Author Topic: FS: used tektronix tds2012c, Good  (Read 1139 times)

Offline AlienTopic starter

FS: used tektronix tds2012c, Good
« on: November 09, 2018, 07:25:29 pm »
Hi guys

I'm trying to sell this oscilloscope I inherited from my Dad a few months back.
I know nothing about it other then it turns on and seems to work.
I have an EBay posting for it here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153213760260

Yesterday I had a gentlemen who saw it on Craigslist come by the house and take a look at it and couldn't seem to dial it in. He attached the probes to the ends of some RCA jacks that were plugged in to a camcorder. The wave patterns had some noise in it, looked exactly like the pics in the owners manual. (pg.12 and Application Examples chapter) I pointed that out to the guy that the instructions on how to tighten up the wave forms are right here in the book (that he had no interest of reading though) and he said "this is a 100MHz and I think I need a 200MHZ it just isn't strong enough." So, I have no idea if he's right or if he had no idea what he was doing. Knowing my Dad I'm pretty sure that it's calibrated. Some advise on it would be nice.

Thx for viewing,
Dave

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: FS: used tektronix tds2012c, Good
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 07:35:13 pm »
Hi guys

I'm trying to sell this oscilloscope I inherited from my Dad a few months back.
I know nothing about it other then it turns on and seems to work.
I have an EBay posting for it here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153213760260

Yesterday I had a gentlemen who saw it on Craigslist come by the house and take a look at it and couldn't seem to dial it in. He attached the probes to the ends of some RCA jacks that were plugged in to a camcorder. The wave patterns had some noise in it, looked exactly like the pics in the owners manual. (pg.12 and Application Examples chapter) I pointed that out to the guy that the instructions on how to tighten up the wave forms are right here in the book (that he had no interest of reading though) and he said "this is a 100MHz and I think I need a 200MHZ it just isn't strong enough." So, I have no idea if he's right or if he had no idea what he was doing. Knowing my Dad I'm pretty sure that it's calibrated. Some advise on it would be nice.

Thx for viewing,
Dave
You could test basic functionality by hooking up the probes and attaching those to the upper little lug on the bottom right of the screen, next to the USB port. You should be able to see a square wave. If both channels show a square wave when hooked up, it's a pretty decent indication nothing major is wrong with the oscilloscope.

Calibration is a matter of having paperwork to go along with it, or a calibration sticker on it. Oscilloscopes are perfectly usable without a current calibration. Most people don't bother with having their oscilloscopes calibrated by a lab.

Offline AlienTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 07:45:25 pm »
Thx for the quick response,

I did see him do that, what I didn't see him do was the probe adjustment on pg.7 of the users manual.

Users Manual:
https://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/tds1002-manual/tds1000-and-tds2000-series-user-manual

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 10:25:08 pm »
If your quote is accurate, I'd kinda go with he doesn't know what he's talking about.  You get all kinds on Craigslist.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 03:55:29 am »
next time someone brings a random thing to hook into your scope, hit the autorange button.

also you should have specific trigger modes to catch video signals if you go into the trigger menu.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf