Author Topic: Ebay find: Giant lot of surplus test equipment  (Read 14579 times)

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Ebay find: Giant lot of surplus test equipment
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 08:35:24 pm »
KM6XZ - sounds like interesting story. Wouldnt you write more ? Why did you move to Russia ? :o

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 08:41:51 pm »
Thats a really nice score.  :-+
If you ever decide to sell that dynamic signal analizer let me know...

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 09:03:45 pm »
Why is the good stuff always in the 'States?

Because we are exceptional.   :-DMM

Offline KM6XZ

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 10:15:54 pm »
KM6XZ - sounds like interesting story. Wouldnt you write more ? Why did you move to Russia ? :o

It was a great time for geeks in Northern California, where the combination of so many high tech hardware companies were located all within a few miles of each other so there was an unusually large percentage of all the engineers designing test equipment anywhere were in the same vicinity. The discussions around the breakfast snack booth probably accounted for more career moves, new ideas, or collaborations on new start ups than any VC conference. Just about everyone had worked at some time in their career for HP or Fairchild which in turned spawned hundreds of engineer created start ups in the first wave of Silicon Valley which was hardware.The second wave of Silicon Valley was the web and computer software which took over as hardware production wound down.

I was pretty familiar with all the test instruments so if I saw a module or sub assembly in a pile it was pretty rare that I did not know what it was and what it came out of. Before that, as a kid growing up close to a surplus disposal site, where sales and auctions were conduction regularly at MacCellan Air Base north of Sacramento, I grew up on surplus gear and knew probably every piece of military communications or test gear from WW2 on.

As soon as I was old enough to ride my bike to the air base surplus sales I was using my meager earnings from odd jobs 10 years old, mostly fixing neighbors radios or hi-fi, or CB radios, and collected enough to fully take over a 2 car garage, my bedroom and a spare bathroom for equipment and parts. Looking back my parents must have been very patient. I had already taken over 1/2 the backyard and all the roof for my ham radio antennas. Much of it was really dangerous to be messing with,since most was tube transmitters and some running 1500volts or more.  Being surrounded by the surplus communications gear and test instruments, I learned a lot about how well made gear was different from consumer products.
I later moved to San Francisco at 17 the day I graduated HS mid term in January in 1967 by myself using money I received from selling a repair shop I ran from age 13-17 that primarily hi-fi and ham radio repair. I talked my way into a nice small office rent at 13 telling the owner that my father sent me to find an office for him "since he was away on a business trip" I remember it was $68/mo in a moderately high traffic area which was a lot of money for me but it quickly became profitable for a business that was only open after school and weekends.By 13 I had plenty of test gear, mostly surplus GR, HP and Tektronix.

Moving as a kid from the white suburbs to San Francisco in '67 that was in the middle of a cultural revolution,  was a exciting time and I ended up repairing amps for local musicians who were in famous or about to be famous bands. I rented an apartment on a hill overlooking the beach in  San Francisco  that was pretty high end for a kid, that just happened to be at the top of a hill where at the base was one of the famous rock ballrooms, the Family Dog Bllroom. Word got around quickly that a kid up the hill could repair their gear on his kitchen table.
 It was not a business, just something I did for fun if they hauled their amps up the hill. I was not into music yet. My second repair that way was from a kid about my age who had come from Mexico and he needed it done fast because he had a performance that night at Fillmore. His name was Carlos.  He was pretty good. Carlos Santana. Within 6 months I knew all the bands that had gear or they knew me. Ended up going back to Sacramento to get my EE, which was pretty boring by that time since I had been designing my own transmitters and high performance receivers for 7 years and had 2 patents. Designed and built all the gear to be a very early Moon Bounce success where the other end was the Cornell Unv. managed 1000 ft dia radio telescope at Arecibo P.R.  at 16.
Then  returned to the Bay Area for a career in recording as engineer and eventually owner of a large successful studio that did some of the great hits of the 70s and 80s
I was traveling a lot and seeing the world I had only talked to by ham radio and one of the trips was to the USSR to see Moscow and Leningrad in 76. I fell in love with Leningrad, which later was returned to its original name of St Petersburg. I visited as often as I could, a unique city and culture  focused on the arts, science, education and one of the great cultural centers of the world.
 I was not really a city person but it felt like it was part of me. Finally, after the record industry collapsed in the early 90s I opened a service center for pro audio as a one man shop for consulting and it quickly grew to be the largest in the US. By the early 2000s I felt like a stranger in my own country,  suddenly on a flight home from St Petersburg where I had purchased an apartment since I was visiting so often, I decided that I was missing too much of life. By being  stuck supporting all the things I had accumulated and fun and close friendships only when 7,000 miles away I, like almost all Americans really were missing out of life. I vowed to give everything away and move to St Petersburg. 3 weeks later I was standing on the main street of St Petersburg with 2 suitcases with no clue where I would stay, or how to support myself.
That was 15 years ago and it was a great decision, and has been fun, exciting, stimulating and filled with great friends(almost all are beautiful young women). The city is the most educated and cultured of any on earth. The life is low stress, with very low cost of living, lots of opportunities, safe, and 5 million things to do. That is why I am here. I started a couple companies, and have done fine, and now getting back into traveling because my 34 yo GF is crazy about foreign travel. I have been in 87 countries and she has only been exploring for 3-4 years but is catching up with me. She is a very attractive young lawyer, yoga instructor, licensed tour guide, and author with 2 high degrees. I doubt if I have meet anyone here in this city who does not have a university degree.
I used to go back a couple times a year to see family and each trip I put 1-2 pieces of test gear in my suitcases and after a while had enough to do pretty much any sound system or RF system(below 1Ghz) with test get left in my storage unit. I kept 1 car, 1 house and a bunch of gold and platinum RIAA award records, and a couple dozen test gear items.  mostly 80s era HP, Tektronix and Sound Technology. So I keep my fingers in repair, design and mostly help local musicians with their equipment, as a side hobby job, in addition to two incoming tour operator companies I started. We don't watch TV at all, so we have time for an amazing array of business, cultural and relaxation activities.  It really is a nice place to live and with almost none of the stress that is part of life in the US.  One thing that struck me from early on was how distorted the media in the US is about Russia. I doubt if I have seen any place so different than the opinion of those who had never visited.
Long story but the  background was needed to explain the reason I am here.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, Mr.B, bitseeker

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 10:26:01 pm »

Wow, great life story. Congrats on your choices and successes.  :-+
 :clap:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 01:02:43 am »
 That motion controller thing intrigues me. Out of all that nifty stuff, that one I am most curious about.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 01:39:35 am »
Wow, great life story. Congrats on your choices and successes.  :-+
 :clap:

If you do some googling, you'll see that he left out the most interesting parts  :)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 02:34:35 am »
What a story, thanks for sharing KM6XZ.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 08:30:20 am »
Well, the only place they took my wallet out of my jacket without my permission was St. Petersburg. It was at the tube station, a gang of jung teens I suspected in some dirt deals with the two police officers standing there at the station entrance.

Anyway in SC, USA Greenville they took my Ducati Monster Evo 1100 and the engine electronic of my Jeep Wrangler. So to me It´s just statistic, sometime it happens no matters where you are.

Back to the topic, from July 2011 to Dec. 2014 I had the pleasure to work and live in the USA, SC. I was buying everything from Ebay since it was like a gold mine to my poor eyes. I eneded up here in Germany now where a bed is pretty much the only thing which tells this is my bedroom, there rest is test gear I got from ebay US. I still have a box full of 110VAC mains cables...

Looking forward the CatalinaWOW list of goodies, just for curiosity sake.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 11:57:08 pm »
Congrats on the haul, CatalinaWOW! And thanks for the continued photos so we can vicariously enjoy your bounty.

At least 5 HP 3458 meters.
What ? :o Isnt that just typo ?

Yes.

Yeah, if there had been a handful of 3458A, I would've rented a truck to go get the load.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2016, 02:43:36 am »
I have been plowing through the pile, turning on each piece and doing at least a rough check of operation before moving on to the next.  Also doing simple repairs where needed and obvious.  I have touched 70 items so far (with possibly that many more to go) and continue to be really happy.  Less than a dozen set aside for repair, and most of those will be fairly easy, just a little more time consuming than I want to do on the fly.  The only real disappointment so far is the Tektronix 2465 scope which blows fuses instantly.  Doesn't seem likely to end well, but I won't know until I dive in.

There have been some interesting things so far from a troubleshooting standpoint.  A "Made on Monday morning" General Radio five decade resistor that showed open any time the third decade was above four, and often for a variety of other switch positions.  The big problem was a horrible solder joint at that contact.  Wire barely touching, lots of flux in the joint, and what little contact was there was just solder to solder point contact.  In fairness to whoever did the joint at GR it was one of the hardest to reach in the whole assembly but still didn't seem up to GR quality standards.  It was one of the newer ones with circular plastic knobs that show the selection in a row along the top instead of the old style that just pointed around the circle, so maybe the wheels were starting to come off the bus.  Cleaning the contacts finished the refurb of the box, and it now matches my meters to the fourth digit, with the error in the fifth digit varying over the resistance range from zero to just over two counts.

Another was a Fluke 45 multimeter which obviously had lost contact with the front panel contacts.  On opening it up found that this newer meter which is made to comply with CAT I and CAT II standards used a plastic shroud reminiscent of a spark plug connection to connect to the front panel.  It had pushed back to where there was no contact.  Carefully reseating it, including pushing the shroud down around the connection solved the problem.

There is a good obscure instruments test.  Included in this lot was a Technical Associates Mark III Cutie Pie, Model CP6M.  It is going to require some repair, which I think I can pull off successfully.  How many of you out there know what it is and does?  Those of you who know will have a very good guess what the required repair is.

I spy a hp 611X series power supply. >:D

Yes, there were two of them.  A 6114A and a 6115A.  Both working and both accurate to four digits.  The gravy just keeps piling up.

Thats a really nice score.  :-+
If you ever decide to sell that dynamic signal analizer let me know...

Not likely, but I think I saw two in the pile.  If there is a second one I will let you know.

That motion controller thing intrigues me. Out of all that nifty stuff, that one I am most curious about.

Me too, but after getting closer to it, there is less than meets the eye.  An MM3000.  It is basically a chassis into which you can install control modules for various Newport products.  The available modules are mostly stepper drivers, but there may be linear motor controllers too, I just haven't looked into it that much.  Whatever is available, there are none in chassis I have.  Software version is 2.9 for anyone who could make use of the information.

Congrats on the haul, CatalinaWOW! And thanks for the continued photos so we can vicariously enjoy your bounty.

Yeah, if there had been a handful of 3458A, I would've rented a truck to go get the load.

It was a pig in a poke.  There could have been 3458s and it is still possible one will turn up in the remaining bunch.  I have turned up two more 3468s and a number of other things at the bottoms of boxes and otherwise hidden.   I continue to hope, but it is fading quite a bit.

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2016, 03:16:24 am »
There was a stack of 4 fluke LCD dmm's. Do they still have handle's? Because I have one here with a broken handle...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2016, 04:01:03 am »
It was a pig in a poke.  There could have been 3458s and it is still possible one will turn up in the remaining bunch.  I have turned up two more 3468s and a number of other things at the bottoms of boxes and otherwise hidden.   I continue to hope, but it is fading quite a bit.

Yeah, you just never know. Looks like it's turning out to be a really good pig.

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2016, 04:12:30 am »
Unbelievable !!

Great Buy    :-+
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2016, 09:08:08 am »
Back to the topic, from July 2011 to Dec. 2014 I had the pleasure to work and live in the USA, SC. I was buying everything from Ebay since it was like a gold mine to my poor eyes. I eneded up here in Germany now where a bed is pretty much the only thing which tells this is my bedroom, there rest is test gear I got from ebay US. I still have a box full of 110VAC mains cables...

I chopped up all the 110V cables replacing the plug with an Israeli plug.

On the positive side - the US cables are generally much lower gauge than Europe (a fancy way to say thicker conductors) - since @110V one would need twice the current... And most are rated to 250V anyway (as if I would care...)...

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 03:36:13 am »
The list is now essentially complete.  A box full of microscope lights, another box full of SPARC workstation interfaces and several boxes of microwave cables are all that aren't on the list.   I have learned a lot already just finding how to do simple operational tests on some of this gear.  I have also been reminded how easy it is to foul up a storage oscilloscope by an inappropriate combination of settings.  I had almost given up some of the scopes as non-functional when I finally got all of the knobs to appropriate locations.  (I am they weren't left like this by the last operator, someone had to have been doing some uninformed knob twiddling.)

There have been many pleasant surprises here, some disappointments, and lots of food for thought over the next few weeks about what to keep, what to pass on, what to fix and what to scrap.

All comments on any of this stuff is welcome, particularly the stuff marked not tested.  While some things weren't tested because I don't have the equipment, more often it was because I didn't even know where to start.

The attached file is a comma delimited text file to comply with the forums rules.  It will be much easier to read if you import it into Excel or equivalent software.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 04:39:52 pm »
Just curious why you use metric units since you show a US flag.  I cannot imagine where 2000 km is from Van Nuys.

Well, the US Military and NASA are already working in metric measures in most areas, and these days even more and more items in shops now come with metric weights and volumes in addition to imperial ones.

It's just a question of time until the whole country has converted ;)

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 08:14:37 pm »
 Even materials like plywood are now often in metric measurements in the US. Or very odd 64ths sizes because that's what corresponds to what the thickness actually is in mm. Hasn't transitioned to dimensional lumber yet, but give it time, as more and more of the lumber comes sources from other countries.
 In my other hobby it is a huge mismash of units - the scale I work in is, no kidding, someone actually came up with this - 3.5mm to the foot. In ratios it works out to be 1/87. Commonly referred to as HO scale, for Half O. The original O scale was, naturally, 7mm to the foot.

Now back to more nifty test gear....

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2016, 08:29:50 pm »
Just curious why you use metric units since you show a US flag.  I cannot imagine where 2000 km is from Van Nuys.

Well, the US Military and NASA are already working in metric measures in most areas, and these days even more and more items in shops now come with metric weights and volumes in addition to imperial ones.
That's only for export purposes.  US highway signs never have km or kph (dual units were tried and found too confusing/unsafe).

It's just a question of time until the whole country has converted ;)
Nope, now that Britain is going back to Imperial, Europe is sure to follow  :)

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2016, 08:31:20 pm »
All comments on any of this stuff is welcome, particularly the stuff marked not tested.  While some things weren't tested because I don't have the equipment, more often it was because I didn't even know where to start.

If the A6302 and A6303 current probes work, that would definitely cover your costs.  So that might be a fun thing to look at next.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2016, 06:34:58 am »
The list is now essentially complete

That's an impressive equipment list. Even more impressive is how quickly you got through it while learning and testing.

what to keep, what to pass on, what to fix and what to scrap

Good questions. You certainly have lots of source material for repair videos.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2016, 12:38:50 am »

If the A6302 and A6303 current probes work, that would definitely cover your costs.  So that might be a fun thing to look at next.

Testing of the current probes has started.  All show the same symptom, which is overwhelming 60 Hz signal and no visible response to current.  The first step in tracking that down is fixing the broken latches on the current probe amplifier modules so they can be removed from the power module and signals probed.

I have posted that step in the repair section.  Bitseeker, I am just not interested in the effort to do repair videos.  I will take pictures and post text, but video production is just outside my interest and comfort zone.  There are plenty of really bad repair videos out there, in the electronics field and in every other field that I have interest in.  There is no need for me to add to that problem.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2016, 02:02:59 am »
Bitseeker, I am just not interested in the effort to do repair videos.  I will take pictures and post text, but video production is just outside my interest and comfort zone.  There are plenty of really bad repair videos out there, in the electronics field and in every other field that I have interest in.  There is no need for me to add to that problem.

No worries. It was just a general comment, rather than a suggestion. Although I repair/refurbish equipment, I don't do videos of them, either. ;)

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2017, 06:10:43 pm »
A request for something on the list came in for something which had already sold on Ebay.  Time to update the list, which is attached.

Market prices are selected from Ebay.  Not parsed for actual sold values or whatever.  If you want something, message me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf