Author Topic: Wanted: Monitor wall mount  (Read 1230 times)

Offline RanaynaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Wanted: Monitor wall mount
« on: January 21, 2019, 07:56:20 am »
Hi everyone,

I am looking for wall mounts for my two 24" Dell monitors. I want more space on my desk and for that want to get rid of the stands.
The monitors have standard VESA mounting capabilities.

The amount of wall mounts that are available is quite staggering, but maybe someone here has some experience there :)

I want the mount to be movable in all directions while being as flat as possible when the monitors are pushed back against the wall. The two monitors are not the same, and I am not sitting fully centered, so I need to be able to adjust them. Tilting horizontally and vertically are also required, while pivot is not (but likely included).

One last requirement: The mount has to be available in the EU, preferably Germany.

Greetings,

Ranayna
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:58:16 am by Ranayna »

Offline Acecool

• Regular Contributor
  • -Acecool
Re: Wanted: Monitor wall mount
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 11:29:09 am »
Check out Amazon for Suptek mounts... They hold up to 22 or so pounds, and can hold any size monitor with vesa mounts as long as the weight is right ( They say limited to 27", however there are plenty, including myself, who have larger monitors mounted and they work great - check out the reviews )... I have one on the wall, one on the desk and they are fantastic. They have all of the features you want for around $20 and $30 shipped depending which one you want. European prices may be different but here are the links...

This is the wall-mounted one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y8ERSPY?ie=UTF8&tag=acecool-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=B00Y8ERSPY

And this is the desk one I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AXE2O6K?ie=UTF8&tag=acecool-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=B01AXE2O6K

Both are typically the same price, but the white one can go as low as $18 shipped. For some reason the desk clamping one is $43 now, but it is usually $30, and sometimes a little less.

Both are fully adjustable and they are essentially identical except the arm to mounting option and the mounting option. The cable management isn't that great - the plastic sheath which goes around the forearm has a track for 2 small wires, I had to use tape to put a power wire and a thin wire in - now I just use zip-ties... However, aside from that shortcoming, these seem to be the best mounts I've tried, used or found because of the fully adjustable gas-spring system. You can adjust it up to the 22 or so pound mark to make moving the monitor as easy as using a single finger. You can Pitch, Yaw and Roll the monitor on top of being able to set it almost flush against the wall to about 2 feet away from the wall. The gas piston adjusts the weight for moving the monitor along the up / down axis. The forward / backward and left / right axis are on pins which aren't difficult to move the monitor with. And the pitch, yaw and roll angling is along another path - you can adjust angling with 2 bolts, and the gas piston is adjusted with a hex key they provide and they provide a simple wrench for the 2 bolts.

Photos:

This one shows the new 4k monitor ( I haven't purchased the wall suptek in this photo ) but notice how low to the desk I can put the monitor... All the way down to it so an excellent range of motion. I got one for the wall for the top center monitor so when I have to lean back in my chair ( quite often ) with neck support, I can pull that monitor back too and it ends up looking like a cockpit. Right not the 2 right monitors are not hung.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9at76fug0hi1oy/20180310_045900.jpg?dl=0

The one downside to the mounts is the cable-management as I touched on. On top of the poor cable routing slot, the plastic sheathe which goes over the bar to make it look 'better' blocks the range of motion. I have actually removed the sheathe off mine, and the other one which screws in, on the top monitor so it could be lowered a few inches more, which shows a an unpainted metal bracket and the black piston. I'd be happy to show that that looks like, but since it is on the top one it isn't seen ( especially when the other monitors on the right get hung again when I buy a few more of these mounts ) and the extra range of motion without is worth it. I may end up painting it with piano lacquer later or regular paint... We'll see..

One of the reasons I did NOT go with the dual, triple, or double-decker hex or quad mounts is because they all have problems with SAGGING. Every single brand that I saw has this issue... The suptek brand does offer a dual one which uses the gas piston system instead of fixed arms which means even if there is a tilting issue ( since they both hang from one bar ) they can be adjusted to line up as you want them so I am considering getting a dual version to try ( and it has a tall pole so I could actually get 2 and only clamp one to the table, then use both duals on a pole for my center and right monitors, then for my left I'd use the current wall or table mount )..

As far as how much distance from the vesa mounting point to the wall when the monitor which is wall mounted is when it is set back as far as possible ( and you can rotate the hinge a bit to actually help with it, or kick it out a bit, and doing that also offsets it a little left / right depending on the way the < elbow > hangs so if you don't mount it exactly how you want it, you can just move the > angled part to the other side and it should be centered. Anyway, the distance from wall to vesa / back of monitor is: approx 3.5 inches....

The 3.5 inches comes from the back of the Angling portion of the mount so there really shouldn't be any other mount which could do much better, if at all since this is pretty heavy duty. and 3.5 inches isn't that much - I'd consider that pretty flush against the wall, especially as the monitors are typically tilted anyway which leads to about that difference if mounted as a tv, or non-centered position... IE: If I had mine flush against the wall, the bottom of the monitor would touch first before the 3.5 inch long pivot / angling axis does - but then again I may angle mine more.

If you want up to date pictures let me know.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:45:32 am by Acecool »
Just because it works, doesn't make it right -Josh 'Acecool' Moser

Offline RanaynaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 10:00:51 am »
Thank you for your feedback. That Suptek mount goes into the direction I want, but does not seem to be available on Amazon Germany. While your linked mount ships to Germany, I do not want to deal with the hassle of importing it.

By now, this "wallmounting my monitors" project has also quite grown in scope  ;D
Not only am I thinking about replacing my monitors with new 27" Slim Bezel variants, but I also have to replace/re-design my desk/workbench as well. I will likely open a new thread regarding that. But due to that I think I do not need that absolute flatness anymore.
At work, we once tried dual monitor desk mounts... Those were *always* skewed at an angle, even if the two monitors were exactly the same. So while it would surely be easier to mount, I am sure I want two separate wall-mounts.

Anyway, some mounts, similar to what you linked, available in Germany:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01N2BBFEA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1J0CBDEFPK8LE&psc=1
My original first pick. But now, having looked at a lot more options, I think this one is having one joint less than would be needed for full motion. Also very short.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0722YHHX7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1J0CBDEFPK8LE&th=1
Same manufacturer, and misleading name. I originally thought this was a single mount for two monitors ;) Relatively short when fully extended, less than 40 centimeters.

https://www.amazon.de/AmazonBasics-Arm-f%C3%BCr-LCD-Monitore-Wandhalterung-Schwarz/dp/B010QZCT5W/ref=pd_rhf_schuc_p_img_9?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=6A2S2SS4AXMEGA6R6YGN&th=1
Amazon Basics, but still quite expensive. Apparently a re-branding of a reputable (and even more expensive) brand. Medium length, 64 centimeters, an additional extender is available.

At the moment, despite the price, I'm tending towards the Amazon Basics mount, mainly due to the length. If I get new monitors (would be 27" with WQHD (2560x1440)), it would be nice to be able to pull them closer. My eyes are not getting better, and currently my view distance is about 80cm to a meter.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 02:57:01 am »
Man I get these wall mounts from local thrift store for literally 0.50USD each. Shipping would be a bit, but if you got a group together I could send you 10 of them in a box and make it worth the price to send them over. I will do an eBay listing and you can get them cheap as hell and use the global shipping feature.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 10:48:11 pm »
Monoprice has some low cost TV and monitor wall-mounts, arms etc. I use in my lab.
Oops but North America, not sure about Germany.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf