Author Topic: Fs: Power Designs Parts  (Read 12390 times)

Offline timbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Re: Fs: Power Designs Parts
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 10:24:33 am »
I found the broken switch handle that went flying. Just looked down from my seat and there it was.  :palm:

Haha, damn, isn't that annoying? One time I was taking apart a S&W .40 cal semi-auto and a small spring that's part of the trigger mechanism shot out, hit the wall, landed on the bench and then rolled off onto the floor. I searched everywhere for it. I literally ripped half the garage apart, got down on the floor with a flashlight, used a magnet, etc.

I couldn't find it, so I moved on... (As an aside, S&W has the best customer service ever; I called them, a real live person in the US answered and they shipped me a replacement spring via UPS 3-day, 100% free!) ...2 years later I found the original spring, on the floor at the corner of the workbench. I *know* it wasn't there all that time.

It is a mystery.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 09:52:47 pm »
LOL! Exactly. It doesn't pay to go crazy trying to find stuff. Just let it go and it'll be back.

Oh, and it appears that this handle is just a single piece, no screw-on end. I guess they used different ones of these as well in various supplies.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline dgminala

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 07:52:13 pm »
I need a complete oven assembly for a 2005A power supply.  It's for a unit that's been on my shelf for several years.  Bought from an unscrupulous Ebay seller that I never got satisfaction from, someone (obviously very unskilled) took it apart and apparently lost or disposed of most of the stuff inside the oven.
If you  (or anyone listening) has one to sell, contact me   
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Thanks!!
Dave M

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 02:22:47 am »
Dave, timb's original post has a photo of the voltage reference board that's inside the oven. Do you still have the outer shell of the oven to put it into? If so, see if timb still has the board available for sale.

Offline dgminala

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 06:39:07 pm »
Dave, timb's original post has a photo of the voltage reference board that's inside the oven. Do you still have the outer shell of the oven to put it into? If so, see if timb still has the board available for sale.

Yeah, the shell is about the only thing that's still intact in my unit.  And I saw the pic of the guts of the oven... thought it was from a 2005A but wasn't sure.  Hope he still has the oven heater as well, otherwise, I'll have to figure a way to make it.  Any idea as to the power the heater is designed to handle or the heater resistance?
Thanks for the tip.  How to contact timb?

Dave M

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 09:41:34 pm »
I'm not sure of the specifics of the oven's heater element. Tim's done a lot more work on the 2005 models. You can message him by going to his post and clicking on the speech bubble icon below his username on the left side of the post. The tooltip for it is "Personal Message". You can include a link to your post, which is as follows: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-power-designs-parts/msg1241819/#msg1241819

Offline dgminala

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 12:38:22 am »
I'm not sure of the specifics of the oven's heater element. Tim's done a lot more work on the 2005 models. You can message him by going to his post and clicking on the speech bubble icon below his username on the left side of the post. The tooltip for it is "Personal Message". You can include a link to your post, which is as follows: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-power-designs-parts/msg1241819/#msg1241819

Thanks for the pointers.  Sent a msg to timb; waiting for his response.
Dave M

Offline timbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Fs: Power Designs Parts
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2017, 02:16:53 am »

Thanks for the pointers.  Sent a msg to timb; waiting for his response.
Dave M

I sent you a detailed reply a few days back. Let me know if you got it!

I also wanted to point out o everyone else following the thread that I will be (finally) offering my custom thermostat replacement kits to the forum soon. I've had two of them being tested in real 2005 and 2005As for several months and both seem to be working perfectly. They hold the oven temperature within 0.5c of the set point, compared to the original mechanical thermostat which had a 5c variance.

My solution doesn't require you to remove the original thermostat (which is a massive job) but does require a small hole to be drilled in the top of the outer oven casing, to feed a small bead thermistor into. The temperature control circuit is analog (no MCU or clock to inject noise into the PS output) and uses a PZV (Proportional Zero Voltage) control method. The heater itself is controlled by a small SSR. Control of the SSR is, essentially, PWM with a looong period (10 seconds in this case).

There are also provisions for an extra board to be installed onto the heater control PCB which will provide an output for an RGB led to indicate oven temperature (blue when near ambient, moving to red when >10c over set point). This LED could replace the existing oven lamp on the 2005/A.

The heater control PCB will also let you select whether you want to oven to run 24/7 or only when the PS is on (the latter option requires you to run a wire from the main power switch to the board).

Hopefully I'll have these available for sale by the end of July or early August. :)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

The following users thanked this post: idpromnut, bitseeker

Offline BarryBreaux

• Contributor
  • Electrical Engr, Control Systems Engr, Retired
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2023, 05:54:38 pm »
Is this circuit available?
Barry Breaux

Offline The Doktor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2023, 02:22:50 pm »
timb hasn't been here for over 4 years, sorry.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf