Author Topic: HP 3478A $40 BIN USA  (Read 15398 times)

Offline JwallingTopic starter

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Re: HP 3478A $40 BIN USA
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 09:36:13 am »
Crap. So I guess the battery has already gone flat. Are you able to do a proper cal?
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 10:57:10 am »
Crap. So I guess the battery has already gone flat. Are you able to do a proper cal?

Unfortunately, I do not.  There is a company, express test, on eBay that will do a calibration for $75 plus shipping.  After I replace the battery and any caps that might need replacing, I will probably save some coin and get it done so I have at least 1 accurate meter.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 12:33:41 pm »

Unfortunately, I do not.  There is a company, express test, on eBay that will do a calibration for $75 plus shipping.  After I replace the battery and any caps that might need replacing, I will probably save some coin and get it done so I have at least 1 accurate meter.

That sucks, more than the meter costs. I wish you had had a better outcome, sorry.
Might want to check TMI and get a quote from them:
https://www.tmicalibration.com/services/calibration/

They're in FL so it may save you some on shipping... They're in Palm Harbor, is that close enough to drop it off?
Jay

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 04:58:51 pm »

That sucks, more than the meter costs. I wish you had had a better outcome, sorry.
Might want to check TMI and get a quote from them:
https://www.tmicalibration.com/services/calibration/

They're in FL so it may save you some on shipping... They're in Palm Harbor, is that close enough to drop it off?

No, they aren't.  They are on the other side of the state, a couple of hours drive.  One thing at a time, I will get the battery replaced first.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 08:22:41 pm »
You want to send it back to the seller?
They should have disclosed that it powers up with "uncalibrated"  :--
Jay

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 09:38:06 pm »

Absolutely. If it's "used" it is expected to work as a new one, but that it's just already used. Send it back for a refund.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 01:06:10 am »

Absolutely. If it's "used" it is expected to work as a new one, but that it's just already used. Send it back for a refund.

Sending it back is probably for the best.  It was not represented properly and at the end of the day, I do not have the extra money to spend on calibration. Jay, which one of us needs to initiate the return?  You bought it but had it sent to me.  Who knows, maybe the seller will refund the $40 and say keep the meter.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 01:09:24 am »
Who knows, maybe the seller will refund the $40 and say keep the meter.

It's too bad about the meter GreyWoolfe, but yes in many cases I've had the seller will just say keep it. I've had that happen for items up to about $10, might happen in this case.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 01:30:35 am »
Since it was purchased by Jay, the return has to be initiated from his account, AFAIK. If they want the item back, they'll send him a return label (usually via eBay), which he can then email to you (print to PDF), and you can print and affix to the package to send the item back. Some vendors don't want the added expense of return shipping and might opt to forgo the return and simply issue a refund (Amazon often does that, too, on inexpensive items).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 02:42:56 am »

It's too bad about the meter GreyWoolfe, but yes in many cases I've had the seller will just say keep it. I've had that happen for items up to about $10, might happen in this case.

If I can get the $40 back and keep the meter, that money can go into the cookie jar toward getting the meter calibrated.  If I get to keep it, I may ask in the voltnuttery section if someone could do a basic cal for fewer shekels than a NIST calibration.  I certainly don't need that level.  If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.  Let's see if Jay can work some magic on a misrepresented meter.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 02:49:51 am »
If I can get the $40 back and keep the meter, that money can go into the cookie jar toward getting the meter calibrated.  If I get to keep it, I may ask in the voltnuttery section if someone could do a basic cal for fewer shekels than a NIST calibration.  I certainly don't need that level.  If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.  Let's see if Jay can work some magic on a misrepresented meter.

Well as you are probably aware, you can get into the cal procedure easily enough per the service maual. If you keep it and replace the battery, go ahead and play with the cal. You can get some modes calibrated well enough by referencing it to your best meter for the time being. You can probably get quite a few useful parameters calibrated good enough to use, until you decide who to send it to.  :-/O

Offline SirAlucard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 03:44:45 am »
Here is one on auction in Vancouver, BC, Canada, right now $1!

https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/12204/item/multimeter-and-function-generator-a-1114465/

Yea but look how crusty that looks compared to how nice the one he received looks.

Also I see no reason to return the meter, sure its not calibrated, but at that price even a self calibration is worth it. Eventually when I get a proper bench meter I pretty much expect it to not be correctly calibrated (cause I'll likely end up finding a cheap one that hasn't been used in a while). Where on the east side of FL are you? I myself am in Palm Beach County.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:51:34 am by SirAlucard »

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 09:41:15 am »

Sending it back is probably for the best.  It was not represented properly and at the end of the day, I do not have the extra money to spend on calibration. Jay, which one of us needs to initiate the return?  You bought it but had it sent to me.  Who knows, maybe the seller will refund the $40 and say keep the meter.

I'll initiate the return. I'll let you know when I hear something.
Sorry about this... If there had been a picture with the meter showing "uncalibrated" I wouldn't have started this thread.
Jay

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 10:56:06 am »

I'll initiate the return. I'll let you know when I hear something.
Sorry about this... If there had been a picture with the meter showing "uncalibrated" I wouldn't have started this thread.
Jay, no need for you to apologize, this is on the seller, not you.  I'm glad that I hadn't thrown away the box yet.  Let's see what the seller will do.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 10:20:14 pm »
Here is an update.  Jay, don't worry about the return.  I just received a notice from someone who is blessing me with a DMM Check + with enclosure.  I'm sure that I can do a good enough calibration with it to get rid of the uncalibrated message. :-DMM  I just need to get the battery and replace it.

If the seller is willing to do a refund without shipping the meter back for the misrepresentation, that's fine.  If he wants the meter back, let him know that I will keep it and cancel the refund.

Where on the east side of FL are you? I myself am in Palm Beach County.

Volusia County.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2018, 11:16:49 pm »
$40? No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2018, 11:32:37 pm »
Here is an update.  Jay, don't worry about the return.  I just received a notice from someone who is blessing me with a DMM Check + with enclosure.  I'm sure that I can do a good enough calibration with it to get rid of the uncalibrated message. :-DMM  I just need to get the battery and replace it.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'd be surprised if you could usefully calibrate any range on that meter with a DMM Check. The 3478a needs to calibrated at the top of each range to get close to any form of accuracy. In some cases it is required to even get it to attempt the calibration.

You could dump a config into it from someone else's meter. That would make the uncalibrated message go away and it'd probably be just as accurate (ie not at all).

It really does require a calibrator of some kind with the right voltages and resistances to get it vaguely within spec.

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 12:01:36 am »

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'd be surprised if you could usefully calibrate any range on that meter with a DMM Check. The 3478a needs to calibrated at the top of each range to get close to any form of accuracy. In some cases it is required to even get it to attempt the calibration.

You could dump a config into it from someone else's meter. That would make the uncalibrated message go away and it'd probably be just as accurate (ie not at all).

It really does require a calibrator of some kind with the right voltages and resistances to get it vaguely within spec.

I agree with Brad. I've calibrated a few a number of years ago, and I have a EDC 521 and a Fluke 5200A (which is getting a bit flaky). For the R I used a decade box and a Keithley 2015 for accurate readings.
I don't think you'll be able to get into the ranges that the meter needs. Have a look at the service manual for the calibration process.

If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and have it calibrated right, or send it back. Please let me know...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:04:09 am by Jwalling »
Jay

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 03:02:49 am »

Unfortunately, that won't be enough to fully calibrate the DMM. It's OK for doing a sanity check of a few values to know that a meter isn't completely out of whack. At most, you might be able to calibrate a minority of ranges with it, but it'll be at less than the meter's full resolution (it'd be OK for a 3.5- or 4.5-digit DMM).

Unless you already have a DMM that's an order of magnitude better than this 3478A or has recently been calibrated, I'd recommend either (1) get it properly calibrated to become your lab "reference" meter or (2) return it.

If you do get it calibrated, most lab-grade DMMs will be stable enough that you won't have to calibrate it again for years, depending on conditions and your particular requirements.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:04:42 am by bitseeker »

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2018, 03:45:53 am »
For 40$   i would gladly pay 75$ to get it calibrated, if the meter is clean, not damaged on the electronics, not tampered  etc ... and need only a new battery   

Go for it

Even other 3478A on Ebay who sell higher priced, you don't have any certitude it will 100% on specs ?? even if they write working in the description ...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:49:05 am by coromonadalix »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2018, 04:24:19 am »
Yes, $115 for a calibrated 3478A with certificate is still a great deal. :-DMM

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2018, 01:24:40 pm »
As a sometimes buyer of very inexpensive ebay deals I have a question. After putting in the battery, would you be likely to know if there are any other faults that would make calibration impossible without repair? If you send it off to the cal lab and they tell you this is the case after getting into it, are you still liable for the $75 fee? I am curious if this is a situation where you just keep getting in deeper dollar wise and still wind up without a working meter. Thanks, your neighbor to the south :)

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2018, 02:41:26 pm »
Maybe ask Lmester for the software, it read and write calibration ???

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/free-hp3478a-multimeter-control-program/

If we could take an backup of an already calibrated 3478a  and push it to yours,  you could do some checks if it seem working on all ranges, sure you would have some values discrepancies but it should make it work, and clear the uncalibrated warning ???

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2018, 02:48:24 pm »
As a sometimes buyer of very inexpensive ebay deals I have a question. After putting in the battery, would you be likely to know if there are any other faults that would make calibration impossible without repair? If you send it off to the cal lab and they tell you this is the case after getting into it, are you still liable for the $75 fee? I am curious if this is a situation where you just keep getting in deeper dollar wise and still wind up without a working meter. Thanks, your neighbor to the south :)

I have an Fluke calibration facility near me, they will charge minimum 75$ cad, the price will depend of the type of meter scope etc etc ...

They will try to calibrate the meter,  if they cant do an full calibration, they will put an NFC (not fully calibrated) with an tracking sticker on it. You'll know what doesn't work with the report ... 

But you wont get an refund since they will work on it ...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:50:04 pm by coromonadalix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf