Author Topic: Free Robotic Arm  (Read 4741 times)

Offline SomeoneTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
Free Robotic Arm
« on: October 01, 2012, 06:10:23 am »
Nice and simple, an obsolete (8085) robotic SCARA arm in reasonable mechanical condition. The entire arm transports in the z-axis around 160mm and the table is 400x500mm. All 3 axis are driven by 6 wire steppers and move cleanly, electronics unknown condition.

Come up with a decent use for it and its yours for free, post your ideas here for all to see. Pickup in eastern suburbs of Melbourne or in the bin at the end of the week.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
Re: Free Robotic Arm
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 06:48:14 am »
Trying hard to think of a way to use it with my CNC router and my 3D printer...  ;)

Offline SGInut

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:17 pm »
I'm currently researching making a SCARA pick and place machine to help inspire local elementary school kids get into electronics and robotics.  Not exactly anywhere near you (Maryland USA) however if you would be willing to box it, I'll cover the shipping costs.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 09:16:03 pm »
One of my guys made his own CNC and we have a few ideas for automating some processes around the workshop.  I'm sure we could use it.  If it could be boxed up, I could see if we can use our TNT account to collect? (normally only send stuff out)

Offline SomeoneTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:37:19 am »
however if you would be willing to box it, I'll cover the shipping costs.
Its heavy, but the volumetric weight will dominate the shipping costs. As much as I'd love to send it to you the cost would be $500+

Offline kenihara

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 01:09:50 am »
Hello,

I am in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne as well (Heidelberg / Rosanna area -- 3084).

I recently created a 2 meter robot arm out of cardboard to show kids in schools how robots work (www.thecardboardrobot.com).  It would be great to have a real robot to show them as well. 

Your robot would get a nice new home either in my home lab, or at the Melbourne Hackerspace in Hawthorn (if the guys there agree to adopting it).   I have new electronics for it ready to go.

Thank you for your consideration.

Cheers,
Ken

Offline SGInut

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 01:18:11 pm »
Yea, at $500+ that's hard to cover for a school donation.  Thanks for checking.  Would it be possible for some closeup pics of the mechanics (like the joints, etc) so I can share that with the kids before you let it go (or from whomever picks it up)?  I showed the class the picture of the arm and they were really interested in how those parts worked since they couldn't see any motors in the arm itself.  If not, no worries.

Offline SGInut

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 01:21:54 pm »
I recently created a 2 meter robot arm out of cardboard to show kids in schools how robots work (www.thecardboardrobot.com).  It would be great to have a real robot to show them as well. 

Ken, is your cardboard robot open source hardware?  I'd love to show the kids and see if they would be interested in building one themselves.

Offline kenihara

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 10:11:43 pm »
SGInut - yes, it is open source.  I aim to post the files on the "downloads" section of the website (www.thecardboardrobot.com) in the next few weeks.   Alternatively you can email me (my email address is in the "contact" section of the website).

Cheers,
Ken

Offline OscarFox

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 05:19:54 am »
Oh I can see another project coming on.

This arm would be great mounted on top of my bar fridge and could take a beer (or other refreshment) off of an elevator and drop said chilled beverage into a low powered can canon for easy dispensing to my comfy chair.

What could be better? Beer, electronics (arduino?) robotics, pneumatics and projectiles = heaven.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf