Author Topic: [FREE] trio 15MHz oscilloscope cs-1560A [pick it up in Denmark]  (Read 4311 times)

Offline zieglerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
So I have had a trio 15MHz oscilloscope cs-1560A lying around, but I have not used it in the 4 years I have own it. I don't own any probes for it, so I have never tested it.
When it turn on and turn the light knob, I can see the line over the screen. I got it from a guy that works at a school, so after they chance to digital, they got rid of all the old equipment. it been handled with care, have always been indoor and there was no smokes in the room which it was located.

Therefor I want to sell it, since I know there is someone that would love to have it. So since I know so little about the value on these, I would like to know how much it can sell for.
The price I have found it about 182,75$ , is that fair, or can I get more for it

I have added a photo of it I got from the net, I might add my own later.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:19:38 pm by ziegler »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: trio 15MHz oscilloscope cs-1560A. How much can I sell it for?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 11:59:52 am »
A 15MHz CRT based scope is not going to get you that sort of money - unless yours in is exquisite condition and a collector just has to have it.  15MHz was appealing 40 years ago, but these days people start paying attention from 50MHz or so - but, even then, CRT is old tech.

That's not to say it isn't useful - far from it - but it won't have broad appeal.  If you aren't sure about how well it is operating, then that is going to cause uncertainty in potential buyers.  Both these things mean you are looking at lower prices.

How much is a fair price?  Good question.

I suggest, rather than looking for prices on the same model - go and have a look at prices of other scopes that a potential buyer might consider.  If somebody is offering a 50MHz CRO for $100 that is about the same in basic features and working, then you aren't going to get the sort of money you mentioned for yours.

A 15MHz analog CRO is great for a lot of audio work, but it is right at the bottom of the desirability scale.

JMHO

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 12:33:23 pm »
Location, location location.  It all depends on your local market.  In the US you'd be lucky to get $25 for it.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 01:28:56 pm »
Something that happens with old analog scopes is that their controls become flaky.
The gain and timebase could may have a position that works intermittently or simply it does not work at all.

The scope shown in the photo works great, but it has a particular tiembase position that is intermittent, you can actually see that someone actually put a dot on it to warn the unsuspecting user.

The potentiometers that control position also become flaky. I have seen scopes where one barely touches the vertical position knob and the trace goes off-screen.

So without actually having fully tested the scope yourself, you will have to advertise it "untested, as-is". That statement on itself will drop its price like a rock
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 01:30:54 pm by schmitt trigger »

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 01:41:40 pm »
Give it to a smart EE student without money.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 01:50:51 pm »
Without probes it will be difficult to shift 'as seen'.   Anyone who's got probes, almost certainly has a better scope, and a pair of cheap switchable x1/x10 probes in the EU will probably cost at least as much as its worth, which is hard to justify on a tight budget unless you *KNOW* the scope you are buying them for is in reasonable working order.   Unless you are in a major city with enough local enthusiasts so buyer collects is a low cost option, the delivery fee or the cost to the buyer of the road trip to collect it will probably kill the deal.

+1 for donating it to someone deserving who can use it.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 04:40:37 pm »
Location, location location.  It all depends on your local market.  In the US you'd be lucky to get $25 for it.

Also "Give it to a smart EE student without money."

VERY LUCKY!  The kid next door to me is a poor (broke) EE student and I took him to a local hamfest and he bought a working 20MHz scope for $15 and they threw in a free VTVM.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 05:05:42 pm »
you all bring up valid points, they all make a lot of sense. I remember I did check if the display-line was burn in to the screen, but that was not the case.
I did look into buying some probes from the UK version of ebay, and they only cost about 20$ (I never did though).

The marked for used old analog scopes in Denmark is okay, the list is never too long, always about 15 - 30 items.
I just looked at what the other models sell for (I checked earlier today, but used the english word instead of the danish word. which found nothing xD), here is what I found:

- Philips PM-3232 - 10 Mhz - 66,17$
- Philips PM-3540 - 25 MHz - 99,25$
- Hitachi v-660 - 60MHz - 115,79$
- Philips PM-3262 - 100 MHz - 140,60$
- KIKUSUI COS6100A - 100 Mhz - 165,42$
- metrix OX 725 - 20 mhz - 330,83$
- Tektronix 2221 - 100 Mhz - 347,85$

The price I listed in my first post, was based on an ebay search, where I found 4 of the same unit sold from the same person.

I now belive my chances are low, but if I list it for between 41,35$ and 82,71$, I think I would get it sold soon (might add 25%/50% to the price, since every buyer likes to haggle in my country).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:18:56 pm by ziegler »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 05:25:14 pm »
For those ebay searches, have you checked completed listings?  There are plenty of people who ask arbitrarily large sums for parts or equipment (maybe on the offchance someone doesn't know and actually pays it?) that never actually make a sale.  $330 for a 20 MHz scope is not going to sell.... or at least it shouldn't.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 06:01:45 pm »
The listed items are from our own danish ebay/craigslist.

For those ebay searches, have you checked completed listings?  There are plenty of people who ask arbitrarily large sums for parts or equipment (maybe on the offchance someone doesn't know and actually pays it?) that never actually make a sale.  $330 for a 20 MHz scope is not going to sell.... or at least it shouldn't.

I also think that one is overpriced, that is unfortunately the nature of buying from people who don't knwo what the stuff is worth.

I will try my luck with both (danish) DBA and ebay, just to see which place get the item sold first.

thanks for all the help, this forum have always been really helpful, so far it have never let me down.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 06:08:23 pm »
I think $20-$30 is probably a fair price assuming there's nothing major wrong with it. When you can get a top notch brand like Tektronix with 50-100MHz bandwidth for $100 or less there's little reason to pay much for a random 15MHz scope. I would be inclined to offer it cheaply to a needy student who is just learning electronics.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 06:20:38 pm »
I think $20-$30 is probably a fair price assuming there's nothing major wrong with it. When you can get a top notch brand like Tektronix with 50-100MHz bandwidth for $100 or less there's little reason to pay much for a random 15MHz scope. I would be inclined to offer it cheaply to a needy student who is just learning electronics.

true, but I don't know any electronic students. If I somehow could find one on this forum, that lives in Denmark and want to pay that low price (and also can come to my address to pick it up himself/herself), then I would. But then again, as you said yourself, there is better models for a great price.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 06:29:40 pm »
What did you pay for it?
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 06:30:51 pm »
$1/MHz is my rule. £1 in the U.K. as it’s getting pretty close now :)

+20% for digital scopes
+10% for not shit Tek units
+100% for newish digital scopes
-70% for dead scopes
-50% for purely tube scopes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 06:46:00 pm »
What did you pay for it?

I got it for free XD

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:53:52 pm by zucca »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 07:33:06 pm »
I got it for free XD

:horse:

http://www.mannkal.org/downloads/guests/deadhorsetheory.pdf

You got to make sure that horse is dead, otherwise it can come back to bite me in the ass later on
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:35:27 pm by ziegler »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 09:42:42 pm »
You could build a scope clock board and hook that to it then set it up on a shelf.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 10:00:45 pm »
I got it for free XD

:horse:

http://www.mannkal.org/downloads/guests/deadhorsetheory.pdf

You got to make sure that horse is dead, otherwise it can come back to bite me in the ass later on

The prices you are trying to wring out of someone for something you got for free 4 years ago that you don't even know if it works....you deserve to be bitten....HARD my friend!!  :-DD

That's if you don't sell said horse too! LOL

Stoater!  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 10:29:10 pm »
If someone wants to take it for 25 euro I would not waist time and pay him before he gets sober   >:D 

Over here also 1 euro/MHz but only 15 MHz , no probes, 4 years not used ?  That will not be easy. 
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 06:01:47 am »
you should change this post title to "FREE [denmark] trio 15MHz oscilloscope"
and maybe someone in this group who lives near you and has no scope but needs one will come and take it off your hands.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 12:21:21 pm »
ziegler if you can sing, just put a bucket in downtown street and start to sing your favorite one.
Probably two hours later you will get the same amount of money as a sold Trio 15MHz.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:09:34 pm by zucca »

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, julianhigginson

• Regular Contributor
Re: [FREE] trio 15MHz oscilloscope cs-1560A [pick it up in Denmark]
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 05:25:29 pm »
True ones again. I just want to get it out of my hands.

it is free, you just have to come and pick it up in Denmark (sjælland / hovedstadsområdet).
Í will give it a week from today, then try a post on my personal facebook page.

if that still have not gotten it out of my hands, I will just throw it out.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Zucca, julianhigginson, Mr. Scram

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf