Author Topic: My First Ebay return  (Read 27825 times)

Offline SpidersWeb

• Supporter
Re: My First Ebay return
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2015, 12:06:55 am »
I'm probably too late on this, but from watching lots of youtube ebay scam videos, one thing I did learn was that if you call (not email) ebay and are polite, they can often solve these issues for you immediately.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2015, 05:38:25 pm »

I have "returns not accepted" in all my listings. What do you do? There is a specific field for it.

"Returns not accepted" means NOTHING according to E-bay.  If it doesn't work 100% or you don't know if it works 100%, you have to categorize it as "For Repair or Parts Only".  If you categorize it as "Used" then it MUST work, pure and simple.  That's straight out of E-bay's rules.

I often list items as "For Repair or Parts Only" simply because I can't test every possible function or because I simply don't want to spent the time to do so.  Generally I still get about 60% of the price of a working used unit but with a LOT less work and zero hassle if something turns out to be bad.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2015, 06:08:03 pm »
So, what did end up happening Dave?
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2015, 08:13:09 pm »
I figured that this was a good a place as any to share my grief, I came across a Tektronix 1503C time domain reflectometer (TDR) on EBay, local pickup with a buy now for $250 and bidding started at $150, the sellers history was in good order with about 50 transactions so I put a bid in a few hours before the end and got it as there were no other bids.

I sent the seller my details and a couple of days later he rang and we arranged a mutually agreeable time to finalise the deal, we spent about an hour on the phone talking and both had worked in similar fields at different times.

On the day I went over to his location and he had the TDR set up on the bench it all looked good and I ran through a couple of diagnostic tests and it passed with flying colours, he threw in a few connectors and adaptors and I paid him cash and went on my merry way.

I got it home and set it up on the bench with a variety of both spooled and boxed cables and it was well within original specification, initial testing was over an hour and it worked flawlessly, I shut it all down to have dinner after which I intended to continue testing and making comparative tests against our existing TDRs but unfortunately it refused to boot up and I've spent many hours studying the service manual and probing test points and voltages, I've rang him a couple of times without response not so much for a refund which I don't think I'm entitled to anyhow but simply to share my pain.

The unit was sold as used, working and fully operational and technically this was all true for a little over an hour, I must admit that I have had a pretty good run in the past buying gear and was probably overdue for a rude awakening, anyhow this thing is wearing out it's welcome on my bench so this one goes in the bad luck bin I'm afraid unless someone needs some spare parts or some teardown pictures, it's a big heavy unit and would cost a packet to send to anyone including Dave.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:18:06 pm by Muttley Snickers »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2015, 08:23:47 pm »
@Muttley - SUE THE BASTARD!!!!  |O CAN YOU CLAIM DAMAGES???  |O I'M SURE YOU HAD TO TAKE TIME OFF WORK FOR THIS!! AT LEAST A COUPLE DAYS PAY!??!?? OMG!!! AND YOU AND YOUR WIFE HAVE EMOTIONAL DAMAGE THAT NEEDS PRIVATE THERAPY BECAUSE SHE BURNED THE DINNER AND STUFFS!!  :palm:

...oh bugger, you're not from the USA, ah.. never mind, it's just one of those things... Life's rich tapestry, if you will...  no big deal :-DD

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2015, 06:50:15 am »
Yes my dear friend I got done like a dinner on that deal but inspired by your comment I went on a mission today to get some back and I managed to do just that..... :-+

I ended up with a Fluke 289 FVF complete kit in immaculate condition and listed as new, soft case, magnetic holder, leads, IR cable, CDs and the unopened books all for the price I think I deserved which was $300 AUD so about $216 US, absolutely chuffed and it should turn up early next week unless of course I got done like a dinner once again, pretty safe bet this one..... :).. :-DMM.. :)

Offline gilbenl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2015, 05:32:48 am »
Piss situation but I'd just do the refund and recoup your item. You never know what happens in shipping. If it's good, you can resell.

He may never even print the shipping label having hoped that you would just say screw it and refund without return.
What doesn't kill you, probably hurts a lot.

Offline pullin-gs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2016, 03:13:43 pm »
Yes, give the dude back his money and be done with it.
Saves you a headache and saves you the negative feedback strike you will get from the guy.
This happened to me TWICE in december....both times having to do with proxy-international-shipping through ebay.  The dudes bought my stuff fair+square, decide that it costs too much to ship on their end, and then they cried like babies and asked for their money back.  At least I did not have to pay anything extra in return shipping.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2016, 06:48:51 pm »
Saves you a headache and saves you the negative feedback strike you will get from the guy.

I think we have Daves buyer here guys!!  :-DD :-DD  ;) ;)

Offline pullin-gs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2016, 07:51:30 pm »

I think we have Daves buyer here guys!!  :-DD :-DD  ;) ;)
Busted! I've been found out!   :palm:
King Duncan never had a chance!. :scared: :clap:

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2016, 11:14:55 pm »
So, what did end up happening Dave?

Oh, forgot to update this.
I got the scope back, and he paid postage to return it. Ebay refunded his money including my postage cost. So basically I'm just out the one way postage cost.
It does indeed fail the self cal channel adjustment, but passes the power-on self tests as I showed in the ad.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2016, 01:35:48 am »
But does it work? :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf