Author Topic: Mastech MS5308 LCR Tester member discount  (Read 19277 times)

Offline iloveelectronicsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Mastech MS5308 LCR Tester member discount
« on: February 02, 2013, 10:18:38 am »
Hello all,

I have a number of brand new Mastech MS5308 LCR Testers in stock at the moment and am offering them for sale to forum members at the discounted price of $170, worldwide registered air parcel shipping (with tracking number) included. Batteries (8 x AA size) will not be included though due to Hong Kong Post's policy.

Another forum member, John, has a wonderful review here:

and I believe Martin (of MJLorton Youtube channel) will be doing another review video as well when the unit I sent him arrives.

WARNING: In his video, John talks about an issue with the power adapter at about 33:25 of the video. Basically the meter will not function correctly using that adapater. In fact, you should NOT be using the power adapter that comes with the package at all, because you could potentially damage the meter!

I have contacted the manufacturer directly and posted their official response in another thread but I'll repost it here:

To summarize:
    1. They are aware of the issues through reports from their customers.
    2. Besides the incorrect reading on resistance measurement as shown in John's video review, the power adapter could also potentially fry an IC (they didn't mention which one) and stop the meter from switching on.
    3. They acknowledge that it's a design flaw in the power adapter that causes excessive ripples, which leads to the above mentioned problems.
    4. The meter functions correctly and within specs otherwise (when on battery power).
    5. There's no fix at the moment apart from advising their customers against using the power adapter. For customers with a fried IC they will offer a replacement one with instructions and assistance on how to replace it. The power adapter will no longer be packaged with the meter from now on.
    6. They will be working on a redesign and modification in the documentation.
    7. After that they will modify based on the redesign all the units that still haven't left the factory.

I haven't tested the meter with a better DC 12V power adapter yet but I reckon it will work fine with a proper one. I may try to source some reasonably priced 12V adapters soon, after the Chinese New Year.

If anyone's interested in this meter, please either leave a message here in this thread, or contact me via PM. Thanks!

Cheers,
Franky

P.S. the pictures are taken with my own unit, the ones I'm selling would never be opened up like that :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:12:44 pm by iloveelectronics »
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
Re: Mastech MS5308 LCR Tester member discount
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:05:20 pm »
Hi Franky, yes I am in for one. I have been following the other thread and know about the power supply issue, I have no problem building my own linear supply. I was on the fence with this unit but figure it is correctable. I assume you prefer non-ebay, so send me a message to do the paypal thing.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:54:31 pm »
Hi Franky, I'd like to have one too. Please pm me the details.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 02:22:04 am »
Thanks a lot for all the interest! All PM responded. For those who have sent payment, your LCR meters will be shipped on Monday. Thanks!

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 08:38:56 am »
Is this still on? Would love to buy one at that price as well...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:50:33 am »
Yes, they are still in stock. Send me a PM with your paypal email address and I'll send you an invoice. Thanks!

Is this still on? Would love to buy one at that price as well...

Offline willb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 02:07:24 am »
Pm sent!

Offline staxquad

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eye Candy
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 10:30:51 pm »
PM sent, thanks
"TEPCO Fukushima you long time"
You say Vegemite, I say Yosemite. (Ve-gem-mit-tee, Yo-zey-might)  
"For starters : you're Canadian...."

Offline maxpayne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 06:59:03 am »
I need 2 pcs of MS5308. Do you have it ? Product need to be delivered to UK.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 08:37:30 am »
I need 2 pcs of MS5308. Do you have it ? Product need to be delivered to UK.

I do have the last 2 remaining in stock. If you could send me your paypal email address in a PM I will send you an invoice and reserve them for you. Thanks!

Cheers,
Franky

Offline maxpayne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 08:49:25 am »
PM sent. pls chk ..... :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 09:20:31 am »
PM sent. pls chk ..... :)

Invoice sent. Please note that I won't be able to ship until Thursday or later, as it is Chinese New Year over here and the post office is closed through Wednesday.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 09:31:09 am »
Thank you everyone for your interest and support. These meters sold out much quicker than I expected! I will be ordering more from Mastech after the holidays but I know pricing on their end has already been adjusted (over their entire range of products) so unfortunately my next batch for sale will be priced higher too :( I will make sure my price stays lower than anywhere else you can find though!

I will likely only have these back in stock in early April. Don't quote me on this but I believe the new ones will be slightly modified because of the power adapter issues, but will NOT come packaged with any power adapter anymore.

If you are still interested in getting one please contact me and I will make sure you get one when they are back in stock.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 05:02:41 pm »
how much shipping to italy will cost?
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 05:13:52 pm »

Worldwide shipping (with tracking) is already included in the price. However, I'm already out of stock on these. I will likely get some new ones in April but pricing will be adjusted as Mastech has increased their pricing over their entire product range just before Chinese New Year.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 05:19:31 pm »
So I got literally the last one at the old price then. I do like it, it is quite big, much bigger than any other meter I have.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 07:19:19 pm »

Worldwide shipping (with tracking) is already included in the price. However, I'm already out of stock on these. I will likely get some new ones in April but pricing will be adjusted as Mastech has increased their pricing over their entire product range just before Chinese New Year.

oooh what a bad news!
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 11:17:46 pm »
So I got literally the last one at the old price then. I do like it, it is quite big, much bigger than any other meter I have.

No, you didn't. I got 20 of those. Apart from my own and Martin's, you actually got one of first few units I sold.

Offline maxpayne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 03:05:58 am »
I m the one who got the last two ...  :D  :D  :D

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 07:58:51 am »
 |O
I wish I had waited a month later before buying mine. Paid about $20 bucks more on Ebay.
It is a very good LCR meter, just toss the power supply into the garbage, unless they changed them out with a better one.
“I predict that very shortly the old-fashioned incandescent lamp, having a filament heated to brightness by the passage of electric current through it, will entirely disappear.” -Nikola Tesla

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 03:49:57 pm »
Finished the linear power supply today, and it works. Very simple, an old 12VAC 1VA transformer ( dead clock radio), a 2A bridge rectifier ( out of the box of bits as the first that was small), a used 2200uF 25V capacitor ( checked it on the LCR meter before use, it was passable for capacitance, ESR and loss so in it went) and a 7812 regulator on a small heatsink ( A little overkill as it will never get warm even as the bare TO220 package but the tiny heatsink made it easier to epoxy down) with the negative grounded to mains via a small inductor. Added a 0.22uF class x capacitor to the input and then epoxied the transformer and the components into the recycled plug top case. Made sure there was a lot of clearance along with placing plastic isolation barriers between the mains side and the low voltage side. Wired it up point to point and reused the original cable strain relief for the Mastech power cord ( persuade the old one out then use superglue to hold the new one in) and added a used green LED as a power indicator. All in all about 2 hours work excluding curing time for the epoxy.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 07:26:06 pm »
Received my MS5308 today from Franky, and had a short look at the power supply. It's probably the worst one I've ever seen!
It is rated for 12V/1A, but loading it with a 33 ohm resistor (so something like 360mA) created an output with pulses from 7 (low) to 17 (high) volt!
I'm not even going to use it for something else or trying to fix it, what a piece of cr*p...
The meter is fine though, and since we already knew about the power supply there's nothing to complain about.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 08:52:44 pm »
|O
I wish I had waited a month later before buying mine. Paid about $20 bucks more on Ebay.
It is a very good LCR meter, just toss the power supply into the garbage, unless they changed them out with a better one.

$20 is el cheapo for a whole extra month of fun & experience. It is just 67 cents a day ;)

Offline staxquad

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eye Candy
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 08:05:19 am »
Did I get a dud I thought to myself?

Tested the supplied power adapter and found it was as noisy as alluded to so cut the cord and mated it with a 12V wall wart.  Scrounged some batteries (until I could go to the store to purchase fresh primaries), loaded them in and observed 3 bars on the battery indicator of the unit, seems reasonable.

Tried out the unit back and forth with AC and batteries, same result, frustration.  The meter in auto LCR just would not settle on the type of component, let alone a proper value for L, C or R.  Switching to L, C, or R modes stopped the incessant dancing around from L, to C, to R in auto LCR mode, but still would not settle, or would settle on a completely bogus value.

Not knowing what was going on, I tested the wall wart's voltage and it fluctuated from 12.5V down to 12V depending on the load MS5308 drew.  So I tried a CV power supply (12v, 10A, switching), adjusted it to 12.00V and as MS5308 operated, the voltage remained constant, but this time MS5308 operated as you'd expect, homing in on the component mode then the correct value in auto LCR and the individual modes.

Afterwards checked the voltage on the supplied power adapter to see what it was adjusted to, 12.45V.

So for the unit to function properly, it requires fresh primary cells or a constant voltage power supply.  The unit is not a dud. 

1V/div, 100khz repeat (2 micro sec/div)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:42:30 am by staxquad »
"TEPCO Fukushima you long time"
You say Vegemite, I say Yosemite. (Ve-gem-mit-tee, Yo-zey-might)  
"For starters : you're Canadian...."

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 07:59:03 pm »
@staxquad: a little warning

Have you seen the other thread started by wavebits? ms-5308-power-supply-issues

That thread indicates that there is a LDO on the inside that is operating right at its maximum input voltage. I have been ultra cautious with my unit. First when I loaded it with fresh alkalines I measured a battery voltage of 12.79 (before inserting all) so I replace 4 batteries with some Nimh rechargeables to bring it back down to 11.75. It has been working fine with full battery indicator. It does hunt a bit with nothing connected to the inputs before settling on 9.2 pF but that is expected. When I build a dedicated bench supply for this thing I am going to set the output to 11.5 volts. I haven't used it that much yet  but find it is more fun than expected when I do.

edited: having trouble with the URL thing, think it is fixed now
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:26:41 pm by chickenHeadKnob »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf