Author Topic: FS (US): Old Stock SMD Chips, nearly 900 REELS! (some full, & some through hole)  (Read 7465 times)

Online DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
If it helps, I believe if you sell as "for parts/as is" instead of as "used" you don't have any liability to refund anything... and "for parts" certainly describes random reels of components to me.  Ebay's still going to take their 10%, but you're going to get a lot more traffic than most places can offer.  If you can't sell as one huge lot, box sized sounds reasonable (whether that's flat rate or otherwise), but half dozen to a dozen reels at a time may be a sweeter spot for hobbyists, or for those who actually need one or two of the reels in any given lot, of course that means much more shipping effort on your part.

Offline Falcon69Topic starter

• Super Contributor
And PayPal takes their 10% as well.

I like the grab bag idea. But it would have to be reels, otherwise, it will take me for ever to package and label like 100-500 pieces of each in a grab bag.

Online DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Paypal should be something like 3% plus a per transaction fee (under 50 cents), and if you're printing shipping labels through ebay you get something like a 20% discount from retail price on it (though the buyer is charged the full amount), so it's not quite that dire - still a lot of fees, though.

Though they're not exactly up front with it in their main login interfaces, I believe both can tell you the exact fees you'd pay before you actually make a listing or a sale.

• Super Contributor
You are right, except one thing...

Shipping fees are calculated into the final 10% cut that eBay takes as well.  Even if you charge exact shipping cost to the customer, you're paying an additional of 10% of that to eBay.  I understand where they are coming from, it's to stop people from posting items at 1 cent, and then jacking up the shipping to avoid the fees.

I'll start breaking them down soon and posting them I guess.  I can't seem to sell this as a lot unfortunately. I'm not looking for alot, but it seems it's scaring people away because they think I want alot. I'd take 3grand for it all right now, because I just don't really have the time to list it and I will be needing to move soon and don't have the room.

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
I'd take it if it was free shipping LOL.. btw, 3k? all the good offers go to US of A !!!!

• Super Contributor
I know, right?!

It would probably cost 3 grand to ship to Greece!  :-DD

Online DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
It was mentioned in another thread a few days ago, but there are companies that will buy bulk components to inventory and resell.  You may not be able to get 3k for it, but it would be quick and easy, most likely.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
You are right, except one thing...

Shipping fees are calculated into the final 10% cut that eBay takes as well.  Even if you charge exact shipping cost to the customer, you're paying an additional of 10% of that to eBay.  I understand where they are coming from, it's to stop people from posting items at 1 cent, and then jacking up the shipping to avoid the fees.

I'll start breaking them down soon and posting them I guess.  I can't seem to sell this as a lot unfortunately. I'm not looking for alot, but it seems it's scaring people away because they think I want alot. I'd take 3grand for it all right now, because I just don't really have the time to list it and I will be needing to move soon and don't have the room.

I remember when that was a problem. The thing is, the way they do it is complete BS double dipping. If I buy my postage *through ebay* they know exactly how much I paid for it and I can't cheat. It's absolutely ridiculous that they charge you a fee on the shipping even when you buy it through them, there's no excuse, it's pure greed and mafia tactics.

• Super Contributor
i agree, the way they get around this is because technically the shipping label is created with PayPal, and NOT eBay, two different companies, yet owned by the same.

It is definitely double dipping.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
It doesn't matter if it's two different companies or just one, they know exactly how much I paid for postage, so there is no grounds for claiming that it's done to stop skirting around the fees. I can't pad the postage price if ebay knows how much I paid.

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
It doesn't matter if it's two different companies or just one, they know exactly how much I paid for postage, so there is no grounds for claiming that it's done to stop skirting around the fees. I can't pad the postage price if ebay knows how much I paid.

Add the additional fee cost to your handling fee under the shipping options. Easy Peasy.  8)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
That doesn't solve the problem though, ebay still charges a fee based on the full cost of the transaction. My point was that they could just as easily prevent padding by making shipping purchased through them exempt from the fees. Then I would be inclined to sell a lot more stuff, and I'd be willing to ship it worldwide, and they would make more money through volume of sales.

The following users thanked this post: soubitos

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
This is a situation where people are getting their feelings involved. 

Ebay has a fee structure.  It is what it is.  If you have another market available that charges less you are welcome to use it.  There are many other options, and all have their drawbacks.

For example, here in the United States you have Craiglist, which charges no fees whatsoever.  But each listing only goes to one regional market.  It would take probably 150 (lots of work) or more listings to cover the whole US market.   Craigslist also comes with a very different clientele than Ebay, probably not in general more favorable to selling our kind of goods.  It also offers no assistance or protection for the transfer of money and goods.

There are many hamfests and swap meets.  Which charge fees for booths and have a far smaller customer base than Ebay.  And the customer base is generally pretty tight fisted.  You may or may not find a buyer for your widget at any price, let alone the price you want.

The real message is that you have to decide if you want to divest at all and what your goals are (make space, make money, meet people ...) and then pick a market or method that best achieves those goals.  There just isn't any point to complaining about the characteristics of the various markets.  The dump (or tip for those speaking that brand of English) might be the best option, and it is futile to complain that the dump isn't paying full market value for the things you are disposing.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, tpowell1830

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
That doesn't solve the problem though, ebay still charges a fee based on the full cost of the transaction. My point was that they could just as easily prevent padding by making shipping purchased through them exempt from the fees. Then I would be inclined to sell a lot more stuff, and I'd be willing to ship it worldwide, and they would make more money through volume of sales.

It solves the problem for all practical purposes, the fee structure is defined in advanced, just add those additional costs to what you want to make. Of course they could do that, but you can also just charge more to compensate for the padding. I think this is an unfortunate case of the bigger dog "wins".  ;D

FWIW: I dont really care for Ebay and only sell things on Ebay that will fetch silly prices vs craigslist.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
That doesn't mean I can't bitch about it. I hate ebay and if it were up to me I'd make the double dipping they do a criminal offense but it's not up to me so all I can do is complain, avoid using them whenever a viable alternative exists, and badmouth them and their policies at any opportunity.

They could make more money from me and others if they would make more reasonable policies so as to not piss us off because I'd use their services far more but that's their business. Due directly to the fee structure I rarely sell anything there at all so they make zero in fees from me.

• Super Contributor
I agree. I rather sell on places like forums and craigslist (all though, sometimes with craigslist, you have to be armed....some crazy people out there).

Selling here (or other forums) and craigslist doesn't reach as many people, but, then again you don't have to jack your price up either, just to cover eBay's fees.  Ebay used to be better at protecting both the seller and the buyer, now, it's all about protecting the buyer.

So, with that said, let's keep the flaming down, we all have our views on the topic, let's just get back to selling!

Offline EHT

• Frequent Contributor
eBay has its problems, but its easiest and has global reach.

I would buy if rather than selling per reel (1,000s of the same value - thus no use to a hobbyist) you chopped off a few lengths from many reels to give a mixed bag. If you found a suitable size packaging you could make up loads all the same size/weight to make shipping easier - you can lookup the shipping rates once and know that they'll all follow. This will give you a continual cash flow and be useful to people hanging out here!

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
I would buy if rather than selling per reel (1,000s of the same value - thus no use to a hobbyist) you chopped off a few lengths from many reels to give a mixed bag. If you found a suitable size packaging you could make up loads all the same size/weight to make shipping easier - you can lookup the shipping rates once and know that they'll all follow. This will give you a continual cash flow and be useful to people hanging out here!
I agree that would be a great service to us, but it sucks as the seller. He'd probably make more money throwing it all in the trash and spending the time he'd spend clipping 50 components off a bunch of reels and driving to the post office working at a Starbucks instead.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
When I sell stuff like that I usually use USPS flat rate boxes, the small ones can hold a lot of small bits and the postage isn't too bad. You can pack and print the shipping at home, then either take a weekly run to the post office or request a pickup.

• Super Contributor
I could do something like that.

Cut 25, 50 or 100 off each reel, put them in a flat rate shipping box (small or medium, whatever they fit into), and charge something like $50, $100, and $200 for them plus shipping.

But, I would have to spend some time doing that and making the list to correspond with the number on each bag, which I would have to purchase some lbels and bags to put them in.

I could do it, would give me something to do for the next couple weeks.  That is, if people are interested in that.  But if I have to go eBay on this, I'll add the 10% on top of that and the 3-5% for Paypal (whatever that it is).   If we just want to do it through here, and pay with paypal (i think if you send as friend/family they dont charge fee?), then that would be great if we get enough people who want.

• Super Contributor
hmm, i just looked at list again....what I would have to do is break down the list by percentage, like if I have 5000 of one, then that would be 25 pieces. But if only 120 of one, that would be only 5 pieces of that one, to try and keep it all equal.  Like a percentage of the whole lot I listed in each breakdown. Then if you just want four of the packets (i.e. 100 of each as stated above), then just order four and I'd try and cram those into a small flat rate box (might be a medium), whatever. If I can shove as much into a small flat rate I can, if not, it would be shipping for what's in a medium box.  I'm not sure on how much shipping costs, I would have to know your country/state/zipcode after I know how much you want.

I'll look to see how much the labels and plastic baggies cost.  I don't need anti static, even for the Ferrite Beads and Electrolytics?

• Super Contributor
3x5 bags are 60.88 for 10,000.  That means at 10,000 and 900 different parts, that equals $5.48 per order it would cost me to bag them up.

I don't know if that's worth while then.  I'd have to raise those prices above abit.

Online DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
I think the bigger concern would be the immense amount of time you'd have to spend measuring out the right number of parts then writing on them what they actually are.  Even if you get quick and can do 10-15 seconds a piece for that.... that's still a minimum of several hours of labor if you're gonna do a thousand individual strips.

I would go with either full reels, big strips (like a quarter reel or something), or just sell whatever as a grab bag and not bother with dividing things up in any particular way.  Putting all the work in would get you a wider perspective consumer base, since it would be more appealing to hobbyists looking for a selection of parts but nothing in particular... but it hardly seems worth the effort.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
When quantities available are large enough, it's easy to just estimate. Advertise 100 of a given part and cut off a piece long enough that it contains a few more than that, no need to count them precisely.

Whatever the case, grab bags like this need to be priced appropriately for them to move, pennies on the dollar compared to new components that can be ordered in exactly the values and quantities needed for a project.

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
When quantities available are large enough, it's easy to just estimate. Advertise 100 of a given part and cut off a piece long enough that it contains a few more than that, no need to count them precisely.

Whatever the case, grab bags like this need to be priced appropriately for them to move, pennies on the dollar compared to new components that can be ordered in exactly the values and quantities needed for a project.

Actually you can cut tape by measuring it!
ie for 0805 parts, 10cm is 25pcs
All you need is a ruler, steady hands and a sharp cutter!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf