Author Topic: FS: [UK] ISO-TECH GFG2004 4MHz DDS Function Generator [SOLD]  (Read 4861 times)

Offline RogerRowlandTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
FS: [UK] ISO-TECH GFG2004 4MHz DDS Function Generator [SOLD]
« on: December 29, 2016, 03:46:00 pm »
Having recently upgraded my 'scope, which now has a built-in wavegen, I have no need of this function generator that I bought last year. In fact, apart from testing it and taking the shots below, I've not yet had any reason to use it!

So, it's a discontinued RS line, but you can find details here: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/function-generators-counters/5138510/

As you can see from the pictures below (NB - 'scope is not included!), it has UK and European(?) power leads, printed manuals in English, French, Spanish, Italian and German, and I've shown the range of waveforms available (sine, square, triangle) - 2kHz in the screenshots - and I've no reason to believe that all of the functionality is not in perfect working order.

UK sale preferred, although I'll consider shipping elsewhere depending on the hassle factor.

EDIT - Price reduced

£65 £45 + shipping at cost or make me an offer. **** SOLD ****

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:18:50 pm by RogerRowland »

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
Re: FS: [UK] ISO-TECH GFG2004 4MHz DDS Function Generator
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 09:02:05 am »
So there must be a reason why I've had 90 odd views and not a single bite  :-//

Even if you're not interested, I'd be grateful for some feedback.

Is it too expensive?
It is not useful?
Can you buy better/cheaper?
Did you spend too much at Christmas?

I've knocked twenty quid off the price, just to see if that helps, but if nobody even comments, I'm not sure what I need to change in order to get shot of this thing. It may end up being Freecycled at this rate .... ho hum  :popcorn:

Offline sainter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 09:21:03 am »
I would guess, that this performance DDS Function Generator could be bought as a kit from ebay for 15-20 $ delivered. So ether people are looking for a function generator or AWG.  And your in the middle of no man's land. But that's my opinion. And I tend to be wrong most of the time :)

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 09:33:30 am »
I would guess, that this performance DDS Function Generator could be bought as a kit from ebay for 15-20 $ delivered. So ether people are looking for a function generator or AWG.  And your in the middle of no man's land. But that's my opinion. And I tend to be wrong most of the time :)

Thanks for that - I'll have another look at eBay, but all of those cheap kits normally only handle around 10KHz rather than 4MHz. Maybe I've missed some though.

I couldn't find the Iso-tech GFG2004 anywhere but it seems to also exist as the Instek SFG-2004, not sure if they are related but they look identical to me. For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Instek-SFG-2004-4-MHz-DDS-Function-Generator-/322354696573 (stupid price, but whatever), or even here: http://cpc.farnell.com/gw-instek/sfg-2004/function-generator-4mhz/dp/IN04400

I guess if nobody really wants it, even for a teardown, I'll end up dumping it, which seems a huge shame because it's in perfect working order and has reasonable specs and although it's bigger than those kits, it's much handier as a benchtop instrument than a bit of PCB flapping around on the end of a BNC cable.

I'll give it a while in case I get any other feedback, but thanks for responding - I was thinking everyone must have gone away for Christmas!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:38:17 am by RogerRowland »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 10:15:32 am »

Thanks for that - I'll have another look at eBay, but all of those cheap kits normally only handle around 10KHz rather than 4MHz. Maybe I've missed some though.

I couldn't find the Iso-tech GFG2004 anywhere but it seems to also exist as the Instek SFG-2004, not sure if they are related but they look identical to me. For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Instek-SFG-2004-4-MHz-DDS-Function-Generator-/322354696573 (stupid price, but whatever), or even here: http://cpc.farnell.com/gw-instek/sfg-2004/function-generator-4mhz/dp/IN04400

I guess if nobody really wants it, even for a teardown, I'll end up dumping it, which seems a huge shame because it's in perfect working order and has reasonable specs and although it's bigger than those kits, it's much handier as a benchtop instrument than a bit of PCB flapping around on the end of a BNC cable.

I'll give it a while in case I get any other feedback, but thanks for responding - I was thinking everyone must have gone away for Christmas!

Typical "competition" at that price point will be something like "24MHz Dual-Channel Arbitrary Waveform DDS Function Signal Generator FY3224S", or for 2MHz there are "Thandar Function Signal Generator TG102 2MHz" devices for £30.

I considered buying your function generator, but it isn't worth your price to me.

If you can't sell it here then would it be worth trying to sell it on fleabay or gumtree?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 10:23:40 am »

I considered buying your function generator, but it isn't worth your price to me.

If you can't sell it here then would it be worth trying to sell it on fleabay or gumtree?

Ok, understood, but then do you want to make me an offer? I really don't want to just dump it - I'd rather give it away. eBay/gumtree are too much hassle so I'd prefer to stay clear of them. I bought this on eBay last year for £79 + shipping, and I'm not expecting to recoup much of that.

Do you want it for £25 + shipping? UK mainland is only £6 or so.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 10:28:04 am »

Ok, understood, but then do you want to make me an offer? I really don't want to just dump it - I'd rather give it away. eBay/gumtree are too much hassle so I'd prefer to stay clear of them. I bought this on eBay last year for £79 + shipping, and I'm not expecting to recoup much of that.

Do you want it for £25 + shipping? UK mainland is only £6 or so.

OK, I'll have it at that price! Will send PM.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 10:39:05 am »
OK, I'll have it at that price! Will send PM.

Then it's yours! Awaiting PM - name/address/phone/email needed for courier, and payment via Paypal ....

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 11:11:15 am »

I've knocked twenty quid off the price, just to see if that helps, but if nobody even comments, I'm not sure what I need to change in order to get shot of this thing. It may end up being Freecycled at this rate .... ho hum  :popcorn:

Spent too much at Christmas, looks like a good piece of kit, clean, tidy, I'd happily pay the £45 and add it to my bench but it's not a piece of equipment I have an immediate need for so priorities...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
Re: FS: [UK] ISO-TECH GFG2004 4MHz DDS Function Generator [SOLD]
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 04:43:32 pm »
For the record, the sig gen arrived safely today.

Hence I regard the OP as a good seller.

The following users thanked this post: RogerRowland

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 07:01:37 am »
I'd say great seller! Very reasonable indeed. I was one of the lurkers - but I'm across the pond, so shipping sunk any chance with me, heh.

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 08:17:57 am »
I'd say great seller! Very reasonable indeed. I was one of the lurkers - but I'm across the pond, so shipping sunk any chance with me, heh.

Thanks, I think the Christmas spirit moved me although there are also some contributing factors which helped. I'm pleased that it was received well and hope the good karma washes over me!

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 12:08:28 pm »
Let's hope so and also that next time you're parting with something that interests me that I've got some spare cash :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf