Author Topic: Frasers equipment re-homing begins  (Read 23510 times)

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Re: Frasers equipment re-homing begins
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2019, 04:26:35 pm »
I was day-dreaming and this scenario popped up in my mind: if the "Frasers equipment re-homing" would take place in a regular shop, people would probably get into a huge fight over the equipment...  :-- I guess that is just human nature, though, and I am no better than the next one.

Also, in my humble opinion, people should refrain from trying to reserve this or that equipment, by posting here saying that they particularily want a given item. I understand that is not easy to overcome, due to the many teasers provided by Fraser...

I think the best would be Fraser to simply list what he wants to sell, perhaps with a minimum price and have people make offers per PM. Fraser could then select the best "customer" for each item, based on price, shipping, friendship, whatever.

Also, instead of having Fraser go through all the trouble documenting each single item with pictures and what not, I would recommend to just make a list of the devices:

- brand
- model
- state (working/not working, as new/good/bad cosmetic appearance - this is probably not even necessary, as I assume all devices are in prestine condition)
- extra info when required (full options, special edition, etc. - anythinig that could raise the value of the device)
- minimum price expected

Fraser has such high reputation, I honestly go by his word and don't require any picture, should I be interested in any item.
And if pictures make a difference, they could be requested by PM - most items would be already sold by then, without a picture...

But I have to say, that my main concern is with Fraser himself:

I hope you are well - I got worried when you mentioned health problems at age 51! Hopefully it is nothing serious and you get well, soon.

I understand the need to get rid of too many items and revert them back to money. Just take care to not sell any item that you will miss afterwards!

Plus, don't let this be any mid-life crisis driving you out of a temporary emotion.

Otherwise, I admire anyone capable of parting with material objects which are no longer required. I am currently not able to do that, as I give each item "my value" instead of the much lower "real value"...

And on topic: Please do make an effort to specify a minimum price and then allow people to make offers. I would not want to give you any insultingly low offer for any of your devices and would actually rather prefer to refrain from making any offer at all!

This puts me in a conflict: wanting get more test equipment at low prices (because that would be the only reason to get them in the first place, as I definitely don't need more test equipment) without having a bad feeling in regards of you (because I truly respect you for your contributions to this forum).

Kind regards,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: Fraser, zzattack

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2019, 08:46:10 pm »
Fear not, no mid life crisis, just a significant change in life priorities !

I have been putting off selling kit for ages and the loss of my Ollie cat just focused my mind on what was truly important to me.

I used to do a lot of weird and wonderful electronics related stuff at work and at home. I progressed from a practitioner to a manager at work and maintained my interest in electronics as my hobby. For the record, having a hobby that is basically an extension of your work life can be unhealthy ! Whilst I was working I earned overtime on special duties and that enabled me to buy the odd piece of equipment, AV equipment and my beloved Mini Moke. I do not seem to have any built in limiter when it comes to buying things I like. As a Gemini, perfectionist and Pessimist, I like to buy "one and a spare"  in case one fails but I often bought several pieces of equipment that had basically the same capability. That could be called greed, but I prefer to say , I just liked nice equipment !

Move forwards to my current situation. I am managing a nasty illness called M.E. aka Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and it has taken seven years to function relatively normally but I know my limits. Hence why I have to be very careful to not become overwhelmed by sales requiring packing of kit. I take great care with packing and it tires me. I still repair the odd item and delve into new purchases as readers of my posts will know. I have found that my lab is stuffed to the gunnels with sophisticated equipment that I do not need to carry out reverse engineering and repairs. Equipment diagnostics and repair requires surprisingly little sophisticated equipment compared to R&D that can require a vast range of signal generation and monitoring systems. I do not want to do R&D at home any more, it turns me into an antisocial hermit and I would rather be paid to do that sort of work at my old employer if that is the way life takes me. My old employer had a name for guys like me who developed technological solution for the Office whilst at home.... "Men in Sheds" they even started an official MiS program to encourage techs to be inventive at home as well as in the office. That was how a lot of clever kit was developed in the "good old days". I am burying that part of my life as its time has come and gone. For me my family now comes first and my long suffering wife needs to see these piles of equipment heading out of the door rather than sitting collecting dust in two rooms of our house ! I have no argument against that desire.

So fear not readers, Fraser has not "lost the plot" and I will keep enough essential core equipment to carry out the sorts of repairs and reverse engineering that I still enjoy. I will continue with my interest in thermal imaging technology but even that needs some  sorting and selling of excess kit. That will be hard as I love the technology. There is a lot of money tied up in cameras that never leave their Pelicases though !

TTFN

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2019, 08:57:09 pm »
My interests are modest.  A thermal camera with a moderate resolution is the only thing I would seek.  Doesn't need to be sophisticated, although some features would be nice.
+1 when Fraser gets around to his spare thermal stuff.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2019, 11:05:20 pm »
Move forwards to my current situation. I am managing a nasty illness called M.E. aka Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and it has taken seven years to function relatively normally but I know my limits.
thats bad, have you tried to do something about it? for example https://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-secret-to-healing-from-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.html for years i experienced back pain that i cant walk straight, until i found the right supplement for it a couple of years ago. i blame myself for being a computer addict sitting 24/7 since i own one 20+ years ago i've been considering a computer is my 1st wife and my wife is the 2nd wife. now i'm combatting the pain with a supplementary pill every day, another pill for the eyes. my eyes also starting up (cannot focus both far and near objects, although i play with near objects like soldering and tinkering every time. and sometime a strain of weird colorful crystals fly over my eyes side to side when its not actually there. i guess at 40+ of age all kind of sickness revealed and being a mechatrommer (jack of all trades) is tough i think. maybe we can change idiom "life begin at 40" to "sicknesses begin at 40". luckily there's not yet a major disaster that can cripple my major work, so i'll try to stay healthy while i can by getting sweat out of my body from time to time, too long inside it can get poisonous. "yoga" or "meditation" to higher spirit several time a day, didnt they the doctor or phd guys study that we need to pause work during the day to stay effective? do not skip sleep, do not consume things that can affect our brain function etc etc. i wish you a much healthier life. cheers.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2019, 06:10:31 am »
I'm local and could do a pickup.

To all locals there, please maybe go there and help Fraser with packing, and maybe ship the stuff for him.
Even if there is nothing for you, a nice chat with him and a walk in his IR Camera Museum it is something you will not find anywhere.

Also,
X-Ray cameras with built in MCP image intensifier
this is something I would die to buy it from his hands. Do I really need it or do I have room in my lab for it?  No of course. :horse:

Fraser I wish all the best for the future, if you will be in Munich one day PM me, I would love to buy you a beer.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:12:12 am by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2019, 08:24:36 am »
Fraser I wish all the best for the future, if you will be in Munich one day PM me, I would love to buy you a beer.
My geography is getting a little rusty, but you list your country as Italy! :) I guess you take it as country of origin rather than current location?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2019, 08:30:36 am »
Yes!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2019, 08:32:23 am »
Move forwards to my current situation. I am managing a nasty illness called M.E. aka Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and it has taken seven years to function relatively normally but I know my limits. Hence why I have to be very careful to not become overwhelmed by sales requiring packing of kit. I take great care with packing and it tires me.
I am sorry to read that.
My wife and younger daughter both have M.E. and have to be very careful what they do. My wife used to run marathons but now has to be very careful not to overdo even comparatively ordinary tasks.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2019, 09:03:44 am »
Yes!
Well I would have thought that its far better to show your current country of residence as opposed to where you where born?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2019, 09:07:59 am »
Well I would have thought that its far better to show your current country of residence as opposed to where you where born?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
It does explain some quirks of the people you're dealing with. You can take the Italian out of Italy..

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2019, 11:35:51 am »
OK,

After all the helpful comments here, I have finalised my selling advertisement plan :)

Here is the précis version of said plan.

1. Items will be listed in this thread to keep things in one place.
2. Items will be photographed and any significant case damage photographed in close-up
3. There will be a basic description that will state what the unit is, it’s basic spec and my opinion of its condition. Any known faults or issues will be detailed.
4. Where shipping restrictions exist, these will be stated.
5. There will be a clear statement detailing “offers over” to provide potential buyers with an idea of where to place offers. I reserve the right to accept offers that are not the highest received. This can be due to offers of collection (no packing) or other helpful aspects of an offer, such as multiple item purchases.
6. Collection is welcomed but not essential in most cases.
7. Shipping will be by UPS due to their excellent rates and quality of service. Other carriers may be discussed on a case by case basis.
8. No warranty is offered or inferred. Any item that is deemed ‘not as described’ may be returned to me for a full refund including postage costs. I am not a cold corporation and want buyers to be happy with their purchases. I have to trust that this offer does not get abused.
9. I will require patience on the part of buyers. I can likely only pack 4 parcels per day due to my illness. I will keep buyers advised of progress and in most cases aim to ship the day after payment is received.
10. Payment will be in one of the following forms and preferably in GB Pounds (£)

Cash On collection
PayPal friends and family (as you are all my friends !)
Bank Transfer, either domestic or international.
Other methods that are safe and do not incur fees for me.

Well I think that covers what I have in mind. Comments are welcomed but please understand the reasons behind this unusual approach and remember I have no intention of fleecing anyone. I have an awful lot of equipment to sell and a challenging health situation so I need to be creative :)

For information.... the offers process does seem to work well. I was contacted via PM regarding some items including a DRS Ultra 6000 camera I advertised. I asked what the buyers wanted to pay for such an item and all of them proposed very fair (not too low or too high) offers. I have been known to counteroffer a lower amount when I think someone is offering too much ! I believe in being fair :) All four items were sold to the buyers at the offer price and both parties are happy with the deal. I have parcels going to Scotland, USA, France and Canada today so you can see I happily ship internationally. I am aware that my sales plan places buyers ‘on the spot’ but, as I have already stated, I am friendly and only get irritated if someone plays a dirty trick on me ! Making an offer that is too low is not insulting. It is just what the buyer wants to pay. Nothing wrong with that. Hopefully my ‘Offers over’ sales entry will help buyers. There will be no harm in offering a little less than the “offers over” figure but some discussion may be needed between us. Do not be afraid of insulting me... remember, this is a friendly forum where talk is good and the buyer is part of a good solution for my current situation :)

Note that responses to offers will not normally be instant. Please be patient.

Best Wishes

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:47:59 am by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, SeanB, tautech, Zucca

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2019, 12:23:26 pm »
Will offers all be done via PM or via posts in this thread?
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2019, 12:29:11 pm »
Oh definitely by PM. I am not intending to run an auction, that would be unfair !

I will also likely accept the first reasonable offer and will not hang out for the best possible offer.... that would also be unfair.

Best Wishes

Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2019, 12:34:02 pm »
For those wondering when all this will ‘kick-off’ ..... I intend to start later today  :)

I am out all afternoon so will set up the photo booth and start posting this evening hopefully.
I am going on a. Expedition into the spare room so will likely be posting a lot of Marconi equipment plus some FLUKE and Advantest bench multimeters. There is another Advantest R3132 Spectrum Analyser In there as well but that may appear another day? Small beginnings for now. If I can easily get to some small stuff in the lab, like multimeters, I will see if I get time to include them as well.

Fraser

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Re: Frasers equipment disposal begins
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2019, 02:04:50 pm »
Just to be really cruel, I will also be rehoming an AOR AR3000A PLUS, an AOR AR5000A PLUS, AOR SDU5000’s (cheap!) , AOR SDU5500’s, ICOM PCR1000 (PC Radio), ICOM PCR2500 (PC Radio), ICOM 7000, ICOM7100, TENTEC 320 HF PC radio. Lots of AOR active loop aerials and a Brand new RF Systems DX One MKII :) (the eggbeater loop) Then there are a large number of Lowe HF receivers, accessories, RF Systems active whip antennas and masses of spares :) (I was one of the main UK sources of HF150 spares).

I have seen AR3000A's going for very good/low prices and resisted buying one.  Back when I was a lad they were expensive.  Still no where near a IC-R9000, which was the price of a cheap house.  As for the SDU5000, I remember seeing an article announcing it, but they never appeared for sale?  I just did a quick search to find the release date but nothing jumped out, must have been several years later.

I was saving up for a HF-150 at one stage, but ended up getting a n'th hand Yaesu FR101D, which never worked right :-(  I still have the Yaesu and matching speaker (hopefully in my parents attic), must be worth a 2nd look at now service manuals etc are available online.

The car insurance renewal quote arrived today, I don't know what hole they pulled €632 from |O How high a risk can middle age man & wife with a sensible car and low mileage be!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:25:19 pm by Towger »

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2019, 02:52:32 pm »
Fraser, my two cents worth.  The pictures you have posted are more than good enough.  No need to improve.  Also as mentioned by others, when the gear can be seen on shelves just snap it there.  Finally, if those pictures are what "dirty" equipment looks like you have done wonders in maintenance.  No need to clean before sale and shipping.  Save your back and energy.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2019, 05:04:46 pm »
Fraser, my two cents worth.  The pictures you have posted are more than good enough.  No need to improve.  Also as mentioned by others, when the gear can be seen on shelves just snap it there.  Finally, if those pictures are what "dirty" equipment looks like you have done wonders in maintenance.  No need to clean before sale and shipping.  Save your back and energy.

I second that. I'm really tempted to make an offer for one of the R3132s - it's hard to resist.
Safety devices hinder evolution

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2019, 06:36:53 pm »
OK, quick forum etiquette question......

I normally attach images and forum members choose to open them, or not.

Some forum members past the image into the free form box so it is instantly visible at a reasonable size.
Should I insert the images into the free form box, and if so, how do you do it. I hit the image insertion icon and it just comes up with image start and stop ‘bookends’. Is such I age insertion bad for some users on limited connection speeds ?

TIA

Fraser

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2019, 06:46:31 pm »
OK, quick forum etiquette question......

I normally attach images and forum members choose to open them, or not.

Some forum members past the image into the free form box so it is instantly visible at a reasonable size.
Should I insert the images into the free form box, and if so, how do you do it. I hit the image insertion icon and it just comes up with image start and stop ‘bookends’. Is such I age insertion bad for some users on limited connection speeds ?

Do whatever is easiest for you, and we'll work it out!

Probably simplest to just "add attachments" and leave it at that.

If you have more than one item in a post, please set the filename to something vaguely informative before you upload it. Even "tek200-1.jpg", "tek200-2 .jpg" etc is sufficient.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2019, 06:48:33 pm »
Many users do it that way:
Attach the picture as usual and submit.
Then edit your post.
Add the image tags to the free form box and paste the link to the uploaded picture (get it by right clicking the thumbnail)
Looks like that (a randomly chosen picture of one of your previous posts):

Otherwise, I agree with tggzzz. The pictures you've uploaded before were just fine the way you did, no need to do anything beyond that.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:50:29 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2019, 07:02:36 pm »
Excellent. Thanks guys. I have my photo booth set up and I am about to start the ‘shoot’  ;D

Watch this space ........

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2019, 07:38:23 pm »
The "For Sale" List begins  :scared:

First sale posting coming next.............

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2019, 07:45:12 pm »
Make: AGILENT (HPAK)
Model 1252B
Type: Multimeter
Includes: All original leads and charger Plus optional U1177A Class 2 BT wireless module
Condition : New Old Stock. Never used.
Offers Over : £200 (By PM please)
Shipping : At cost to worldwide destinations

Comments: This multimeter was purchased as New Old Stock and has been tested for functionality. Its calibration year is 2012. A brand new high quality rechargeable battery was fitted by me after purchase. IIRC I purchased VARTA.

Pictures attached
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:53:37 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2019, 09:17:04 pm »
Make: KEYSIGHT (HPAK)
Model 1231A
Type: Multimeter
Includes: All original leads
Condition : New. Never used.
Offers Over : £25 (By PM please)

Comments: This multimeter is New. Its calibration year is 2017.

Pictures attached
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 07:02:19 am by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2019, 09:27:12 pm »
Make: FLUKE
Model: 8840A
Type: Bench Multimeter
Serial Number: 0009
Includes: Multimeter only
Condition : Good
Offers Over : £50 (by PM Please)

Comments: AC09 and IEEE 05 options are NOT fitted. Handle and handle cheeks not fitted

Specifications: https://nscainc.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/F_8840A-AF.pdf
Manual: https://www.artisantg.com/info/PDF__466C756B655F38383430415F4D616E75616C.pdf

Pictures attached
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:41:07 pm by Fraser »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf