Poll

Should Dave bid on this insanely huge collection of old junk parts?

Hell yes, at any price!
50 (43.9%)
Meh
22 (19.3%)
No frigg'n way, that's a world of hurt!
42 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Ebay FA: Sydney - Worlds Largest Collection Of Vintage Components  (Read 35642 times)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Re: Ebay FA: Sydney - Worlds Largest Collection Of Vintage Components
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 10:53:47 pm »
A substantial purchase such as this could potentialy mean
never again having to walk into a Jaycar store for an odd bit.

Remember, it's almost all 2nd hand desoldered parts, vintage stuff, you can't even stick the parts in a breadboard because of the solder on them.
That's why I never use a breadboard, although I have one since about 2000.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 11:05:13 pm »
If you have time you could break it up and sell piece by piece but even then it is unlikely worth the time & effort. The storage alone will cost more than the components are actually worth. The electrolytics can go straight into the trash. The same goes for all the desoldered parts.

And that's the trick, almost all of it is desoldered parts! All the chips I could find, transistors, caps, diodes, etc.
Things like say fuses and maybe trimmers etc might be useful.
OK. I though a few parts where desoldered... almost all of them? Wow!  :o How did he manage that?  :scared: That must have taken a huge amount of time.
Anayway, I've also seen some modules (power supplies? amplifiers?) on the pictures you posted on Flickr. Those may be interesting and worth some tens of Aussie dollars. OTOH the old batteries can go straight to the chemical waste disposal. If that ain't free you might get stuck with them.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 11:22:40 pm »
As somebody who has a substantially larger collection of new and packaged components I can only shake my head in horror that anybody would consider buying this lot. It's just not worth the time, space and investment. Just buy what you need when you need it, searching for ages for components of questionable quality amongst this lot is a world a pain.

Every day I find myself buying new stuff from Farnell and RS, despite knowing I have a box full of the exact thing I need piled up somewhere but I just don't have the time to dig it out.

I could post pictures that would make that guy look like a beginner, I wish I could get rid of it all in one simple auction.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:25:08 pm by TopLoser »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 11:36:19 pm »
@Toploser: I totally agree. I have a parts database with component I use often and keep those stored in an organised way. The rest of the leftover components go into a box. Once that box is full I'll put it on Ebay.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:13:37 am by bills »
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 12:42:20 am »
Valves could DEFINITELY be the big value items here, especially if there are any vintage audio power or preamp types.   A cache of NOS KT88s or 300Bs could easily pay for the entire load, and the cost of disposing of the hopeless desoldered TV parts, etc. The seller should post more detailed pics of them.

"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 12:51:33 am »
The only other thing is the "coolness" factor of having it to look it.

You, and anyone else gestating the thought of buying this collection, will get over that soon enough and it will just become part of the background. Then it will weigh upon you and you will want to be rid of it. Is that what happened to the present owner?

If you want to look at parts bins filled with stuff you don't need, go to your local electronics shop.

BTW, I have the sickness as bad as anyone. Don't think I'm preaching. I'm writing this for my benefit too.
As somebody who has a substantially larger collection of new and packaged components I can only shake my head in horror that anybody would consider buying this lot. It's just not worth the time, space and investment. Just buy what you need when you need it, searching for ages for components of questionable quality amongst this lot is a world a pain.

Every day I find myself buying new stuff from Farnell and RS, despite knowing I have a box full of the exact thing I need piled up somewhere but I just don't have the time to dig it out.

I could post pictures that would make that guy look like a beginner, I wish I could get rid of it all in one simple auction.

After a good sleep, a strong cup of coffee, a quick misguided tour of my own inventory and the revelation of these above two post's, I would now like to invert my vote, it was going high but is now switched low, sorry for the indecisiveness and inconvenience.

Furthermore, if the retracted bid was at $600.00 then to me this would indicate that the current bidder's maximum is just below that figure and $600.00 buy's a fair bit of what you actually need. It's not over yet and the bid's could potentially go a lot higher.

Good luck to him or her, it might actually be someone you know.

Muttley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:44:11 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 12:58:04 am »
Valves could DEFINITELY be the big value items here, especially if there are any vintage audio power or preamp types.   A cache of NOS KT88s or 300Bs could easily pay for the entire load, and the cost of disposing of the hopeless desoldered TV parts, etc. The seller should post more detailed pics of them.

Looking at the photos those are not worthless TV tubes/valves.
I would love to see more!
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2015, 03:08:09 am »
The eBay listing says there are new tantalum caps... that could be your excuse for buying the lot :)

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2015, 06:55:09 am »
Remember, it's almost all 2nd hand desoldered parts, vintage stuff, you can't even stick the parts in a breadboard because of the solder on them.

Ahh ok, that changes the game big time.
I was assuming that the majority of the parts were suitable for using them in a breadboard as they are.
Hmmmm

Maybe not worth it then. But it still looks impressive.
Where is that smoke coming from?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2015, 07:54:21 am »
Everyone needs to remember that Dave is not the normal electronics "user". IMHO, this pile of electronic parts, depending on the price, are a fountain of videos, repairs for videos, and they can help him make a living on just looking at the parts. Any sales of them would be gravy, and any gifts to new comers to electronics would be a big help in educating them. I have never been wrong before.  >:D

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2015, 08:14:59 am »
I could post pictures that would make that guy look like a beginner

Hereby challenged!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2015, 08:16:03 am »
The Vacuum tubes/valves could have the most value in this collection.
I could only see the numbers on 3.

The valves are not included in this auction, they are worth small fortune to the right people.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2015, 08:19:39 am »
Furthermore, if the retracted bid was at $600.00 then to me this
would indicate that the current bidder's maximum is just below
that figure and $600.00 buy's a fair bit of what you actually need.

I know exactly who the current highest bidder is and what their max value is, I put them onto the auction.
Even they were "relieved" that someone outbid them, so they didn't have to sort through it all!  ;D

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2015, 08:23:53 am »

Hereby challenged!

I need to hire a van to get it all in one place, my ex-wife has given me until June to clear both garages out. Both spare rooms in my current house are already full and I've not even started moving stuff in.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2015, 08:46:24 am »
At least he marked the caps that contain PCB's.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline scatha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2015, 08:55:42 am »
At least he marked the caps that contain PCB's.

How do you even go about disposing of bulk PCB caps? Surely you can't just throw them in the bin.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 09:12:50 am »
@Toploser, you don't really need a lounge or kitchen......... So long as you can open the front or back door, have a place to fit the bed and a path to the bathroom and toilet you are set.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2015, 11:16:41 am »
30 minutes left, $405
Ebayer "-***n" is probing the highest bidder max price, 15 separate bids!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 11:48:33 am »
No last minute snipers, decades of that guys life of collecting and sorting parts went for $405
And to a worthy cause too, you'll see.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2015, 11:58:57 am »
No last minute snipers, decades of that guys life of collecting and sorting parts went for $405
Not to mention 10% to 15% Ebay + Paypal fees and whatever the seller charges for putting everything on Ebay. The owner is likely to get close to $200.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2015, 12:01:27 pm »
Not to mention 10% to 15% Ebay + Paypal fees and whatever the seller charges for putting everything on Ebay. The owner is likely to get close to $200.

Yep, not far off it.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2015, 01:34:39 pm »
It is sad to see but than an eyeopener for beginners to keep the collection within reason , this auction is proof that there is no gold in these parts.
I must admit i am also still buying used 20% full leftover reels with smd components, most of which  I might never ever use. :palm:

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2015, 01:50:24 pm »

Hereby challenged!

I need to hire a van to get it all in one place, my ex-wife has given me until June to clear both garages out. Both spare rooms in my current house are already full and I've not even started moving stuff in.
Quick tip - the Dunstable Downs electronics bootsale  near Luton is coming up soon  (May 17th) - it's a good place to shift big piles of stuff you can't be bothered to put on ebay... 
http://www.ddrcbootsale.org/
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2015, 01:50:50 pm »
It is sad to see but than an eyeopener for beginners to keep the collection within reason , this auction is proof that there is no gold in these parts.

So true, even to the original owner. Apart from hording obviously being his hobby, which of course is fine if that's what floats your boat. But the practical reality is 99.9999% of the parts never got used.
A stock of the most commonly used jellybean parts, and that's about all that is required.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf