Author Topic: Free to good home (US) Tektronix 531A oscilloscope  (Read 4200 times)

Offline james_sTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Free to good home (US) Tektronix 531A oscilloscope
« on: January 22, 2017, 08:18:26 pm »
Hey all, I've been lurking here and watching Dave's videos for quite some time, finally thought this may be a good place to offer something. I have a classic beast of an oscilloscope, a Tektronix 531A complete with two plugins, dual trace and differential amplifier as well as the manuals. I haven't powered it up in more than a decade and it's just taking up space but I can't bring myself to scrap this beautiful piece of engineering. The leather handles have deteriorated but it otherwise is in good shape. CRT is bright and sharp and last I tried all the major stuff works. I recall noting a problem with the delayed sweep function and finding one dead tube in that circuit but I never got around to fixing it.

I'm located in a suburb just outside of Seattle WA, I'm willing to give this thing away for free on the condition that it goes to a loving home, not just harvested for parts. I mean the engineering and build quality that went into this scope is an artistic masterpiece. I can take a picture if anyone is interested but there are a few of them on ebay (at extremely optimistic prices) and mine looks just like those. It's bulky and heavy, I do not want to try shipping it anywhere.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Free to good home (US) Tektronix 531A oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:25:29 am »
The old Tek scopes are so cool. I'm not in the area, but I hope you find a good home for it.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline capsicum

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 08:50:42 pm »
I'm tempted, but I really shouldn't.... hmmmm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 02:16:51 am »
Well I still have it if you change your mind. I know some people collect these things.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 03:17:13 am »
I would get shot (even though our gun laws would make that difficult).

Thank you for being in the USA.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 01:17:57 pm »
You could try posting the offer on the Tekscopes yahoo group.  I've had some success getting a number of 500 series scopes adopted through them.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 04:50:46 pm »
I can give it a try. I used to use a lot of Yahoo groups but then they revamped everything a few years ago and made the groups completely unusable, all the ones I was on died.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 06:11:21 pm »
Neo made the web interface unusable, but most of the serious members just use the email feed.  If you're a group member, just email to
the group address.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 01:18:11 am »
I am in Portland... and that's a scope I used back in the day. I'd love to have it for my bench here if it is still available. send me a message! Thx - Bill
specialization is for insects.

Offline Kalin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 11:56:56 pm »
Hey all, I've been lurking here and watching Dave's videos for quite some time, finally thought this may be a good place to offer something. I have a classic beast of an oscilloscope, a Tektronix 531A complete with two plugins, dual trace and differential amplifier as well as the manuals. I haven't powered it up in more than a decade and it's just taking up space but I can't bring myself to scrap this beautiful piece of engineering. The leather handles have deteriorated but it otherwise is in good shape. CRT is bright and sharp and last I tried all the major stuff works. I recall noting a problem with the delayed sweep function and finding one dead tube in that circuit but I never got around to fixing it.

I'm located in a suburb just outside of Seattle WA, I'm willing to give this thing away for free on the condition that it goes to a loving home, not just harvested for parts. I mean the engineering and build quality that went into this scope is an artistic masterpiece. I can take a picture if anyone is interested but there are a few of them on ebay (at extremely optimistic prices) and mine looks just like those. It's bulky and heavy, I do not want to try shipping it anywhere.
Is this still available?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 04:37:39 pm »
Well it's been promised to wch but we are still trying to work out a time and place to connect and transfer it over so I'm going to wait a bit before offering it to someone else.

Offline Nightmare4u2c

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 02:41:24 pm »
I'll get in line and see if I have a chance. Live down here in Shelton would be a quick drive if it gets to me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf