Author Topic: HP 3478A $40 BIN USA  (Read 15421 times)

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HP 3478A $40 BIN USA
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2018, 05:19:40 am »
If you're interested in selling any of the repaired meters.....   ;)

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2018, 06:36:37 am »
A bit of a long shot maybe, but I have one of these meters I am repairing.
It all works and passes checks, but the AC current and AC voltage functions don't work.
I've traced it to a faulty 1QF7-0067 (U102), so I am trying to track one down.

Does anyone have one of these parts, working or not, that they are willing to sell?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2018, 07:19:15 am »
A bit of a long shot maybe, but I have one of these meters I am repairing.
It all works and passes checks, but the AC current and AC voltage functions don't work.
I've traced it to a faulty 1QF7-0067 (U102), so I am trying to track one down.

Does anyone have one of these parts, working or not, that they are willing to sell?

They are as rare as rocking horse shit. I wonder if the same/similar hybrid from the 3457a would work? I've never looked at them that closely, but they are available. I always thought they were identical, but just noted they are different part numbers. Might have to look at the schematics to see if I can pick the difference.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2018, 10:40:23 am »
Yeah, I would even take one from an otherwise dead unit.

I want to strip it down to see if it could be reverse engineered with common parts, but I don't want to potentially sacrifice my otherwise good meter (besideds the AC ranges).

Would be cool to be able to build a replacement addin board from discreet components.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2018, 10:40:50 pm »
I took a couple of pictures of the PCB since I was replacing the RIFA and electrolytics and the battery.  Here is the top and bottom.  You can see how clean it is.  I didn't clean the PCB before I started.  You can also see how bad the RIFA caps are.  I did the electrolytics as I was replacing the RIFA caps anyway and they were the original electrolytics.  They were replaced with proper Nichicon capacitors.  Now, I am waiting for the power buttons from bratster and then it will go to ordinaryman for a basic calibration.  For the record, I used my isolation transformer with my soldering station so as not to short anything out.  The bezel and case cleaned up very well with some simple green

Total cost to date (rounded to nearest dollar):
meter and shipping-----$58
parts and shipping------$27
buttons and shipping---$15
Total so far--------------$100

If I can get away with under $40 shipping both ways to ordinaryman, that would make the total investment in a calibrated meter with new caps and battery for about $140 USD.  I think I have done OK.  They are going on evilBay right now for $100 BIN and up uncalibrated and unknown battery/cap condition.  The 2 listed with calibration are $325 and up.  I will be very happy at the end of the process.  The next pics I post will be the buttons that I receive from bratster.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2018, 01:49:30 am »
It is nice and clean inside. Glad to hear all went well with the battery change. Those RIFA caps are quite cracked — disasters waiting to happen.

I didn't pay attention earlier, but seeing inside I noticed you have the earlier revision that uses toroid transformers for communicating between the analog and digital sides instead of opto-isolators. I like the enclosures that HP used for those 3478A as they have more metal, less plastic.

In fact, a dead 3478A of similar vintage is on its way to me. Will it be a cinch or a disaster? Only time will tell.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2018, 02:48:53 am »
Thanks to the Blog and all the horror stories I have read about exploding RIFA caps, that was the first thing I looked for when I opened it up.  Then I measured the battery and it read 70 mV--I think it might have been dead.  I changed the electrolytics as the board looks like it never had any rework outside of a possible battery change in the past.  There was a little flux residue near one of the pins.  Hopefully, the meter will stay happy for years and I hope yours turns out to be as easy as mine has been so far.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2018, 05:26:23 am »
Yep, will let you know when I get it. Looking forward to seeing your final wrap up after calibration.

Offline Bratster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2018, 05:38:46 am »
I took a couple of pictures of the PCB since I was replacing the RIFA and electrolytics and the battery.  Here is the top and bottom.  You can see how clean it is.  I didn't clean the PCB before I started.  You can also see how bad the RIFA caps are.  I did the electrolytics as I was replacing the RIFA caps anyway and they were the original electrolytics.  They were replaced with proper Nichicon capacitors.  Now, I am waiting for the power buttons from bratster and then it will go to ordinaryman for a basic calibration.  For the record, I used my isolation transformer with my soldering station so as not to short anything out.  The bezel and case cleaned up very well with some simple green

Total cost to date (rounded to nearest dollar):
meter and shipping-----$58
parts and shipping------$27
buttons and shipping---$15
Total so far--------------$100

If I can get away with under $40 shipping both ways to ordinaryman, that would make the total investment in a calibrated meter with new caps and battery for about $140 USD.  I think I have done OK.  They are going on evilBay right now for $100 BIN and up uncalibrated and unknown battery/cap condition.  The 2 listed with calibration are $325 and up.  I will be very happy at the end of the process.  The next pics I post will be the buttons that I receive from bratster.
Would you mind sharing the part numbers for the replacement capacitors you used?

Sent from my Fi Moto x4 using Tapatalk

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2018, 12:27:10 pm »
Would you mind sharing the part numbers for the replacement capacitors you used?
Sent from my Fi Moto x4 using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Bratster, I assume you mean the RIFA caps.  Here are the part numbers:

.022 uF Digi-key part number 399-5413-ND, manufacturer part number PME271Y522MR30
1000 pF Digi-Key part number 399-5409-ND, manufacturer part number PME271Y410MR30
                                                399-7491-1-ND                                                PME271Y410MR19T0

EDIT, Sorry Bratster, I was trying to go from memory.  I found my invoice and have corrected the part numbers for the 1000 pF RIFA cap
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:26:49 pm by GreyWoolfe »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2018, 01:06:55 pm »
but I have lived in Hollywood Beach and Hallandale Beach.

Hallandale! I''ve been there, summer 1979, Motel Sun Aqua :-)
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2018, 02:21:27 pm »
but I have lived in Hollywood Beach and Hallandale Beach.

Hallandale! I''ve been there, summer 1979, Motel Sun Aqua :-)

I lived there in the mid 90's.  The apartment wasn't that far from the beach.  Nice little beach with a boardwalk.

Offline chekhov

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2018, 07:40:16 pm »
Two more units: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292757399598?, with button  8) !!!
Well, probably rather good opportunity, especially when don't need to pay x3 price for delivery. :-BROKE

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2018, 06:51:13 am »
Two more units: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292757399598?, with button  8) !!!
Well, probably rather good opportunity, especially when don't need to pay x3 price for delivery. :-BROKE
The nerve of some people. "Good cosmetic condition"  :palm: It's hardly the worst I've ever seen, but it's certainly well used.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2018, 10:39:21 am »
Considering the competition going for more and in considerably worse condition, it is actually quite good!

This is what you call cosmetically challenged

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2018, 11:28:48 am »
Considering the competition going for more and in considerably worse condition, it is actually quite good!

The fact that a turd tastes worse than your cooking doesn't make the latter haute cuisine. ;D

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline chekhov

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2018, 12:15:32 pm »
Neither two of meters above are in really bad conditions from the outside (compare to this https://www.ebay.com/itm/222396890942?). And, what to expect from 29-30 year old gear ?
It goes without saying that you have to disassemble it and wash, at least front panel, buttons - only after that I will feel comfortable to work with such instrument.
The more important are possible scratches (which may mean physical damage) and internals - here is where dust it less wanted.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2018, 05:36:51 pm »
This will probably be the last post.  I received the buttons from Bratster.  Brett, thank you very much.  The buttons look great and are a nice tight fit on the shafts.  I also added a couple of pics of the feet I used.  I have a small quantity of these and they set the meter at a nice height.  More importantly, they were free!!  Now I need to see what I can get rid of to pay for the calibration. :-DMM

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2018, 06:02:42 pm »
That worked out nicely, GW. :-+

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2018, 07:05:32 pm »

Believe it or not, I was half tempted just to have the old style label maker sticker that says Electronic Warefare. :-DD

That worked out nicely, GW. :-+

Very happy to have no borked power button.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2018, 08:46:30 pm »
UPDATE:  I just got a PM from Ordinaryman1971.  The calibration is done and the meter is on its way back to me.  I can't thank him enough for his kindness.  It took awhile because he's been very busy but I am grateful for his help.  Thanks, again, OM. :-+ :-+ :-DMM :-DMM :-DMM

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2018, 10:38:31 pm »
Great!
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2018, 11:58:41 pm »
That's great news GW. I bet you can't wait to measure something. ;D

Offline Haasje93

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2018, 10:46:39 pm »

Offline Ordinaryman1971

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2018, 08:46:00 pm »
By the way... if anybody needs 5 or 6 digit meter calibrated I'm more than happy to help. I have all the gear... just little time.
So, if you are in a pinch give me a pm and I can do it for you. It's completely free to all eevblog members, you just have to pay for the shipping to Chicago and back. Or if you close-by you can always drop it off.
I also have some parts for those meters, I can print buttons too, lol. Color of your choice... I have black and also... black and if you really insist I have black as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf