am »
I must admit i am also still buying used 20% full leftover reels with smd components, most of which  I might never ever use. :palm:

Source? I actually need quite a few SMD ceramic caps atm.  ;)

I guess if the tubes weren't for sale that explains why the final sale price was low. BTW have the tubes and Tektronix gear come up for sale yet?

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2015, 07:22:25 pm »
Source? I actually need quite a few SMD ceramic caps atm.  ;)
It is a firm that does P&P en manufacturing for customers. They safe all unused parts for a year and then once a year they sell them on a fair. So no online every day source unfortunately. And everything is mixed so searching for some specific value or component takes forever, i just scan everything and only score interesting parts like caps, some inductors, ics etc.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2015, 08:23:40 pm »
OCHoJ

Obsessive Compulsorey Hoarding Obsolete Junk ...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline sean0118

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2015, 06:24:13 am »
It is a firm that does P&P en manufacturing for customers. They safe all unused parts for a year and then once a year they sell them on a fair. So no online every day source unfortunately. And everything is mixed so searching for some specific value or component takes forever, i just scan everything and only score interesting parts like caps, some inductors, ics etc.

That's awesome, looks like you hit the jackpot.  :-+

A full reel of the caps I want are hundreds of dollars from Digikey, so I'll probably just get cut tape, but still expensive at $1-2 each.

Offline SNGLinks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2015, 07:07:44 am »

I might nag my parents into taking me then :blah:

I hope to be there. I'll be the one wearing a 'I only give negative feedback tee shirt'!

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2015, 07:13:30 am »
I'll be there with another "lots of stuff free if not sold by 11" stall which was a great sucess last year  - look for a black Ford Mondeo estate with a roofrack. 
(but I may also be found rummaging round Toploser & KJDS's stalls with a wad of cash...)

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2015, 08:06:10 am »
I'll be there with another "lots of stuff free if not sold by 11" stall which was a great sucess last year  - look for a black Ford Mondeo estate with a roofrack. 
(but I may also be found rummaging round Toploser & KJDS's stalls with a wad of cash...)

Will be good to see you again. I've started a separate thread here

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/dunstable-downs-car-boot-sale-discussion-thread/

Offline KE4PWE

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2015, 06:27:22 pm »
I'm so sad, I wish I had seen this earlier, I could have used this whole shop of material but I see its already gone. I only work on thru hole equipment and valve(tube) equipment restoration.  But thanks for all the great ideas for organizing my own stock, that is a great system that he had.  I recognize his name I think he wrote a technical book, but cannot remember.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2015, 10:29:41 pm »
Maybe Dave could put you in touch with the buyer, in case they want to share the purchase somehow?
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2015, 04:00:08 pm »
I'm so sad, I wish I had seen this earlier, I could have used this whole shop of material but I see its already gone.

Dude, you're in Florida  :-//  How would you have shipped it?

Offline mechatronicsguy

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2016, 08:33:27 am »
Hi Folks,

As discussed in the other thread, I'm now giving away the remainder of the collection, if anyone's interested:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/free-(aus)-world's-largest-electronics-parts-collection-as-seen-on-eevblog/

Cheers,
Gavin

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2017, 11:32:31 pm »
Yes I woke up an old thread so sue me, anyway I'm not sure if this has been mentioned recently but some of the equipment that was shown in Dave's video is currently listed on Ebay AU for those who may be interested, I have no connection with the seller and it's just a random find.

The Goods.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/sellit-online4u/m.html?item=232215682202

The Video.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:00:29 am by Brumby »

Offline Harb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2017, 04:56:40 am »
An excellent exercise in telling you all your years of work that you think is going to be worth a gazillion, is worth nothing......better off just sorting out the most valuable 10% of it and tipping the rest to make more room for test gear  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf